Forte and chorus

dtr20

21 hours ago, dtr20 said:

I was wondering why was the forte was designed with a passive radiator and the chorus was ported? Then why did they change to the passive radiator for the chorus ii? 

From everything I've ever heard/read, the Chorus was to be an option (smaller footprint) and/or replacement for the Cornwall II. The Cornwall was a front ported speaker so it could be placed against a wall or in a corner. And I'm guessing that's why the original Chorus also had ports on the front.

In 1990 Cornwall II production was stopped, and the Chorus II was introduced. And since the Cornwall was no longer around, I'm guessing the Chorus II was changed to match up with the Quartet and Forte II, both of which had rear passive radiators and the new Tractrix midrange, which were updated the year before in 1989.  This created a trio of models which all had a similar design and a matching midrange horn.

Im sure there's an acoustic/engineering reason, but someone like @Chief bonehead

would have to answer that question.

• Like 1

Hopefully someone from Klipsch will comment.

I've seen some discussion that some very effective ported designs can be made but the port turns out to be very very large to get a large mass of air.  With a drone you don't need the large mass of air from a large port because you just add weighs to the drone.  Maybe, maybe, Klipsch were taking advantage of these factors to make the Forte (I).  IIRC the Forte uses a woofer with a very low Qts and maybe that is what was a design issue.  It appears there is not room on the front panel to fit the passive though maybe a little distance helps even out interference at the crossover point or putting it on the back addresses vibration issues.

The next step in evolution was the addition of the tractrix mid. The Audio article seems to describe that the Forte (I) was used as a test rig for this.  OTOH, some comments by Roy makes me think that the Quartet was in the works at about the same time and might have been the Heresy X  (though maybe that referred to the Forte II which has 12 inch woofer like the Heresy).  Again, very hazy.  I'd think that research was to be applied to a family of upcoming products and they triplets rather than spaced out relatives.

In any event, as mentioned by GPB, Klipsch eventually produced the family of Quartet, Chorus II, and Forte II which are  baby bear, momma bear, and papa bear.  In the specs the Forte II goes a bit lower though with less sensitivity. 

WMcD

Good point about the Cornwall, that could very well be why. I always assumed the Chorus 1 had front ports like that because of the "pro" woofer, which was sold separately as a sub in a similarly designed, front ported cabinet.

ki-115.jpg