Plate amps vs Inuke or Crown

tromprof

I am currently running Bash 300 watt plate amps on my two F20 subs. I have been contemplating picking up a Crown or Inuke amp to take over that duty since I have balanced output from my pre-pro and digital crossovers. I am using Crown on the rest of the system.  Any opinions whether there will be any sonic benefits? 

9 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Only if you take advantage of some of the EQ functions and your current amp is producing sufficient wattage.

Power is fine and I have the ability to EQ in the crossovers so it sounds like a waste of $. I'm OK with that. ;)

The father of the LilMike F20 seems to think 300 watts is just the right amount of power.

I ran out of amp before I hit the driver's limits, so a 300 watt amp is a great match. Highpass at 20.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1329971-lilmike-s-cinema-f-20-a.html#post20330637

Hard to answer without a FR graph.  DSP and EQ can be helpful in other spot than just the XO.  Plate amps don't take up space and are a nice, clean, less fuss look.  Even though I have sub EQ, I find the additional PEQ/DSP in the I Nukes something I don't want to live without.  If you are happy, stop looking.  It is the still looking around part that gets' us spending more money and into trouble.:)

• Like 2

I prefer the Dayton plate amplifiers because of the steeper crossover, if you are able to adjust slopes through the digital crossover and EQ the sub with the preamp you are using it would make little difference in my opinion.

The Dayton plate amplifiers are Bob Carver designs if it matters any to you.

20 minutes ago, jason str said:

I prefer the Dayton plate amplifiers because of the steeper crossover, if you are able to adjust slopes through the digital crossover you are using it would make little difference in my opinion.

Are you saying the electronic XO at the amp is defeated by the hard wired XO in the plate amp?  I am only vaguely aware of 12 db/octave slopes and 24 db/octave slopes for subs, but I'm not sure what all that does in real life.

I have a Yung SD500 w/boost in my sealed DA Reference 15.

20 minutes ago, jason str said:

The Dayton plate amplifiers are Bob Carver designs if it matters any to you.

Very cool, I did not know that.

I don't think I've ever seen a shootout between the Dayton, Yung and Bash plate amps.  It would take a special person to purchase and then test plate amps.  :wacko:

6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Are you saying the electronic XO at the amp is defeated by the hard wired XO in the plate amp?  I am only vaguely aware of 12 db/octave slopes and 24 db/octave slopes for subs, but I'm not sure what all that does in real life.

I have a Yung SD500 w/boost in my sealed DA Reference 15.

You would use one or the other.

Very cool, I did not know that.

I don't think I've ever seen a shootout between the Dayton, Yung and Bash plate amps.  It would take a special person to purchase and then test plate amps.  :wacko:

Any of them should be able to sustain continuous rated output, the difference is in build quality and options.

By the way that red is very hard to read.

6 minutes ago, jason str said:

By the way that red is very hard to read.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll try to find something better as a highlight color.  Suggestions are welcome.

+++

I like the WHITE forum theme more than the DARK one.  I use the White during the day, often changing to Dark at night because it is not as glaring. 

The Red stands out in the White, and I thought it would stand out in the Dark as well.  I tried using the BLUE font but found it unreadable in the Dark theme.

I'll stop using Red immediately and try to find something that works in both Themes.

As far as my technical understanding is, Carver invented the "Bash" amp with his MagneticField Amps.   Both are PWM power supplies that follow the input signal envelope followed by a traditional class AB linear amp.  The hard work is done very efficiently by the PWM supply and the linear amp only has to switch a small voltage difference. 

2 hours ago, Srinath said:

I'm not sure what the BASH's topography is, but iNukes are switching amps. I can hear it, I don't exactly like those, but in a sub you probably couldn't hear it. However, for a sub, you are better off with a class D power house.

Cool.

Srinath.

The INuke is class D according to Behringer. Are there fundamentally differing designs?

From the Behringer website:

"Ultimate reliability through revolutionary cool-running High-Density Class-D technology with "near-zero" thermal buildup"

1 hour ago, tromprof said:

The INuke is class D according to Behringer. Are there fundamentally differing designs?

From the Behringer website:

"Ultimate reliability through revolutionary cool-running High-Density Class-D technology with "near-zero" thermal buildup"

Oh, well, that's how much I know electronics. LOL, But a TAS5630 based amp would be good, and powered with regular transformer, not switching PS.

Cool.

Srinath.

I get it, rather I'll explain it better ... or something.

Switching power supply of the iNuke I wouldn't say is best for the sub, but it may be fine - never tried it. But I nuke is class D. Awesome IMHO, not just for a sub, for nearly any speaker, very balanced and very much the best of old and new.

The better option IMHO is a TAS5630 (which is class D) based amplifier, fed by a traditional transformer with enough Voltamps to keep the amp and the speakers happy.

I've run the TAS5630 on a tiny PS and come away impressed.

Cool.

Srinath.

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

WOW, those look great.  I didn't realize Speakerpower made plate amps.  Built in adjustable delay and low frequency boost.

Danley uses those amps in the  powered version of speakers I have 2 passive and 2 powered DBH218 subs the amps are solid performers