McIntosh MA5200 paired with Heresy III?

CLhigham

Well I have had a MC 2125 hooked to Heresy 1s and sounded awesome I sold that for a Dynaco st-70 to try a tube amp.. I'm sure that 4500 dollar amp will sound fine. Its a little of over kill but if you got the money you might want to wait for the Forte III.  I don't have 4500 for an amp but if I did I would love to try it....I was also looking at new  Dennis Had tube amp before this Dynaco kinda fell in my lap.

You looking at the Heresy because of size limits in the home??? We might need to know more of what your looking to do.

PS.   Are you looking to adopt a grown up...lol

Thanks for your reply!  I do realize it might be like shooting a mouse with a howizer, not that I would ever shoot a mouse, but I'm looking for the ability to upgrade later by adding the McIntosh now with existing Heresy 3s. Bought a Rotel A14 as a family gift over Christmas and while I enjoyed it for the first few days, there were noticeable deficiencies regarding rythmic definition and vocal clarity. I'm hoping by switching to the McIntosh this will clear those issues up for me even with the Heresys. While I know that the system would be unevenly matched, concerns too about not having tone controls.  Hoping that the Heresys and the Mac will fall in love with each other and sing beautifully like a smart hard working blue collar fella and socialite might with a shared common heart! ;-). At least for now...

1 hour ago, CLhigham said:

Greetings all,

Can anyone share your experience, thoughts and/or opinions concerning matching a new solid state McIntosh MA5200 with Heresy III speakers?  You input is greatly appreciated!

The primary purpose of an amp/pre is to deliver to the speakers the cleanest and quietest and most accurate audio signal possible. McIntosh solid state amp/pre is designed and engineered to do this. An amp/pre should not impart a sound of it's own.

Klipsch speakers are very efficient and sensitive. To make them sound their best you want an audio signal with no distortion and high signal-to-noise ratio. McIntosh amp/pre excels in this area, not to mention several other areas of performance which contribute to the sound quality of Klipsch speakers.     

2 hours ago, ricktate said:

To get tone controls have to go to MAC6700 that gets you 100 more watts , tone controls . 

The essential $2,000 difference between the MA5200 and MA6700 are autoformers which are signature McIntosh. They ensure up to and including the full 200 watt available power at all frequency and impedance levels. This results in less heat build-up and prevents potential thermal compression at high and extended SPL listening levels. This is typically not an issue with Klipsch speakers. 

• Like 1

Right. Get that, but $2,000 is still another $2,000 and I believe that 100 watts is probably more than adequate for my listening space.  Pushing my budget as is.  Still kinda dumbfounded concerning lack of tone controls on this.  Do they build this particular unit differently somehow making tone controls less of an issue?  Rhetorical question.  Think that maybe a question for McIntosh labs to answer.

We can help with information regarding brands, models, features, and performance. You will have to handle pocketbook issues yourself. Regarding the latter, I recommend you explore options with Mike at Audio Classics.  

ps - McIntosh owner's manuals, available from their web site, provide detailed descriptions and features by product 

• Like 1

You need to talk to Tom Manley at McIntosh Audio.   He has a fantastic selection of vintage McIntosh and is a great guy as well.  He'll be more than happy to discuss your needs and help you find the McIntosh amp that works for you.  (If you're willing to work with tubes, an MC 275 would make those Heresies sing... ).  I picked up my MA 6200 from him and couldn't be happier with my purchase -- and it was $2800 less than what you're willing to spend, so you should be like a kid in a candy store browsing his site.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dawson's Ridge said:

There have been significant technology, parts quality, and performance improvements (understated) since 1978 when the MA6200 was introduced. Not even in the same zip code.

I'm partial to vintage McIntosh: it's within my price range, and it comes with history.  I'd love to A/B my MA6200 against an MA5200 in my setup and hear the difference.  I still haven't listened to enough high-end equipment to have any idea of how much better a $25k Mark Levinson or Krell amp sounds next to a $7500 contemporary McIntosh amp vs. my setup.  But I'd also recommend the OP check out an MC275 (new or vintage) as tubes go well with Klipsch and the MC275 is a legend among tube amps.

Edited by KenazFilan
fixed typo -- "how much *better* a $25k..."
  • Like 1

I've also been looking at the 5200. My journey has taken me through many AVR's, Rotel separates, and now to integrated. Simple. Bass and Treble. If you can't make it sound right with that it's the speakers or the room. I'm not in the camp of "pairing" power and speakers. Quality power is essential but the speaker is the dominant variable.

I've diverted my attention from the 5200 to the Yamaha A-S1100. I'm running an 801 now which works perfect. My tone controls are damn near flat. 

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s1100_g/?mode=model

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carbon_66 said:

I've also been looking at the 5200. My journey has taken me through many AVR's, Rotel separates, and now to integrated. Simple. Bass and Treble. If you can't make it sound right with that it's the speakers or the room. I'm not in the camp of "pairing" power and speakers. Quality power is essential but the speaker is the dominant variable.

I've diverted my attention from the 5200 to the Yamaha A-S1100. I'm running an 801 now which works perfect. My tone controls are damn near flat. 

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s1100_g/?mode=model

What model rotel separates ?

I've been sort of confounded by rotel's popularity. I've never heard any rotel gear I loved. I liked the CD player something 955 or 950 or something, but its display conked out. Of course I've only heard 3-4 of them. Almost no receivers of old, oooo I have a Martel tube receiver (old rotel) that needs repair. Maybe it will be good. They all look impressive inside, and on paper, but don't sound to my liking.

Worse yet, rotel also owns B&W and I'm truly impressed with those, except with the plate amps. Somehow I have a ASW3000 plate amp that when you wave your hand near one opamp, it will hum worse. It has a faint but audible hum, and get your finger near it and it is louder. I think they don't have a ground to it. Bad design.

Cool.

Srinath.