Jubilee's vs K-horns

AaronB123

On 1/25/2017 at 10:37 AM, AaronB123 said:

Alright now after seeing the for sale post of the jubilee's and doing more research I am wondering if perhaps I made the wrong choice. I hadn't realized until speaking with Cory that you can buy Jubilee's I thought that was just something people built custom. I'm gonna give the breakdown of what I am looking for here and everyone tell me what you think. 

Don't get me wrong  I do love the K-horns but in all honesty they don't have as big of a soundstage as I thought they would, in fact my 88 La Scala's seem to have a bigger more in your face soundstage and that's what I am looking for above all. The K-horns do however have incredible detail, more than the La Scala's and of course much better bass. I guess I am looking for a mixture of both but with that huge soundstage. From what I hear if that's what your looking for you should go with the Jubilee's. 

Another thing I like more about the Jubilee's is they don't require corner placement. Many people I talk to say the Jubilee is on a complete new level even from the K-horn. 

All input is greatly appreciated. 

McM's are the Chit, couple pair and you rule the hood.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, juniper said:

AaronB123 Congrats on the Jubs, they are great speakers! Where did you read they need 800 watts on the bass bins? Just curious, thanks!

I was going to ask the same thing.  

You can run that bass bin with a 5 watt amp, like a 300B.

I think the 800 watts is peak power.

Go with what you have, check it out, and than play around.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, juniper said:

AaronB123 Congrats on the Jubs, they are great speakers! Where did you read they need 800 watts on the bass bins? Just curious, thanks!

The specification sheet that AaronB123 is looking at is for a behind the screen cinema system in an auditorium with a size that is approximately 5,000 ft2 or 465 m2 that will seat up to 350 people.

• Like 1

Here i sit, all by myself ........ waiting for ARRON to kick it to the next level, and that is the place he has been looking for all his life.

Many questions he has, however the fact remains, he is still running "BookShelf" .

And YES im aware you are indeed a K owner,,,,, give them to your better half, come back here and let's get down to your calling.

1 hour ago, thebes said:

So when did a Khorn become a lesser sounding speaker?:D

I've heard both and both need work to sound right but pretty much everyone whose gone from a Khorn to a Jub likes the difference, after the requisite dumping of dollars.

Sounds like you are already making the jump to a Jub so good luck, it's an awesome speaker, but I'm not so sure you ever gave the Khorn the chance it needed  Please remember, while enclosing the backs of Khorns seems to be common now, PWK never once sold a Khorn with an enclosed back while he was alive.  To me that says something right there.

Since you Jub guys are here I'm going a bit off topic with something I noticed about the Jub.  Those side support, the little shelvy things, seem pretty thin and seem to vibrate a lot while the music is playing.  Does this vibration affect the bass at all?

"The little shelvy things seem pretty thin and seem to vibrate". You don't think the cabinet research/design didn't take this into account? I can't imagine that PWK's final and Roy's crowning achievement as successor to the KHorn would have overlooked anything like this into the design. 

I know a "PRO" guy when i come across them.

Nothing is "GOOD ENOUGH" Arron, i feel for ya, been there, done that.

Some of us are just cut out for outright down dirty kickazz system(s), hey it happens, it's far better to know this now, saving you thousands.

1 hour ago, thebes said:

So when did a Khorn become a lesser sounding speaker?:D

I've heard both and both need work to sound right but pretty much everyone whose gone from a Khorn to a Jub likes the difference, after the requisite dumping of dollars.

Sounds like you are already making the jump to a Jub so good luck, it's an awesome speaker, but I'm not so sure you ever gave the Khorn the chance it needed  Please remember, while enclosing the backs of Khorns seems to be common now, PWK never once sold a Khorn with an enclosed back while he was alive.  To me that says something right there.

Since you Jub guys are here I'm going a bit off topic with something I noticed about the Jub.  Those side support, the little shelvy things, seem pretty thin and seem to vibrate a lot while the music is playing.  Does this vibration affect the bass at all?

I believe on the old deleted forum page information the shelvey things proper name was tchotchke shelves.

• Like 1

Aaron....I think you should just try running them with the Emotiva.  I'm sure that will be more than enough power.  If you want to try another amp that seems to work well with Klipsch.  I have a Crown D-75a that I just picked up for future bi-amping of my khorns.  That'll be a while off though.  Won't be till I get an active crossover

• Like 1

From what I saw Jason, the tchotchke's wouldn't survive a serious session do to vibrating off the shelf onto the floor.

"do to vibrating off the shelf onto the floor"

I'm pretty sure that's the technical description as described in the sales literature.

3 hours ago, thebes said:

Yes, it affects the bass (on some of the speakers) a great deal!

Here's how...

Roy once had a couple complaints that the Jubilee bass bins were buzzing and resonating.  Turns out it was the rear panel.  Making a longer story even shorter, it turned out that the vendor of the plywood was supplying some of the plywood at the minimum spec...  it was "within" spec so he had to keep it but, for those boxes that were cut from the slightly thinner stock, the back panel vibrated.

Roy came up with the little supports to support the panel.  He later redesigned the whole speaker to use the "shelf" as a support.  Side benefit of the 'shelf' is (from what I understand) it made the building of the box faster, easier and stronger and eliminated the buzzing!

So yes, it affected the bass!

:)

21 hours ago, AaronB123 said:

My K-horns do have the closed backs already because they are the 70th anniversar edition. It's not at all that they sound bad and I tried bringing them close it made them sound MUCH worse. As I said I'm pretty sure the reason I'm not getting the big soundstage I am looking for is because the room is too small for them and I am sitting too close. I've come to this conclusion because when I did try to bring them closer to me the soundstage just got smaller and smaller. 

I am also going active crossover with the jubilees. I already actually ordered the crossover I'll be using. 

The closed backs aren't the same thing as false corners. The flare needs to extend beyond the front of the speaker. Not just that rear corner.

2 hours ago, juniper said:

I got the louder version...

:o

That said, trust me....you won't need 800 watts.

Copy of tag.jpg

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, bcarey13 said:

Aaron....I think you should just try running them with the Emotiva.  I'm sure that will be more than enough power.  If you want to try another amp that seems to work well with Klipsch.  I have a Crown D-75a that I just picked up for future bi-amping of my khorns.  That'll be a while off though.  Won't be till I get an active crossover

Wow, that's really nice I appreciate that. I will just stick with the Emotiva though I actually just noticed the bass bins are rated at 4 ohms and my amp says at 4 ohms it pushes 550wpc so that should actually give me more power than I thought. 

6 hours ago, AaronB123 said:

Ya, the Jubilee's, like the heritage speakers  are built to order so I've been told that the wait time right now is around 2 weeks but that doesn't include transit time. I'm guessing I'll hopefully have them by the latest a month from now. Lol I just hope the shipping company is better than the last one that lost my K-horn. 

I have to say I don't know if I have the heart to sell the K-horns lol not to mention the little issue I ran into with the non sequential serial numbers. I can tell you right now if I did sell them I would not be low balled by anyone saying oh they aren't matching serial numbers I would only sell them for not one penny less than what I purchased them for because the serial number's may be mismatched but it's only by one number and that doesn't in any way affect the sound or the fact that they are brand new K-horns. 

I don't think I will sell them though, who know's perhaps someday I will have the opportunity to have another dedicated 2 channel music room and have them in there. 

Use the Khorns as rear channels, and the Jubs as fronts in a HT set up.  They used Khorns as rears in a room at Klipsch ... I'll try to find a picture.

• Like 1