Klipsch KG2 (1985) looking for a new receiver.

Carver

I just signed up this morning... New to the Klipsch forums.    

I have used a Carver Receiver with my Klipsch KG2 speakers since 1985.  Beautiful sound all those years, vinyl, CD and other inputs.... but my Carver either needs repair or replacement at this stage in it's long life.  "A" speaker outputs dead, "B" outputs chancy.  Dirty pots and such. 

I recently purchased an Onkyo Network Stereo Receiver TX-8160, based on good reviews and it's many functions.   From day one, the sound with my Klipsch speakers was awful.  Thin, no bass, distant sounds, no depth, shrill highs and vocals fuzzy... as if familiar recordings were remixed badly.   Balance to right or left allowed bleed through, no loudness button or control, treble and bass controls only muddied the sound.  It was just too much for me and sent it back after 3 days...    

Will I just have to suck it up and move on from these speakers I have loved for years?  Are modern digital receivers not going to drive my old speakers properly?   There is a company in Washington state that will repair and update my Carver Receiver, which will cost more than the network receiver I recently purchased.  Any advice from this forum will be appreciated and I will check in on this thread in the coming days.     Thanks everyone!  

Welcome to the forum.  I just got 2 of my Carver pieces back from refurbishing.  Mine were bought new in the early 80's and the caps were shot.  It was time.  One of the bad caps even kept the amp from powering up.  There are certainly new products that will drive your speakers properly but if you like the Carver sound, you might think about having it gone through.

Carver,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry you are not hearing what you are used to with your Carver/Klipsch combo with your Onkyo/Klipsch combo.  I have the previous generation Integra version(DTM-40.4) of the 8160 and I could not be more pleased with the way it drives my Heresy II's.  Layered imaging/soundstage, great punch, sweet mids, and very detailed(not shrill) highs.  Virtually the opposite of what you are experiencing.  This Integra replaced a legendary Luxman R-117 that powered my Heresys and Heresy II's better than any other piece I have owned.  The Integra sounds pretty darn close but without the "unlimited" dynamic headroom. 

I am not trying to convince you that the 8160 is a drop in replacement for your beloved Carver but I am very surprised at your negative experience with the Onkyo.  I know Carver is on the warm side of neutral while the Onkyo is as pretty close to dead in the middle between warm and bright.  Maybe some of what you are hearing is a sound that you may not be used to.  Or maybe something is wrong with the Onkyo.  Or, the Onkyo is just not your cup of tea.

7 hours ago, Carver said:

Will I just have to suck it up and move on from these speakers I have loved for years?  Are modern digital receivers not going to drive my old speakers properly?   

IMO, the KG2 is a fine speaker that punches much harder than it's weight class.  They are keepers.  

Where are you located?

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone who read and/or replied to my post.   Just to let this forum know... I've decided to have my Carver Receiver repaired by Carver Service/Hi-Tech Audio at a higher cost than a new receiver.   It's just that I don't want to let go of that sound I've known for years.  If I want network capabilities, I can use a bluetooth adapter for a line input or there is always the cable/appleTV that I can input as well.  I'll live without a remote control.   My Klipsch KG2 speakers are staying put and I look forward a new Audio Technica  LP3BK turntable I've ordered.  I'm not a serious high-dollar audio guy, but I appreciate clean warm sound from our LP collection, CDs and other inputs.  Thanks again to everyone... I plan to visit this forum frequently.