Jubilee, Klipschorn, LaScala horn loaded bass bins.

jason str

8 hours ago, jason str said:

You don't get what i was saying, its the midbass details that i was referring to.

Maybe the next generation will not have just folds but rounded bends to improve on these details.

Why would "rounded bends" improve "midbass details"?

3 hours ago, jwc said:

Why would "rounded bends" improve "midbass details"?

Information i picked up studying folded horn construction, have not experimented personally.

Rounded corners eliminate (or greatly reduce) high end rolloff (above 500 Hz or so)

5 hours ago, jwc said:

I was not including the MWM's in my conclusions....

Yes, I've heard a K402 on top of MWM crossed over at 400Hz compared to Jubilee bass bin with K402 crossed over at 400Hz in the same room with the same electronics.

I can easily say, I preferred the MWM setup. 

Thanks

I appreciate you sharing your impressions , I don't know if I'll ever get to hear a set of Jubilee's so having input from an experienced and valued forum member helps me figure out which direction I want to go. :D

Jason you are very close to me, you should swing by for a listen some time. I'm about 5 mins from Seth's house

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jwc said:
7 hours ago, jason str said:

Rounded corners eliminate (or greatly reduce) high end rolloff (above 500 Hz or so

I've never heard of this.  Where is this info?

I don't know anything about folded horns, but I do know a little about folded tubas.  What do you think a tuba would sound like with squared off tubing?  Or a trumpet?

Surely that must be a good analogy.

• Like 1

I have always thought the PWK folded horn bass bins were the whole ball of wax for me.  That's why I own Klipsch.

I run horn subs with my MWMs.  I would with any of the other bass horns too.  I think they can all benefit from a properly integrated sub if you REALLY want to listen to music like it sounds live.

I wish Klipsch would make a "practical" horn sub in a cube footprint or something comparable,  That giant horn casket that Roy build needs a fork lift and bomb shelter to contain it.  I could never consider that thing.  But he could make a smaller one. :)

55 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

tuba would sound like with squared off tubing

I'm all ears.  When I first was scratching up horns, I thought through this....the natural tendency was for me to make a gradual,curved, constant expansion.  Previous horn designs and lit didn't state to do this.  I followed Edgars' advice instead.

I'm gonna let somebody else prove this point or argue to death.  However, I will poke you with a starter......Does the Tuba have any 90 degree or greater turns and what is the frequency range of the tuba? (I know i could look this up......lazy).

32 minutes ago, jwc said:

Does the Tuba have any 90 degree or greater turns and what is the frequency range of the tuba? (I know i could look this up......lazy).

Yes...

Tuba_25J_Conn_BBb.jpg

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuba#Types_and_construction

21 hours ago, jason str said:

You don't get what i was saying, its the midbass details that i was referring to.

Maybe the next generation will not have just folds but rounded bends to improve on these details.

So u call that 90?

41 minutes ago, jwc said:

I'm all ears.  When I first was scratching up horns, I thought through this....the natural tendency was for me to make a gradual,curved, constant expansion.  Previous horn designs and lit didn't state to do this.  I followed Edgars' advice instead.

I'm gonna let somebody else prove this point or argue to death.  However, I will poke you with a starter......Does the Tuba have any 90 degree or greater turns and what is the frequency range of the tuba? (I know i could look this up......lazy).

All good questions jwc, but I am not qualified to argue physics or even audio theory.

Tubas have several bends at more than 90 degrees.

Tuba.jpg

I was trying to point out that speakers reproduce music, but how is the music made?  If a tuba sounds great with smooth bore tubing that is rounded, how can an instrument which has square corners accurately reproduce the sound?

My common sense tells me rolled, smooth corners are superior, because tuba with square corners would sound terrible.

1 minute ago, mark1101 said:

I'd like to hook my air compressor up to that just for kicks.

You may not be far off!

I've been told that all the highest skilled brass wind musicians in the world are still little more than glorified air pumps with egos.  B)

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

All good questions jwc, but I am not qualified to argue physics or even audio theory.

Tubas have several bends at more than 90 degrees.

Tuba.jpg

I was trying to point out that speakers reproduce music, but how is the music made?  If a tuba sounds great with smooth bore tubing that is rounded, how can an instrument which has square corners accurately reproduce the sound?

My common sense tells me rolled, smooth corners are superior, because tuba with square corners would sound terrible.

Sounds like some good questions to be presented at the Pilgrimage!

• Like 1