Marantz SR7010 + Klipsch RP-280F

Jefecito

Hi all there! :)

Im new to the Klipsch world and I kicked off with a Marantz SR7010 + Klipsch RP-280F to start with my home theater build for music and movies purposes. In the near future im planing to add the 450C center channel and a RP-115SW sub.... at the end depending on size of my future room size some RP-150 or RP260F as rear ones, but at the moment I live with only my floorstanding speakers. 

So far I'm inlove with my initial setup for music BUT not that much regarding movies. Im lacking bass punch at a decent volumen level, to put everyone in my scenario:

* Marantz amp goes from 0 to 98 in volumen level, so I watch them in 65.

* I use my 55 inch 4k tv to reproduce my movies with audio DTS support, Netflix or PC with HDMI.

Connections:

* Single wire Eagel 18 gauge cable (keeping the golden metal plate at the back of the speakers that RP-280F brings with them from LF to HF) to the respective front left/right speakers connections in the Marantz amp.

* Marantz to TV through HDMI (ARC) monitor connector.

I'm lacking that shock that I was expecting of an 8 inch cooper woofers that the speakers got,so my concern is, Do I have something wrong in the way I reproduce movies or how I hooked everything up? 

I know that when the RP-115SW arrives im going to be in heaven in terms of movie experience :D or at least thats what I expect.

Thanks for reading and any tips advices are welcome!

Jefecito,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice AVR, nice speakers.

Are you running the RP-280F's full range or do you have the low pass filter setting engaged.  With no sub yet, run them full range.

How large is your room?

How far is your main seating position from your front speakers?

Bill

Does the Marantz have your main speakers set to large or small?  Until you get a sub and center, tell the Marantz you have neither so it routes low-frequencies and the LFE channel to your main speakers, and you want them set to large.  Note this is all just temporary until you get the other speakers.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the fast reply, I attached a photo so you can see the conection (I have the metal plate placed if that was the question :) ). What do you mean by fullrange and low range? and in adittion I have them setted up in the Marantz config as Large speakers.

Regarding my room is about 20 m2 (square meters) and my setting position is about 3.5 meters awat from the speakers.

Thanks Blessedprince ill keep it like that.

Pbphoto i will check that config and see if I notice any change and report back.  

This  weekend i will have some spear time for testing. 

Dmb12679 yeap, indeed thats incoming soon, looking to get the Rp-115 that hope it shocks the hell out of me :)

Thanks for the support.

RP-280Fs produce low frequencies, but not with the same power of a dedicated sub. That's not a bad thing either, I find that full-range speakers plus a good sub just have much more power in the end compared to smaller speakers with the same sub. Plus, you won't need to set your sub's filter very high, so it can stick to doing what it's good at.

• 2 weeks later...

Another two things you can try: 1) Positioning of speakers relative to the wall can make a noticeable difference. Both the angle and the distance. 2) I once bought an Audioquest 6+ solid copper cable, quite thick gauge, and the bass on my Paradigm Monitor 7s was overbearing. Changed back to Kimber 4PRs and it was reduced. The gauge of wire may have an effect as well. I have 260Fs right now and in my room the bass is excellent. 

On 1/18/2017 at 9:31 AM, dmb12679 said:

Get a subwoofer asap.  Nothing wrong with the bass output of your speakers, they just don't play low enough for movies.  Sub(s) are a must with home theater.

I have the exact same speakers and AVR as the OP and initially I was going to order a SVS SB-2000. I played The Incredible Hulk with nothing but the RP-280f's set to large. Let's just say I've changed my mind and will save my $800. The deep low frequencies these towers put out are phenomenal.

On 1/17/2017 at 4:39 PM, Jefecito said:

Hi all there! :)

Im new to the Klipsch world and I kicked off with a Marantz SR7010 + Klipsch RP-280F to start with my home theater build for music and movies purposes. In the near future im planing to add the 450C center channel and a RP-115SW sub.... at the end depending on size of my future room size some RP-150 or RP260F as rear ones, but at the moment I live with only my floorstanding speakers. 

So far I'm inlove with my initial setup for music BUT not that much regarding movies. Im lacking bass punch at a decent volumen level, to put everyone in my scenario:

* Marantz amp goes from 0 to 98 in volumen level, so I watch them in 65.

* I use my 55 inch 4k tv to reproduce my movies with audio DTS support, Netflix or PC with HDMI.

Connections:

* Single wire Eagel 18 gauge cable (keeping the golden metal plate at the back of the speakers that RP-280F brings with them from LF to HF) to the respective front left/right speakers connections in the Marantz amp.

* Marantz to TV through HDMI (ARC) monitor connector.

I'm lacking that shock that I was expecting of an 8 inch cooper woofers that the speakers got,so my concern is, Do I have something wrong in the way I reproduce movies or how I hooked everything up? 

I know that when the RP-115SW arrives im going to be in heaven in terms of movie experience :D or at least thats what I expect.

Thanks for reading and any tips advices are welcome!

I have a Marantz SR-7010 running RP-280's only set to large. I hooked mine up and noticed that the volume was low with little bass no matter how far I cranked it up. I did a factory reset on the Marantz (googled) and did not run Audessy. This did the trick for me and now I am impressed :-)

17 hours ago, miliellie111 said:

I have the exact same speakers and AVR as the OP and initially I was going to order a SVS SB-2000. I played The Incredible Hulk with nothing but the RP-280f's set to large. Let's just say I've changed my mind and will save my $800. The deep low frequencies these towers put out are phenomenal.

Order the SB-2000, if you don't have a sub, you will be pleasantly surprised, if not blown away over the bass compared to the 280's.