Jubilee's vs K-horns

AaronB123

1 hour ago, DrWho said:

You can always add "false walls" to the khorn....or basically build a room corner for them to sit in so that the flare of the bass bin is finished without using your room's corners. And then you can place them anywhere in the room.

If you're going to pull the khorn out without the false corner thing, then you should just get the lascala since it sounds better in that configuration. Just make sure you get a potent subwoofer to make up for that bottom 1.5 octaves you're missing.

Or just get the Jubilee - getting a passive xover made for you is easy if you don't wanna deal with the active route.

My K-horns do have the closed backs already because they are the 70th anniversar edition. It's not at all that they sound bad and I tried bringing them close it made them sound MUCH worse. As I said I'm pretty sure the reason I'm not getting the big soundstage I am looking for is because the room is too small for them and I am sitting too close. I've come to this conclusion because when I did try to bring them closer to me the soundstage just got smaller and smaller. 

I am also going active crossover with the jubilees. I already actually ordered the crossover I'll be using. 

10 hours ago, thebes said:

They look like a bargain until you go to buy the recommended active xover which is well over $1 k, then, of course, you must simply have the TAD drivers, which are what $2k?

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Where can  I find the TAD drivers I keep hearing about? 

48 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

Where can  I find the TAD drivers I keep hearing about? 

You search every day and pray. Or open the wallet for 4003"s. You need to find them with the beryllium diaphragms intact. Ones in mint condition I have found can bring in $1500-$2000 each. Cheaper if you are lucky. I've been looking into them from before my first post just out of curiosity. 

If if I were you I'd just rock the K691s like me for awhile since they come with them anyways. If you dislike them then try TADs. There are a lot of alternativives as well BMS, B&C 750 Radian. Though that's another rabbit hole.

Did you order the Jubes as well? 

I doubt that anyone who hears the speaker 'stock' is going to say "Harry.....that sucks!"

As with most things, ignorance can be bliss...  If you've never heard these and you are coming from a lesser sounding speaker to the stock Jubilee it's going to be a huge jump in quality of sound.  If you then swap to the TAD, the sound will increase however, the jump won't be as significant as the jump from the lesser sounding speaker to the Jubilee. 

(all in my opinion of course)

• Like 2

On 1/25/2017 at 3:10 PM, AaronB123 said:

The room is 21x19 and the K-horns are in the corners on the long wall so they are about 21 ft apart. 

Your room is not the problem. That is a very good room to work with. It just needs optimizing. Jubilees sound better than Khorns. I prefer the 3 way because the 1133 can cross lower into the 402. But the 2-way can be made to work. I have TADs and looking to go 2 way with alternate bass bins. 

Khorns and all configurations of the Jubilees are better than 99.99 percent of the speakers on the market, even other Klipsch models with non-horn bass. Some can make that compromise, others won't. I'm in the latter camp.

BTW, you need 4 ft . of wall on both sides. Enclosed back on Khorns don't mean a whole lot. if you want to change angles, you still need false corners like PWK had at his house (saw/heard those myself) as he showed us in the Dope From Hope publication way back.

47 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

"May have?":D

I placed the order yesterday with @MetropolisLakeOutfitters as I'm sure everyone here know's it was a great experience. He pretty much spent the whole day texting me and answering all my questions and making sure I chose the right one as well as made sure I had the proper gear to run them. Highly recommended to anyone looking to buy Klipsch gear! 

26 minutes ago, Lost240 said:

Are you still getting the Orbital Shifters?

Yes I am they are currently in production. 

I just wanna also say that a lot of you probably think I am absolutely crazy with all the speakers I have purchased lately and the way I made it sound like I am not happy with the K-horns. I have been listening to them all day pretty much today and I am in no way unhappy with them they do sound amazing and have absolutely incredible detail. Things that I missed even in the La Scala's I can hear with these. They have their stengths over the La Scala's and weaknesses. I did a lot of research before buying the K-horns and read a lot of K-horn vs La Scala threads and basically what people say is true. The K-horn does have a much more overall balanced sound and a lot more detail especially at higher volumes and clearly better bass but the La Scala's seem to have a stronger midrange and in my experience a bigger soundstage. 

As I said before I am 99% sure the only reason I am not getting that monster soundstage out of the K-horns is because I am too close. Everywhere I read everyone says you should have them at least 30ft apart and be a lot farther from them than I am. Also they say you shouldn't have anything within 4 ft of the bass horns which I cannot accomplish in my room. I think overall the Jubilee will be a much better match for my room. Especially considering the orbital shifters coming in they would have made it even more crowded around the bass horn of the K-horn. 

Then lastly as I said earlier, I didn't realize you could purchase Jubilee's from the Klipsch website I always thought you basically had to buy the parts used and build them yourself. 

I remember when I first joined this forum everyone told me this stuff was addictive and boy were you guys right! In my whole life I have never found something that propelled me and pulled me in like this! I do still love the K-horns though and would highly recommend them but when I saw that for sale thread with the Jubilee and then saw that you can actually buy a pair new for a lot less than I thought, I was pretty much sold, lol at that point I couldn't even stop myself. I actually told myself I would sleep on it for a night and didn't get one minute of sleep that night just knowing that this was something I had to do! 

Then the way pretty much everyone in that thread was saying the jubilee's are one another level even to the K-horn well I guess you could say curiosity has killed the cat so to speak.. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Coytee said:

the jump won't be as significant as the jump from the lesser sounding speaker to the Jubilee. 

(all in my opinion of course)

So when did a Khorn become a lesser sounding speaker?:D

I've heard both and both need work to sound right but pretty much everyone whose gone from a Khorn to a Jub likes the difference, after the requisite dumping of dollars.

Sounds like you are already making the jump to a Jub so good luck, it's an awesome speaker, but I'm not so sure you ever gave the Khorn the chance it needed  Please remember, while enclosing the backs of Khorns seems to be common now, PWK never once sold a Khorn with an enclosed back while he was alive.  To me that says something right there.

Since you Jub guys are here I'm going a bit off topic with something I noticed about the Jub.  Those side support, the little shelvy things, seem pretty thin and seem to vibrate a lot while the music is playing.  Does this vibration affect the bass at all?

43 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Good for you Aaron for chasing the sound you want. Not many people could do that. The Jubilees take a while for delivery I believe, at least you have the Khorns in the mean time. Will you keep them also? 

Ya, the Jubilee's, like the heritage speakers  are built to order so I've been told that the wait time right now is around 2 weeks but that doesn't include transit time. I'm guessing I'll hopefully have them by the latest a month from now. Lol I just hope the shipping company is better than the last one that lost my K-horn. 

I have to say I don't know if I have the heart to sell the K-horns lol not to mention the little issue I ran into with the non sequential serial numbers. I can tell you right now if I did sell them I would not be low balled by anyone saying oh they aren't matching serial numbers I would only sell them for not one penny less than what I purchased them for because the serial number's may be mismatched but it's only by one number and that doesn't in any way affect the sound or the fact that they are brand new K-horns. 

I don't think I will sell them though, who know's perhaps someday I will have the opportunity to have another dedicated 2 channel music room and have them in there. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ceptorman said:

I think you're dealing with a better dealer now. A month isn't too long.

Oh ya definitely a better dealer! Does anyone here know the exact height of the Jubilee's? On the Klipsch pro store they only have the dimensions for the 3 way. I am getting the 2 way. 

Alright so here's a question. Right now the plan was to bi amp the Jubilee's obviously that's why I bought the Xilica now as it stands I was going to run everything through my Emotiva XPA Gen 3 but I am reading the recommended amp settings and it says for the bass bins they recommend at least 800 watts so my question is do you guys think I should just run the mid horn off the Emotiva (which puts out about 250 watts per channel) and is also running the rest of my 5 speakers (center and rears) and get 2 mono amps for the bass bins? 

As of right now I am planning on sending the emotiva back to have the extra 2 channels added (as of right now I only have 5) but it's modular and you can upgrade. Should I cancel that and look into bigger amps for the bass bins?