Khorn Restoration

bcarey13

1 hour ago, Schu said:

what is the history on those HF lenses?

I had asked Bob Crites and I think he said that he hadn't done any testing on the K5J's...Someone contacted me who seemed very knowledgeable and said that PWK was making these by hand back in the day and they were a pain to mold and make.  I was told that the frequency starts to drop off at around 4500khz so I adjusted the crossover I was buying.  I liked the looks of them so for the time being they are staying.  I am however always looking into other possibilities like the ones Greg makes at Volti.   They are pretty big and take up a lot of real estate in the top hat section.  I think the only place you can fit the tweeter is on that vertical wood brace.

I'd love to know more about the history of them if anyone knows

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Keep up the great work. More pictures :)

Will do...I had some bubbling in spots of the veneer that just wouldn't stay down.  I had to slit the veneer with a razor blade at the bubble and feed some glue in there with a butter knife....Seems to be holding now.

Here is one pic with one of the small sections dyed black.....I'm sure a lot of you are like why in hell is this guy putting a nice mahogany veneer on there and then staining it black.

Short answer is,  I really like Black Speakers

IMG_5852 copy.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Schu said:

I gotta tell you... with those vintage horns, that is going to look fantastic. I dont think I would change those if I were you... But I'm not.  :)

I'll tell you, I really love the looks of the wide K5J's....that was my major appeal when I first saw them.  I'm sure I will be running them for quite a while.

I have a third solo decorator Khorn in the garage that needs a couple of parts.  Not sure what to do with it?  Mono setup? Sell it?  Build the top hat section and turn it into another "B" Style.  I would love to restore it but I honestly think it would never get used.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2017 at 6:38 PM, bcarey13 said:

I have a third solo decorator Khorn in the garage that needs a couple of parts.  Not sure what to do with it?  Mono setup? Sell it?  Build the top hat section and turn it into another "B" Style.  I would love to restore it but I honestly think it would never get used.

If you sell it, I might suggest not modding it or even adding the parts it needs.  A knowledgeable Buyer will want the single to match his L/R and will likely start swapping components and drivers anyway.

On 1/27/2017 at 3:52 PM, bcarey13 said:

I'm sure a lot of you are like why in hell is this guy putting a nice mahogany veneer on there and then staining it black.

Short answer is,  I really like Black Speakers

IMG_5852 copy.jpg

say it ain't so       Mahogany      painted black    NOoooooooooooooo

Just did my first veneer job.  Used Titebond II with an iron.  Worked better than I thought without any bubbling or anything.  Still have to put a couple of more coats of Danish oil and do some additional clean up of a couple of edges, but quite happy the Titebond II heated worked so well.

20170216_065948.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pzannucci said:

Just did my first veneer job.  Used Titebond II with an iron.  Worked better than I thought without any bubbling or anything.  Still have to put a couple of more coats of Danish oil and do some additional clean up of a couple of edges, but quite happy the Titebond II heated worked so well.

Agree, they look great!

I would like to try my hand  in veneering as my next step in DIY'ing.  I have a sub and a couple of large speakers still in raw MDF I would like to veneer but I am intimidated because it looks like it would be difficult, I have a general lack of skills in such things and I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks guys and Pzannucci, your speakers look great.

Let me ask you a question as I am also using the titebond II method with an iron and have had a few challenges.

Did you use paperbacked veneer?

Did you glue both the substrate and veneer?

Did you rough up the speaker surface first and if so, what grit sanding?

Did you you wait till the glue was completely dried first?tacky? other?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, bcarey13 said:

Thanks guys and Pzannucci, your speakers look great.

Let me ask you a question as I am also using the titebond II method with an iron and have had a few challenges.

Did you use paperbacked veneer?

Did you glue both the substrate and veneer?

Did you rough up the speaker surface first and if so, what grit sanding?

Did you you wait till the glue was completely dried first?tacky? other?

Thanks

I had used paper backed veneer.

Glued both the veneer and the substrate using a foam roller -http://www.homedepot.com/p/6-in-High-Density-Foam-Mini-Roller-Cover-5-Pack-HD-MR-200-5-6/202097453.

I had sanded the speaker with a 100 or so grit sandpaper.

I found it easiest to wait til the glue was very slightly tacky to dry (tacky seemed to hold the veneer in place to be ironed)

Ironed immediately after the drying.

Bought this cheap iron https://www.walmart.com/ip/RV-Iron-with-Cord-Wrap/50753351

Set the iron to as hot as it would get, and used a paper bag between the veneer and the iron.  Would go over areas, about 18" at a time, a couple of times while getting the veneer pretty hot.

Worked very well (at least holding after a couple of weeks).  No issues with the Danish oil on it either.

^^^^^

Ok, sounds good.  I did that on my second speaker and it turned out fine but it was interesting that I spoke to the president at Oakwood veneer when ordering a few weeks ago and he told me to just glue the cabinet and NOT to glue the veneer.  I had a lot of problems, bubbling etc that I had to fix after.  On the second one I went against the advice and glued both the substrate and the veneer and it was so much easier.  No bubbling to speak of.

Slight seam on edges, maybe because of the paper backed or two layers of glue but considering I used maple, it is next to impossible to get an invisible seam (for a novice anyway).

I went with coating both because I heard all about bubbling and I figured, when it is down.  I want it to stay down :)

Time will tell.