Khorn finish.

kuisis

I have a 54 Khorn that has a finish listed as raw.  I've had two finish, not Finnish, carpenters look at.  They said it looks like mahogany.  The only raw info that I have found lists fir for some reason.  Did they label some unfinished mahogany raw?

Thanks

3 hours ago, kuisis said:

I have a 54 Khorn that has a finish listed as raw.  I've had two finish, not Finnish, carpenters look at.  They said it looks like mahogany.  The only raw info that I have found lists fir for some reason.  Did they label some unfinished mahogany raw?

Thanks

MR on the label would stand for Mahogany raw.

M2 and M7 on the label stands for light and dark finish

3 hours ago, dtel's wife said:

It could be mahogany, as it was used in the 50s to produce raw finish cabinets. 

Most mahogany cabinets were sold as "finished". 

i had a set of 72 cornwalls from the factory with MR on the label for Mahogany Raw

how did you come up with this statement, most were sold as finished ?

this set looks like the label says MR but once you oil them they turn a beautiful dark walnut color

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1960-Klipsch-Cornwall-Single-Mahogany-Speaker-All-Original-/232211166788?hash=item3610dd3644:g:q3YAAOSwImRYTQwA

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Budman said:

i had a set of 72 cornwalls from the factory with MR on the label for Mahogany Raw

how did you come up with this statement, most were sold as finished ?

this set looks like the label says MR but once you oil them they turn a beautiful dark walnut color

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1960-Klipsch-Cornwall-Single-Mahogany-Speaker-All-Original-/232211166788?hash=item3610dd3644:g:q3YAAOSwImRYTQwA

I was having lunch with Jim Hunter as showed him a he original poster's question. He (Jim Hunter) provided the answer. 

It is VERY likely that that raw K-horn MAY have had Luan panels that were raw, instead of the marine-grade fir.  Luan was also incorrectly labeled as "Philippine mahogany", but is not a part of the true mahogany family of trees.  It was VERY inexpensive in the 1950's through the mid-to-late 1960's, with a cost comparable to, and often less than, marine-grade fir plywood.  It was one of the favorite of inexpensive plywoods for inexpensive cabinet construction, since it could easily finish out to look like a true mahogany. Luan was much softer wood than true mahogany, and the entire wood make-up of Luan plywood was Luan...ALL the plys!  It was also less abusive to cutting tools than the harder true mahogany was, comparable to the abuse of cutting tools when using fir plywood.  It eventually began to fall out of favor by the end of the 1960's as prices began to skyrocket for Luan, with the reason being that it was less commonly available due to EXTREME over cutting of it in the Philippines.  As the supply dwindled, the price rose until it was just too expensive to use anymore. Most woodworkers did not really like it simply because the fine sawdust from Luan would plug up the sinuses and burn the eyes (especially so due to the entire sheet being made of the stuff!)...and the amount of formaldehyde in the wood, and the urea-formaldehyde glues between the plys, would add to both of those problems.  It was also very much used on inexpensive hollow-core doors from the mid-1950's until the late 1960s.  I have worked with it in my (MUCH!) younger days and hated it for the same reasons as stated above.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Luan, @HDBRbuilder you never cease to amaze me.

In California in the 60s and 70s redwood was the same price, or close, as pine. So everone built their decks, swing sets, dog houses, FENCES, out of redwood heartwood.  Those days are long gone.

Figured it must have been some type of wood that that was close to price as birch, but never heard of Luan before.

• Moderators

@dtel's wife They are getting ready to lynch you over in that Pilgrimage thread if you don't get a list, you better hide here for awhile. 

Even @Chief bonehead was clammering for a list, that guy never never needs a list.  Maybe he is trying to figure out if there will be enough folks who will be interested is seeing how he tests headphones in the chamber?