If RF7 is 100%, what is RF82II / RP280F?

jdmccall

I own a pair of 280's and I'm very pleased. Of course, I've never heard the other two. For the money I have to say the the 280's are great! With my AVR they sounded a little bright but I'm powering them with an older adcom power amp and they sound warmer and better. I'd like to upgrade to the Rf7ii someday or maybe the RF7iii coming out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had the 280f's hooked up a couple days now to a Marantz SR7010 in the living room. Running a straight 2.0 system. Listened to some music, TV and movies. All I can say is wow! Beyond impressed. Never knew what I was missing. I've heard my buddys RF7'iis in his basement and it had the same wow factor. I paid $850 shipped for my 280's and they sound as if they are worth more. R7-ii's are $3200 MSRP and $1800 now discounted. The 7's do not sound 4 times better in price than the 280's or even 2 times better.

Im not paying and extra 1k + for real wood and 2 extra inches of woofer surface. The cherry wood veneer cabinet on the 280's are very high quality, elegant and furniture grade enough to add elegance to any living space. The clean, tight deep bass on these speakers have made me decide that i DO NOT need a subwoofer , even for movies. The force these things produce are just that good and low. Detail in music is phenomenal.

So no, 7's aren't necessary, maybe for only bragging rights perhaps. Both speakers provide a similar smile on the face.

• Like 3

There are additional impressions/comparisons in this thread.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/161126-just-got-rp-280f-curious-about-rf-7-ii/&page=4

I personally feel that the RF-7 II are a significant upgrade vs. the RP-280F.  I can't quantify an upgrade "percentage", but certainly feel that the RF-7 II are worth the price I paid, around $1,800/pair.

2 hours ago, Grizzog said:

The 7s are worth 2x the 280s. Not 4x. Besides bass, there are levels more detail. The price difference is for made in USA, real wood veneer, and a true compression driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murca, hell yeah.

• 11 months later...
On 1/28/2017 at 9:44 PM, miliellie111 said:

I've had the 280f's hooked up a couple days now to a Marantz SR7010 in the living room. Running a straight 2.0 system. Listened to some music, TV and movies. All I can say is wow! Beyond impressed. Never knew what I was missing. I've heard my buddys RF7'iis in his basement and it had the same wow factor. I paid $850 shipped for my 280's and they sound as if they are worth more. R7-ii's are $3200 MSRP and $1800 now discounted. The 7's do not sound 4 times better in price than the 280's or even 2 times better.

Im not paying and extra 1k + for real wood and 2 extra inches of woofer surface. The cherry wood veneer cabinet on the 280's are very high quality, elegant and furniture grade enough to add elegance to any living space. The clean, tight deep bass on these speakers have made me decide that i DO NOT need a subwoofer , even for movies. The force these things produce are just that good and low. Detail in music is phenomenal.

So no, 7's aren't necessary, maybe for only bragging rights perhaps. Both speakers provide a similar smile on the face.

This was a year ago I wrote this. I must now update the post above as I have acquired the RF7-II’s in cherry in my basement powered by a Marantz SR-7010 and MM-7055. The 280’s are upstairs in my living my room.

I will happily say that I was wrong in my above post. The 7’s are worth the money over the 280’s just sitting them side by side without even turning them on. There literally is no comparison in person betweeen vinyl wrapped made in China MDF and real cherry wood veneer hand built in Hope Arkansas.

As to the sound, the 280’s are still impressive and hold their own. However the 7’s are in a whole different league of detail, dynamics, soundstage, and impact. I paid $850 for a pair of 280’s and a little less than $1800 for a pair of brand new 7ii’s. I definitely feel it was worth it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had both the R28f's and the RF82ii's at the same time.

I preferred the sound of the R28f's, the 82's were too bright for me.

I returned the 82's and now have RF7ii's to go with my R28f's.

The RF7ii's are definitely an improvement over the R28f's, but not huge by a factor of 2 or 4. Maybe by 1.5

I am using the RF7's for 2-channel music and the R28f's for HT in a 5.2 system.

The RF7s are special imo because they combine the ability to reproduce complicated detailed music beautifully and at the same time can play HT at any level without any issues.  The high end with the large tweeter driver is unreal...it sparkles with music and will blow your ears off in HT.   Audiophile music abilities with pro level HT capabilites.  Magnificent.  

The 82imo shows it has a smaller tweeter driver.  It sounds good...not nearly as good at high levels as the rf7.  It is terrific with theater but is not as detailed with music.  Solid.

The rp280 is like the 82 but has a better higher end detail, i think, because of the redesigned horn with dampening.  Capable like the 83, better high end sparkle than the 82...but not capable of the rf7s level.  Solid and refined.

If the rf7i s 100

Then the 82ii is 80

And the rp280 is 85