Reference Premiere or Pro Audio Cinema

nubbiess

Hello all!

I'm new to the forum and would appreciate any insights you may give about an upcoming project of mine.   I would like to utilize about half of a room that measures 30' wide by 58' long with 8' tall ceilings so their space would be 30' wide by 28' long and divide the room with a heavy curtain.  I'm not concerned with sound affecting the non-theater half of the room but only in optimizing the experience of the theater side.  I plan on using a 150"-160" screen with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio with my projector which will still be tight with only having 8' ceilings.  I am currently considering a 7.2.4 setup using 2x RP-280F, 1x RP-450C, 2x RP-160M, 2x RP-250S, 2x R115SW, and 4x CDT-5800-C II in ceiling speakers for the Atmos effect.  I was wondering at what room size one would consider using Cinema products instead of Home Theater equipment or if there are better options available that I haven't considered.  The room would be used nearly 100% for movie viewing with the first row of theater seating at approximately 10' from the screen with low-back sofas,  the second row would be theater seats at 17' from the screen, and the third row would be theater seats approx 23' from the screen.  Thanks for any suggestions!

Theater Example.pdf

Welcome.

The question of the room size is incorrect to ask (IMO) when determining which line to use.  I'd ask rather if it's going to be exclusively theater or if you're going to be wanting for music at all.  Are you referring to THX Cinema?  If so, from what I've read, you would be better off with Reference gear.

Theater is definitely the top priority, but it would be a nice option to be able to pull back the curtain and use the sound system for the whole room.  The other half of the room would be setup with a pool table and TVs.  I'm a complete novice here, but I was just referring to the speakers I see on klipsch.com as Pro Cinema or behind-the-screen speakers.  Thanks for your response.

8 minutes ago, nubbiess said:

Theater is definitely the top priority, but it would be a nice option to be able to pull back the curtain and use the sound system for the whole room.  The other half of the room would be setup with a pool table and TVs.  I'm a complete novice here, but I was just referring to the speakers I see on klipsch.com as Pro Cinema or behind-the-screen speakers.  Thanks for your response.

I missed that you were referring to Pro Cinema instead of THX Cinema.  I'd handle Pro any day of the week.

I would like to stay within the same budget price as the RP 7.4.2 system if it would only be geared for the theater half of the room.  If the setup was versatile and could pull double duty with a theater zone and game room zone it would open access to additional money.  I had planned on using a Denon X6300H to power the speakers and handle the video, but am open to whatever will work best. How does Pro Cinema equipment compare to RP equipment in terms of cost, are they even close or more like 3-5x as much?

3 KI-396's at least on the front.  Cory could tell you better - but generally all matching speakers tend to provide you with the best sound and seamless stage.  So I'd say 5 KI-396's at the minimum.  Atmos - not sure.  You might need something fancier in ceiling too.

8 hours ago, nubbiess said:

Thanks.  What would a setup look like that used KI-396s, what would I need to compliment them?

At least three 396's across the front.  You could use the cinema surrounds in the rear and save quite a bit.  The KPT-8060-H isn't that bad.  

8 hours ago, IbizaFlame said:

If I recall right, KI-396's go for the ballpark of a couple grand a pair...but I don't know if that was with a premium on it or not.  I wanna say I saw them at $4K for a pair.

Official MSRP is $2,600 each.  For comparison's sake, an RP-280F is $480 right now, $675 when they're not on sale.  

• Like 1

dude your room is huge! cinema no doubt. make stuff work with your budget. where are you located? 

many thinks i would love for you to do your research on cause a bunch of it sounds like it won't work. first off is screen size. I'm sure you could fit a 150-160" screen being 2.35 in a 8 ft tall space but you will be very close to ceiling and floor. 

also i have a friend who sits 10 feet from a 158" and man is it overwhelming. too big in my opinion. 

also having three rows. id have to measure how far my screen is off the floor, but i sit at 12 and prolly 17-18 for the second row and I'm on a 13.5" riser and i get some of the bottom of the screen cut off from front row. unless everyone is all the way reclined up front. and my second row is really high up. a third row would be damn near the ceiling. 

just some things i noticed that sounded  a bit off. if you know what you are doing then so be it, things just don't sound like they would work out correctly. 

also atmos in .4 for three rows sounds about like a waste too. my two cents there. do a killer 7.2 setup with two rows. otherwise you need more ceiling height. 

OP, you room is about the size of mine.  I like the recommendations of the group.  I came to the conclusion that my RF 7 system and subs were not just doing it.  I took an approach of making the room smaller.  Doors and walls were put up to close down the space to around 4300 cu ft.  Replace the small subs with some big boy subs and could not be happier with my current setup.  I don't think the curtains dividing the two spaces will stop sound waves very much.  Heck, the waves will go thru wall, up heating vent, etc.

Pro will be performance bang for buck value. Your not paying for furniture type finishes with the pro speakers. That extra cost seems to be a lot more than I would have guessed. If putting those types of speakers in your room isn't an issue from the style and and size. Then its a no brainer. 

An even better value is the old heritage speakers. You can get cornwalls in the range $500 pair that are pretty clean if your take your time. For 750 pair you won't even have to look hard and you can find them fast and minty. I would rank cornwalls in RF-7iil level (and they are $3200 pair retail). Really anything else from any current reference line would be a step down after the 7s.