Pioneer SC-LX901 + RP-280F for Bi-Amp

Maher

Bi-Amp (Pioneer SC-LX901 + RP-280F) ?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Shell I do Bi-Amp with (Pioneer SC-LX901 + RP-280F) ?

I have Pioneer SC-LX901 and Klipsch RP-280F speakers; both of them are Bi-Amp capable. since my current configuration is (5.1) setup. so I can Use Height 1 speakers' output for high frequency connected to HF in RP-280F and Front Speakers output will be connected to MF in RP-280F (Bi-Amp).

shell this configuration gives me any benefits in term of sound quality ?

shell I do Bi-Amp (single AV Receiver 2 amplified channels) or not ?

We know the speakers have dual terminals, but are they for bi-AMP or bi-WIRE?

Does your AVR have a specific provision for doing bi-AMP?  My Onkyo 717 does.  To bi-amp I have to go into the Menu and electronically change the setting on the AVR.

I would not advise simply hooking up extra outputs to the dual terminals on the speakers unless it is expressly made for that.

+++

I have experimented with bi-amp in the past and could hear very little if any difference when doing an A/B comparison.  I have not tried bi-wiring.

FYI even though I can do bi-amping through the amp, I don't use that feature.

• Like 1

Pioneer SC-LX901 also has Bi-Amp feature. and yes we have to configure it electronically through AV receiver 

check out following link below for specs

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-LX901#AudioFeatures

check out following link for the Manual

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home/SC-LX901_BAS_EnFr.pdf

I was looking at the links Maher. I can't find a hint of what WVU was talking about.  In the Onkyo, the XO can be adjusted to the Hi vs LF driver.  The  Pioneers don't have anything like that.  The speaker can be bi-wired or bi-amp(passive).  To bi-wire, leave the jumpers on the speaker.  You can run a set of wire from the HF and LF or two wires from either the HF or LF driver.  The key is the jumper stays on.  To bi-wire, remove the jumper and connect HF driver to extra amp on AVR.

9 hours ago, Maher said:

derrickdj1; Checkout following link for advance manual of pioneer SC-LX901 to find steps of configuration for Bi-Amp

Under Configuration -> Bi-Amp

http://jp.pioneer-audiovisual.com/manual/sclx901/adv/en/004.html

and check the attachment as well for Bi-Amp wiring

SC-LX901_Bi-Amp.pdf

I read that yesterday.  I am wondering if MCACC Pro will set the HF XO, that seems possible seeing how there are specific connections for the HF driver.  I know the Onkyo allow you to select a HF driver XO.  I just called  the other Pioneer the other day with a couple of question.  Is the Atmos type update included with your avr.  On the SC 99, the non-Atmos movies will play in neural X.  The neural X is object based.  Nothing wrong with DTS but, making thing object based is a nice feature.

Are you going Atmos at some point?  That avr can hold 11 speakers which should make for a sweet Atmos setup.

I called Pioneer and you need to remove the jumper for bi-amping.  So, MCACC has to set a HF XO or you would fry the driver(HF).  That is a cool feature.  The same instructions are in the SC 99.  This is very close to true biamping without the passive XO since MCACC will adjust FR, amp gain and timing issues between the drivers.  MCACC is a very nice calibration program!!!  I guess that's where a lot of the cost is involved in these avr's.

Since an outboard amp is used in that configuration for the SC 99 and most like for the SC LX 901, they should actually use less of the amps power.  A small, lower wattage amp could be used for the HF driver.

• Like 1

i'm not bi-amping i'm just using the sunfire to power the k-horns to by pass the elite amp

i guess i;m going to hook up the speakers to the Pioneer without the sunfire amp

this same thing happened to me years ago when i was using  my sunfire pre-amp. i had to manually turn up the volume to set the level of the speakers

i guess i'm gonna have to setup the mic and run pro

4 hours ago, Budman said:

i'm not bi-amping i'm just using the sunfire to power the k-horns to by pass the elite amp

i guess i;m going to hook up the speakers to the Pioneer without the sunfire amp

this same thing happened to me years ago when i was using  my sunfire pre-amp. i had to manually turn up the volume to set the level of the speakers

i guess i'm gonna have to setup the mic and run pro

I have the speakers powered by the Acurus amp and use the preouts on the avr.  Then the Pioneer is running the show.  MCACC should calibrate everything.  If you are not use to EQ, it may take a day or two to get use to it.  I've tried the direct compared to just stereo and I just use stereo with the EQ.  Direct does not sound better to me.

6 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

Bi-amping from an avr provides nothing extra and can sometimes have negative effects. You see the more channels you use in your receiver the less power they become each time. So using them just to use them can cause clipping from now under powering. 

Just gonna quote this for good advice.

They're towers, it's an AVR.  Save your wire.

• Like 1