This Guy Is Nuts

Rivernuggets

Around 2002 I had to have Sony's latest new format in small camcorders, the DCR-IP5, Micro-mv. It's a neat little camera, but the editing and connectivity wasn't friendly at the time. It connected to your computer via a firewire IEE1394, which only expensive computer had. I still have it, I can connect it to the tv via RCA cables. The tapes were the size of a matchbook. Digital came out soon after.

On 1/21/2017 at 3:19 AM, moray james said:

in case you did not know it the audio quality of a stereo VCR is light years better than a cassette deck even the very best of them. Maybe he is waiting for a comeback.

I had a friend who used a Sony VHS deck for recording live events (albeit in stereo only). Freq. response was incredible. The deck he used allowed recording with no video input whatsoever. He used a couple of PZMs and preamps he had made.

Bruce

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rivernuggets said:

I still have a Sony Digital 8mm video camera purchased around 2002.  Never fully understood how it's digital because the storage medium is a tape.

Here they are:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Camcorder-Cassettes-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0000632H2

As I have pointed out before, the Dire Straits album, Brothers in Arms, was recorded on  a reel to reel digital recorder (Sony 48 track DASH recorder, IIRC. Might have been a 24 track) . Just ones and zeros on the tape. The friend who used the vhs recorder told me the audio was done as an FM signal.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:36 PM, Rivernuggets said:

I still have a Sony Digital 8mm video camera purchased around 2002.  Never fully understood how it's digital because the storage medium is a tape.

Here they are:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Camcorder-Cassettes-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0000632H2

Any way to hook that up to a PC to burn discs?  I have a dozen or so 8mm's of my kids growing up and no way to watch them.

5 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Any way to hook that up to a PC to burn discs?  I have a dozen or so 8mm's of my kids growing up and no way to watch them.

A firewire and software  device to import and convert the 8 mm to AVI then software to edit then software to burn to disc. Not a problem technically but it is financially. My system uses the Sony 8mm/High8mm/Digital 8mm tape deck ($530.00) , firewire card (cheap) Magix/Cineform import/conversion software, Sony/Magix Vegas Pro 14 ($599.00) and Magix/Sony DVD-A disc writing software. Somebody might have new gadget out that's cheaper.

JJK

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

50 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

Not a problem technically but it is financially.

It would be a time consuming process, for me anyway.  I'd have to get a Firewire card for our PC and fumble my way through the process.  Carl, it would be cheaper to purchase an 8mm camcorder off Epay.  Most all of the units have RCA outs.  Lazy way out but you'd quickly be able to check out what you have.

I have Digital 8mm footage from 15 years ago, and more regular 8mm tapes from the late '80s.  They're still sitting there waiting to be transferred.  The '80s stuff is my brothers and I.  We pooled together our paper route money and purchased a bulky 8mm camcorder.  We were overflowing with crazy story ideas.

It can get confusing because Hi8 is analog and Digital 8 is, of course, digital.  For the analog you have to have the equipment to capture analog and convert to digital to save on the computer and edit and/or convert to whatever video format you like.  My digital8 went straight via firewire from the camera to the firewire card I purchased using WinDV but Windows 10 recognizes the camera natively I think.  At least I don't remember having to load a driver but if I did it must have been pretty easy.  

I'd say it's easier to convert now than later because your equipment might start to fail or manufactures will stop making things compatible with the older technologies.  

38 minutes ago, muel said:

I'd say it's easier to convert now than later because your equipment might start to fail or manufactures will stop making things compatible with the older technologies.  

That's the problem, my camcorder went south years ago.