Chorus II, Mcintosh 2105! Finally! Do i need a pre-amp?

lb19984

Hi guys! after many years I've finally got myself a serious setup!

I have a pair of Chorus II with new Titanium Tweeters and upgraded Capacitors from Crites, Macintosh 2105 Amp. (sending it to get serviced) 

I don't listen to records or CDS ( yet) so I will predominantly be listening to streaming music. I currently run things off the Sonos platform.  

1. So for best sound, quality I assume i need a DAC? If so any recommendations? $400-$500 ish? used is fine. 

2.  I have a Macintosh C26 amp.  Will using this make things sound any better? or it just enables me to switch multiple inputs and have the ability to control bass, highs etc.  I ask because i need to spend $300-$400 to get it serviced if i want to use it. If i don't need it I can sell it and use the money to get a DAC.

Currently using the DAC that comes in the Sonos Conect. 

Thank you! 

945F77C1-79DF-4559-B665-132C60F8CA82.JPG.jpeg

1579F331-B17F-49E4-B1AC-90488D030167.JPG.jpeg

IMG_0579.JPG.jpeg

The C26 is a preamplifier, the 2015 is an outboard amp not an integrated amp.  The two together should sound great.

You could not use the C26 and get a DAC that is a preamp also.  For the cool factor, I would use both McIntosh pieces.

Bill

You got the makings of a kick a## system there. You may want to try a turntable if you have never had one. I'm not sure about the quality of sound you get from the sonos platform I'm more old school. I'm sure someone will give me lashing over that but is Sonos better than other platforms????

But yes you do need both for that system to work .

By the way awesome speakers there.

You actually don't "need" the C26 at this time since the Sonos Connect has volume, bass and treble controls, but the C26 does give you flexibility for differing sources down the line, and of course does look great as well....Any external DAC would be last on your upgrade path IMO, so I would get both Mcintosh pieces sent out for service.  Don't know what your room is like, but you might want to think about speaker placement and room acoustic treatments, which can make a big difference.  You have the makings of a very nice system, have fun!

Klipsch Chorus II > McIntosh MC2105 > C26 > Sonos Connect. You are already there with a classic music system. If you plan to stream compressed music only at this time this is all you need. The only upgrade would be a higher quality DAC which would make Lossless and compressed sound better. But you would still use the Sonos for wi-fi. You can either get a DAC only or a pre/DAC like the McIntosh  D100/150 which would replace the C26. However, If you think you will add a turntable later then you will want to keep the C26 and just get a DAC, the D100/150 has no analog inputs, other products might.

Based on budget, presently I would recommend spending money on reconditioning MC2105 and C26 and adding quality cabling through-out. I suggest you start a new Thread requesting DAC recommendations to focus attention just on that purchase, there are many options.   

• Like 1