Polk RTA-15TL

tom b. 57

14 minutes ago, Deang said:

Shouldn't this be posted on the Polk forum, seriously. 

I am a Klipsch fan and forum member that is interested in opinions of this speaker by other Klipsch fans and forum members who may have experience with this speaker because I value the input of the people on this sight.

If I have insulted or injured your sensibilities by posting this here I do apologize, but yours is only one opinion and I appreciate your comment for what it is worth.

Tom

• Like 1

Tom, I wasn't offended at all - just didn't understand why you didn't take this to the Polk Forum. They know their speakers as well as we know ours - and we certainly don't know their products as well as they do. Great group of folks over there. 

• Like 2

Dean, I apologize for assuming you were bothered by this post.

I have posted on the Polk forum.

I am just more of a Klipsch fan and thought if any members here had some input I would probably find it a bit more helpful since we all enjoy Klipsch on a pretty regular basis.

I guess in my mind we here have similar tastes when it comes to speakers.

I'm not sure I want to spend $100.00 on a couple of tweeters just to find out I don't like the speakers as a whole.

• Like 1

I would have thought $100 to repair those speakers would be well worth the effort tom b. If by some chance you don't like them I'm sure someone would happily take them off your hands.....along with a tidy profit. I believe the 15TL was at or near the top of the heap at the time.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2017 at 6:36 PM, tom b. 57 said:

Anybody ever own a pair?

Just got a pair in good physical condition with one blown tweeter for free and am wondering if they are worth the cost of replacing the tweeter.

Looks like the tweeter will cost roughly $50.00+shipping.

What do you think?

Tom

Ever get those fixed? How does the speakers sound?

• Like 1

I have a pair of RTA-12C's and they are a great speaker.  The SDA series will not work with floating ground amplifier's due to the interconnect cable between the speakers.  The SDA SRS models are supposed to be the bees knees if they are the ones that I am thinking about with like 8 midbass drivers coupled to a 15" passive with a huge crossover network.

• Like 1

I owned a pair of the SDA SRS 2's  that I had updated the 4 tweeters to the RD0-198 (or 194) and also 8 new mid/woofers.  I only had new mid woofers because mine had the original MW6509 model in them and Polk Service wanted to evaluate them for a couple of months  and compare them to the replacement models.  After a couple months went by, I received two my woofers back in one box and, in a second box, they had sent me 8 of the brand new drivers all impedance matched for my "troubles".  Those speakers sounded great and they moved with me from TX back to AR and were in the living room running off of a Carver TFM-55 or a Carver M-1.0t (both rebuilt).  I still sometimes regret selling those but the CF-3's went into rotation and the Polk's didn't go back in.  I just didn't have the space in that last house to keep extra  things.  So, a guy from Michigan drove down to where we met in midsouth Missouri in a really small car and we somehow shoe horned them in.  Man, they rocked and sounded great.

I'd also take a pair of 15TL's if they came along.  Replacement parts are readily available for most older Polk SDA, Monitor, and RTA series speakers direct from Polk.

• Like 1

Rxonmymind, I did get those up and running and they sounded great.

I played with them for a couple of weeks and then decided to sell them.

I had to make a decision on what speakers to keep due to space constraints, so the Cornwalls and Magnepans won out.

If you get them for the right price, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Tom

• Like 1

On 1/22/2017 at 5:33 PM, Deang said:

Tom, I wasn't offended at all - just didn't understand why you didn't take this to the Polk Forum. They know their speakers as well as we know ours - and we certainly don't know their products as well as they do. Great group of folks over there. 

NO--A tight knit group of Rude A- Holes.