How's the weather, TX, CA Jan2017

wvu80

It looks like the west is getting pounded with some bad weather, lots of rain, ice storms etc.  Houston was underwater.  I think Texas got rocked last year with rain a couple of times.

I know nobody wants the extreme weather, but are the years-long droughts finally being broken?

Certainly no drought in Texarkana.  Spent the weekend at my Cossatot property and everything was pretty well soaked and the fog remained all day.  But the temps are pleasant.  Past 24 hours has been pretty steady rain, but no deluge.  We really don't need any, but those who've lived in Texas learn to NEVER curse the rain because too much is far better than too little.

Dave

Last week the L.A. Times ran a series of California maps showing statewide drought patterns at around 2-week intervals over the past few years. (http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-g-california-drought-map-htmlstory.html). Although much of the state is still in moderate to exceptional drought conditions, all the rain we've received just in the past 3 weeks or so has markedly improved the situation. Even though I dislike dealing with the rain (part of why I live in So. Cal. in the first place), I'm looking forward to the next few days' storms finally putting an official end to the drought for a while. I'd like to be able to flush my toilet again without that small pang of guilt I've had for the past few years.

• Like 1

Texas has some crazy weather swings.  The weekend before last I was hunting near Fredericksburg with my son.  We were tent camping and the temperature dropped below 16F both nights. The highs were in the 20s.  Two days later we were hunting about 50 miles from there and the afternoon temperature reached 86F.  I came back with a bad case of bronchitis (and 5 deer).

• Like 2