R-15 M vs. RB-61 II

BobbyR

I'm looking to purchase a set of bookshelf speakers.  I'll be using them primarily for records and in time CD or MP3.  Rock, Folk, Classical.  Largest room will be maybe 15' x 20'.  I enjoy distinct treble & bass, clear sound.  From reading reviews, I'm a bit worried about "fatiguing" treble, especially in the RM-15.  I can't afford the RB-81--at least not a pair.

Any opinions about how these speakers compare?  Qualities of either?

I didn't realize there might be deals out there ( I don't shop too much).  So, if I could find a deal on the RB 81 is the Rb 81 II  massively better than the RB 61 II ?  Or just moderately better for a room about 12 x 18?

It would sure nice to have 8" woofers like the old days!!

Edited by BobbyR

Honestly, the RB-81s only excel in absolute decibel output and sensitivity. Bass isn't even noticeably deeper. I think the RB-61 is the better overall speaker.

They have the same size horn and the 61 seems a bit better balanced with better integration between the woofer and tweeter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mattSER said:

Honestly, the RB-81s only excel in absolute decibel output and sensitivity. Bass isn't even noticeably deeper. I think the RB-61 is the better overall speaker.

They have the same size horn and the 61 seems a bit better balanced with better integration between the woofer and tweeter.

This.  In fact, the only bookshelf speaker I've noticed a difference between the 6" version and 8" version was the RB-3 to RB-5's.

I have a pr of RB-600's and have been trying to find the difference between them and the RB-61ll's.

According to Klipsch website they are identical but for the Xover, one @1500 and the other @2000.

Was the RB-600 just a brand name of ????? some retailer?

• 3 weeks later...

Purchased the RB 61's.  Quality great.  No complaints there.

The highs are remarkable, but sometimes they are actually painful, e.g. electric guitar.

Now and then, the bass seems strangely absent.

Some music is the best I ever heard it.  Other music is disappointing; just lacking.

What's going on here?  Expecting too much?  I need a warmer speaker?

Any comments or similar experiences?

Edited by BobbyR

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2017 at 1:18 PM, BobbyR said:

Much appreciated.  The one criticism I sometimes read, though much less on the RB-61, is "fatiguing" highs / treble.  Any truth to this or nice balance?   I have no demo to listen to where I live.

the RP series are the new equivalent and tamed down a bit

don't go for the spray painted icons, they are terrible

the rb61 has been on clearance lately and is a good buy. if you don't get that look to the rp 150m or 160m 

as for your other comment about the rb61s you bought, yes, horns change their sound dramatically depending on the room. large open areas tend to be best. small tile or hardwood floor rooms with little in them the worst. nearfield is also not something i would do with a horn. 

if it's a hardwood small area and or nearfield you might like the b&w 685 or martin logan motion 15 which is also sold as an lx16? the amp you drive them with also has a big impact. 

i like klipsch in my living room, however, i have a pair of b&w 602s3's {most amazing $500 bookshelf i have ever heard} at my desk and energies {another klipsch brand} in my bedroom

Edited by racebum
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply and thoughts, much appreciated and I will investigate.

I ended up returning the RB 61's just today.  Hated to let them go, but the highs often literally hurt my ears.  Piercing.   I had to back off the treble for most music.  I played mostly records using a Yamaha RX300u receiver.  On the plus side, the base was more solid as they broke in.

Yes, indeed, they were used in a room with a laminate wood flooring over concrete with a thin foam vapor barrier first placed over the concrete.   Room is about 15' x 25' with very high ceilings.  Perhaps it intensified the highs as you say.  As a note, I put them in a carpeted living room test for movies and indeed the highs not nearly as intense.

Thanks again.

13 hours ago, BobbyR said:

Thanks again.

you're welcome. if you like the slightly bright tweeter but not so in your face or piercing watch ebay for the b&w 601s3, it's the same size more or less as the rb61ii but it not so piercing. you still have that bright detailed high but not in an overwhelming way. used price is about $300 a pair for nice ones, maybe 350 if gem mint. the 602s3 is also better but often $100-120 more. the 602 has a LOT more bass extension. this is also the last of the made in england B&W 600 series and personally, some of it like the 602s3 and 603s3 floorstanders will out perform the 600 series they sell today when it comes to dynamics and tonal accuracy. 

i like klipsch and my living room setup works but it's not for every room or setup that's for sure

• 8 months later...

Just for anyone reading this old thread in the future...........keep in mind the source is hardly mentioned. Is this listening on a good source, media, quality units??? Entry level Yamaha??? ehh....I can make most any speaker sound good or really bad based on media, source, pre, amp, room etc......I have 61"s and find them rather good for an inexpensive speaker. Sometimes these threads just make little sense........but who knows how many people stumble across them and draw info ??

• Like 1