Klipsch vs. Bose (video)

Quiet_Hollow

I find this comparison quite relevant. Having moved to China and living in an apartment now, I was looking for something compact to wall mount and keep safe from my cat. Listened to the Bose AM10s with a movie. Didn't sound great but was passable. Then put on an Eagles CD, thanked the guy and ran. Listened to some Monitor Audios Bronzes etc next and then purchased a bunch of Klipsch RP series (RP 260F, RP 250F and RP 440C and Onkyo TX RZ810). Couldn't be happier and going to buy another set for my other apartment. The cat has attacked the grills only once so far and they survived unfazed.

I really want to like Bose, their designs are excellent and perfect for condos etc, but their sound just doesn't cut it. Their BlueTooth speakers and computer speakers are alright though. Tried the new QC35 BlueTooth headphones with my iPhone and they constantly cut out or dropped signal. Great marketing and they satisfy their target market, but not for me.

Edited by BernardLVH
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, BernardLVH said:

I find this comparison quite relevant. Having moved to China and living in an apartment now, I was looking for something compact to wall mount and keep safe from my cat. Listened to the Bose AM10s with a movie. Didn't sound great but was passable. Then put on an Eagles CD, thanked the guy and ran. Listened to some Monitor Audios Bronzes etc next and then purchased a bunch of Klipsch RP series (RP 260F, RP 250F and RP 440C and Onkyo TX RZ810). Couldn't be happier and going to buy another set for my other apartment. The cat has attacked the grills only once so far and they survived unfazed.

I really want to like Bose, their designs are excellent and perfect for condos etc, but their sound just doesn't cut it. Their BlueTooth speakers and computer speakers are alright though. Tried the new QC35 BlueTooth headphones with my iPhone and they constantly cut out or dropped signal. Great marketing and they satisfy their target market, but not for me.

Bose....better sound through marketing.

I have had (and still do actually have) some Bose stuff. Let's ignore the 901's for now. Their stuff is good for what it is.

That means, IMHO, that they do not compete with Klipsch. Totally different worlds. Is a Ferrari as good on gas as a Prius? Do people lust over a Prius? Both "do the same thing", just in their own way.

Make sense?

• Like 1

On 2/1/2017 at 10:04 AM, CECAA850 said:

Bose wouldn't get bashed as much if they didn't charge such outrageous prices. 

Absolutely the issue. Bose isn't bad, but they are bad for their prices. Their marketing and advertising is the only thing that makes them what they are. Think about it, besides Bose, who else has the marketing and advertising they do? I don't ever see commercials for any other speaker system or brand on the market today? Why is that? Bose, in my opinion, is like Apple. They cater to a similar crowd, and are overpriced for what they are. I can get a tablet for 300 dollars and it will work just fine, but slap an apple logo on it and it pops up to 700 dollars with a slightly different user experience. I look at Bose the same way. Because of their name, people buy into the hype. They think just because its the biggest "name" that it must be the best, so they are willing to pay top dollar. For instance:

My dad decides he wants a sound bar for their new kitchen set up a few years back. He decides he wants to see if Bose has something in that category. He finds one for $1500, and says "Well, it's expensive, and it's Bose so it must be good." No research, no reading reviews, just recognizes the name as a trusted name in the industry and pulls the trigger on the purchase. They love it and think the world of it. But I can guarantee you there is a better soundbar out there for 1/2 that price. 

Before you go and call me a hater on Bose, my previous setup was all Bose. 301 for fronts, Bose center (discontinued for good reason), and 201s for side and rears. I can promise you that upgrading to Klipsch was money well spent, and the difference isn't close at all in sound quality or depth. 

• 2 months later...

the big 3 i always consider for music / media combos are klipsch, B&W, and martin logan. each has a different sound and depending on the room and what's used to push them along with what's being played each of those has strengths and weaknesses. i own 2 of those 3 brands in my own home at the moment. B&W in the office and bedroom and klipsch in the living room. 

i don't honestly know how bose stays in business. they have always sounded like very well refined $5 speakers....which....may be because they are really well refined $5 raw drivers