Klipsch vs. Bose (video)

Quiet_Hollow

Courtesy of another YouTube audio enthusiast, we can finally present these two videos (about the first minute of each) that afford some degree of comparison between an all-horn Klipsch Heritage based system and a Bose Acoustimass 10, both in a 5.1 arrangement.

Not a perfect scenario, but still close enough to draw some general conclusions. The blu-ray source and particular scene are the same. The amps are very similar (both Pioneer D3). Yet, my sub is not adjusted ideally and my MCACC time window, at the time of recording, was a little on the hot side. On their video the amp is set to THX Cinema, which it shouldn't be, the recorded audio is compressed somewhat (from a cell phone or the like) and the room acoustics....well, you can get a great idea what a hardwood floor will do to the sound in that regard.

There's lots to discuss here so take a listen to both and fire away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jason str said:

The Klipsch system sounds better on my Bose computer speakers. :emotion-14:

:ph34r:

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

This is a joke right?  :huh:

The above A/B suggests how each approach works out in-practice. It's not like either system is simply cobbled together, nor recorded too poorly. :emotion-22:

• Like 1

I know it's popular to rag on Bose but my Bose 301 has a really pleasing sound, especially at conversational levels.  The key is you have to use it within its sweet spot.  If you try to push it to higher SPL the sound becomes unbalanced, fast.  The highs never gets higher and the mid-bass gets muddy.

I think if used for near-field or TV level listening most of you guys would like the nice full sound, it's not thin at all at lower levels.  It's not bad at all within its $250-300 price point.

You can't play two different speakers in two different rooms, record their sound using a microphone and digital recorder, upload the recording onto and download it from YouTube using god-knows-what encoding, play that recording through a computer's sound card of unknown audio quality and through who-knows-what computer speakers and use that listening experience as the basis to make any judgments whatsoever about the sound quality of either of the speakers in question. The many, many variables in this methodology make it useless as a tool for judging sound quality.

I've been making semi-professional recordings of musical instruments for over 30 years. In that time I've found that moving a microphone just an inch or two relative to the instrument can significantly change its sound on the recording, and this is with all the other variables being identical. Any comparison involving as many variables as the above videos is simply too unscientific to yield any sort of reliable conclusion.

• Like 2

This type of comparison, although interesting on some level, has absolutely no value and is totally worthless as far as making a serious A/B comparison of any item or items under consideration.  I will say that the Bose system looked great and that most people would choose it over any brand of big speakers you might care to mention, including Klipsch.  That's just fact.  If you want to compare like with like, compare the Bose system with the most similarly sized and priced Klipsch set-up (Quintet or G-12).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jdmccall said:

compare the Bose system with the most similarly sized and priced Klipsch set-up (Quintet or G-12).

sized probably but when is the last time you looked up a lifestyle setup? they can get to 3-4 grand. won't find quintets for that. but i do agree its kind of a dumb comparison. 

• Moderators

I've been admiring  Quiet Hollow and his posts for years, somehow I'm not convinced that his question is all that serious; is it more a comment about videos from the recent CES shows of systems like the Delgados/F3s, etc with iPhone?

Then he pulled out the GL 1 card, so now I'm really not sure, he has been quiet.  (I know he is "Quiet", he has not been responding).

What really gets me is TV makers trying to spiff up a picture on a new tech display, like 4K, that they know you are seeing on 1080, or worse.  Every ad has a disclaimer at the bottom that says "picture is simulated."

I guess if someone has that great Cannon video camera, always wanted one, they can go into a B&O store and video that, and then maybe go into a theater Chief Bonehead has set up, (synching the camera audio into a Nagra at the highest Rez) with a water cooled laser 4K projector, full blown Atmos system with 5 of his Gradures across the front, etc.  

I guess the question is, what are you trying to compare?  

Somehow I'm expecting the sound of a shoe to drop in one or both of those videos.

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Quiet_Hollow said:

The thread view count doesn't lie.

Well let me help.

I could barely hear a difference if any from this 1/2" monitor speaker. And all this time I thought the Heritage was better that my monitor speaker, what a let down.