Just retired need help

Silverfoxvtx1800

Hello,

Lucky me I made it to retirement after 40 years driving a truck. Lately all I want  to do is listen to tunes and hang out. I found a couple of fortes in my closet that I bought in 1986 lucky the kids didn't steal them. I bought a new Sony 4k TV and a cheap Sony receiver to go with the tv. It sounds ok I guess. All I want to to end up with is a 4 speaker surround sound not all those different speaker settings. I do like my Apple TV to stream music and all the things the new receivers offer, airplay,Bluetooth etc....Does anyone have any suggestions on a receiver my budget is 2K or less? The Aventage RX-A1060 what do you think will I gain much from the cheap Sony receiver?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.  Congrats on retirement...and congrats on finding a pair of Fortes.  I'm not up on the latest receiver offerings but my experience trying a few brands (Onkyo, Yamaha & Harman Kardon), I love the sound of HK with Klipsch for music which is why I'm using a Harman Kardon in my 2ch setup. 

12 minutes ago, Silverfoxvtx1800 said:

It sounds ok I guess.

Just by that statement you are saying you aren't satisfied with the sound from the Sony (which is expected). 

I think you can spend a lot less than 2K and get a quality receiver. 

Check out www.accessories4less.com.  A lot of guys here have bought reconditioned receivers from them and were very happy.

• Like 1

Congrats on the retirement! My father was also a truck driver, I know the job can be stressful. I personally always liked the sound of Pioneer Elite with Klipsch heritage. I always found, and this was just me maybe others have had different experiences but Yamaha always seemed to be just too bright when paired with Klipsch so the sound became very piercing especially at higher volumes. 

Congrats on the retirement!  There's nothing better.  Best of all is finally getting enough sleep!!!

Have a look at the better Denon A/V recievers.  Well under your limit.  Also, Marantz, Onkyo and Integra. 

If you want to cut corners on your system, consider a 3 speaker array across the front.  It is old school from the 40s and having a matched center channel adds a lot of focus to movies in addition to helping lockdown vocals and drums in a stereo recording. 

Where do you live? 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Silverfoxvtx1800 said:

I live near Tacoma Wa......with all those 5.1, 7.1, 9.1. Can I get true surround sound with one of those setting? 2 speakers up front do the other 2 go in surround or surround back? 

All those configs you mention ARE surround sound.  Modern movies and even TV broadcasts are all done in at least 5.1 these days.  To be played correctly you need 5.1 and at a minimum 3.1.

I converted from 2.0 to 5.1 a few years ago because the TV broadcasts were screwed up when played in 2.0.  The voices were garbled and not loud enough, I couldn't hear what was being said, it was mixed with the music.  In 5.1 the voice is cleanly separated and thrown to the center speaker and the music is sent to the L/R.

John Albright just upstream ^^^ suggested 3 across the front, I agree.  Any mid-priced AVR has room correction software and will give you outstanding front end sound with multiple speakers.  The most common program is called Audyssey.  Then if you want to continue on to surround sound 5.1, 7.1, the AVR will handle the upgrades.