Belle Klipsch Qs

lilwing

I was happy to acquire a pair of Belle Klipsch. 

I thought they had been modified in finish (painted satin black) also the crossovers are Bob C's type AB-2. rewired with some 10ga speaker wire.

I wasn't happy with the bass response, but convinced I can correct it if possible.

While I can see the K77 and K55v / K-500 components,  I wasn't sure which woofer so I popped the bottom panel on one to see the K33e. (cool looks like an eminence)

What I didn't expect to see was the inner chamber was covered with foil backed "dynamat" product stapled on all inner surfaces, but not the top. 

Is that something done in Hope? Or perhaps a previous owner trying somehow to improve the sound. 

BTW the only stamps on the tailboards of the lower on one cabinet is "J".  That speaker's top has a "P" stamped on all four inside panels.

The other lower cab has only a prominent "W1" but no other numbers visible on anything but one of the top's cleat. (a B2 stamp)

Is it possible this pair is a "second" quality issue that was painted because of flaws that didn't pass someone's inspection?

Kind of alot going on here so I'm very appreciative of any attention.

Inside showing dynamat

Pics coming. Photobucket is flaking out on me.

I use tube amplification. 

The audition was with a my ST70. tried and true. 

Now that I have them home I'll try another amp. 

The mids were fine. The Bass response was weak.

My main concern is with the dynamat "sound deadening" material.

Anyone ever heard of this? 

It's not in my khorns or cornwalls or shorthorns.

I did put a bunch of it in my '67 ford pickup and a couple turntables.

Well I just connected to a Fisher reciever and they do sound better. Bass still a bit thin unless using loudness countour.

This isn't really an appropriate topic for this forum. Apologies.
I'll keep working.

Would just like to know if PWK heritage horns ever used any sound dampening mat or fiber or any such stuffin

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v7K_9InmApX0z3NAL5Pqo6aC5c_f2G1ldg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bYEDlpyRx13K3JWVnChaQ0X9yRAVoAE8xw/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CNKzAGzY2XNO4NeUPayzr47aRFpbgh0smg/view?usp=sharing

No dynamat was placed in the housing at the factory someone added it at some point.  Get a blow dryer and heat it and remove it the best you can.  That said do not expect thunderous bass out of the Belle what is there is tight and accurate but drops very quickly at 50Hz.

What capacitors were used in the AB-2 you have if it has Sonicaps it may be shrill sounding as compared to the original PIO's.

check the screws while in the woofer chamber to make sure they are tight.  When I picked up a used pair, found that the frame on one of the woofers wasn't even flush with the baffle.  The chambers to me looked like they had never been cracked open.

Only reason I checked as one had terrible bass response....and that was the culprit.

Keep in mind that the Dynamat is altering the internal cabinet volume that I am reasonably certain was precisely calculated by PWK when he designed it.  Changing the internal cabinet volume even slightly will affect the woofers acoustic performance.  If it was not applied perfectly edge to edge and perfectly flattened it could also impact the velocity that the air exits the internal chamber.  Both of these are not good things and make more of a difference than one might think.

On 1/23/2017 at 6:59 PM, lilwing said:

Inside showing dynamat

Pics coming. Photobucket is flaking out on me.

I use tube amplification. 

The audition was with a my ST70. tried and true. 

Now that I have them home I'll try another amp. 

The mids were fine. The Bass response was weak.

My main concern is with the dynamat "sound deadening" material.

Anyone ever heard of this? 

It's not in my khorns or cornwalls or shorthorns.

I did put a bunch of it in my '67 ford pickup and a couple turntables.

Try Flicker and download in the 500 range.

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 7:46 PM, jason str said:

Ever wonder why Klipsch did not take advantage of all 8 mounting holes on the driver ?

Four were sufficient...especially since the mounting was done by machine screws into t-nuts.  Besides, if you had 8 t-nuts instead of just the four, then you would have one helluva time getting that farthest one (the one on the far side of the woofer, which you can't even see, much less tighten easily!)tightened down.  Remember...the longer it takes in man-hours to put stuff together and/or install stuff...the more expensive it is to make them!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Four were sufficient...especially since the mounting was done by machine screws into t-nuts.  Besides, if you had 8 t-nuts instead of just the four, then you would have one helluva time getting that farthest one (the one on the far side of the woofer, which you can't even see, much less tighten easily!)tightened down.  Remember...the longer it takes in man-hours to put stuff together and/or install stuff...the more expensive it is to make them!

Ever run into any denied warranty claims through the manufacturer using this method ?