Khorn Restoration

bcarey13

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Agree, they look great!

I would like to try my hand  in veneering as my next step in DIY'ing.  I have a sub and a couple of large speakers still in raw MDF I would like to veneer but I am intimidated because it looks like it would be difficult, I have a general lack of skills in such things and I don't want to screw it up.

Iron method is pretty easy.  Edges are the pain but if you use one of the band-it trimmers with a good clean file and sandpaper, they aren't too bad.

On 1/24/2017 at 0:05 PM, bcarey13 said:

...Someone contacted me who seemed very knowledgeable and said that PWK was making these by hand back in the day and they were a pain to mold and make....  I liked the looks of them so for the time being they are staying.  

I'd love to know more about the history of them if anyone knows

I dropped by the Klipsch factory one Sunday back in the 1950's, and Paul Klipsch himself drove out to show me around.  He showed me his then-newest way to make those mid horns -- he had a mold, and a vacuum pump to draw the resin or whatever it was into the mold to form and shape the horn.  He said it had greatly speeded up the process.  I suppose he did half a horn at a time, the way metal K-400's looked like they were made later on.

• 8 months later...
On 1/24/2017 at 12:26 AM, bcarey13 said:

Well, I ran them for a while in my music room.... with the Stephens 103 LX2 woofers, University SAHF mids and EV t35 tweeters, and the original Klipsch 500/5000 Crossovers. Even with one suspect and crackly tweeter and some tired crossovers they sounded great.  Of course everything in the khorn back in the 50's was all 16ohm. 

I realize this thread is several months old but wanted to note something.   The Stephens 103LX2 woofer is in fact rated at 4 ohms.  (The standard Stephens 103LX is a 16 ohm woofer)     Apologies if this was noted earlier in the thread and I didn't notice.

EDIT:   Attached an image.  Note the 4 ohm impedance stamped on lower left, and model number 103LX-2 stamped on lower right.    Picture was lifted from the internet.  However both my Klipschorns (a 1954 and a 1956 ) have the   103LX2 woofers and each measures a DCR of around 3.2---3.7 ohms IIRC.   I also have a loose 103LX2 and it is also stamped 4 ohms and measures in a similar manner. 

103lx2.PNG

Edited by Rick Fedorchak
more information
  • Like 1