Blu Ray player as main CD Player?

jfjacques

On 1/26/2017 at 4:55 AM, willland said:

Oppo BDP-95, 105, or even a BDP-83SE.

Had an Oppo BDP-83 SE (special Edition). It had a separate Stereo Channel with the OUTSTANDING ESS Sabre/32 bit DAC chipset for audio. My new Pre Pro had Sabre DAC's so I didn't need it anymore. Sold it to a good friend who only does 2 channel stereo listening and he's in HEAVEN.

You can still get them used on Ebay or New Old Stock if you are lucky.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I find that Blueray players track better than CD players! I have gone thru 3 CD players at the $500 to $600 range in price that would not play a number of my CDs without skipping or locking up.  One was a highly respected transport. When placed in my cheap Sony Blueray player  and in my entry level 4k Sony player every single CD that skipped or locked up on the CD played perfectly with no mistracking! Wow! When I used my external DAC via COAX the quality of the  sound was virtually identical. No so great with internal DACs.  This was a shocking result for me!  I listened on 3 different sets of speakers (B&W 703s,  Monitor Audio Silver 10s, Magnapan LRSs) and found the sound via external DAC on the video players to be the equal of the 3 CD players.  This ws not at all what I was expecting.  Very disappointed with the CD PLAYERS. 

35 minutes ago, MELTONE said:

This ws not at all what I was expecting.  Very disappointed with the CD PLAYERS. 

My experience is that I've never had an issue with 20.00 PC CD players. I rarely play a CD, preferring to rip them files I can store on my server. I find most of the best ADACs in motherboards these days equal to other DACs at any price. Loading a spread sheet from a high dollar CD reader doesn't make it more accurate. It's all ones and zeros and they are either decoded correctly or not at all. Just my humble opinion. Your mileage and pocketbook may vary. If you believe throwing more money at something will ensure better sound, spend all you want. 

Dave

1 hour ago, MELTONE said:

I find that Blueray players track better than CD players! I have gone thru 3 CD players at the $500 to $600 range in price that would not play a number of my CDs without skipping or locking up.  One was a highly respected transport. When placed in my cheap Sony Blueray player  and in my entry level 4k Sony player every single CD that skipped or locked up on the CD played perfectly with no mistracking! Wow! When I used my external DAC via COAX the quality of the  sound was virtually identical. No so great with internal DACs.  This was a shocking result for me!  I listened on 3 different sets of speakers (B&W 703s,  Monitor Audio Silver 10s, Magnapan LRSs) and found the sound via external DAC on the video players to be the equal of the 3 CD players.  This ws not at all what I was expecting.  Very disappointed with the CD PLAYERS. 

maybe in 2017 it might have been an issue... these days, there are probably very little differences in the actual reader itself unless you are speaking mainly of build quality. Post reader is something else altogether.

• 1 month later...

I have an Oppo 103 and it works like  gem in my monster 7.1 system. I will upgrade to an Oppo 205 but seriously? I may regret the money I spend? 

My Oppo plays my cd's, SACD's, DVD- audio's, blue ray, DTS 5.1 surround and the DVD pic is awesome. You can buy my player for a lousy $200 - $300 right now on ebay

You can't go wrong. Want better? Buy an Oppo 105D. Get the Darbee - it has a better pic. They are running around $1,200 but they were $700 more retail from Oppo to get the Darbee

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2017 at 7:47 AM, Schu said:

Modern bluray players are MORE THAN capable... so the answer is yes.

They play multiple formats, process multiple formats and even play movies.

Its slightly funny that there is still a question in this day and age.

What about if your blu ray player has a USB port like my LG? IMHO LG products are Chinese made assembly line junk.....but the thing I like about the blu ray DVD players is 1...yes I can play CDs & DVDs and 2)..... 95% of my current music listening experience is done via thumb/USB drive with WMA, mp3, & wav files.....I would do flac files but that format eats up your memory rather quickly.... Unless im using a32 or 64gb stick....which I mainly reserve for movies.....can anyone tell me if my LG BD ( I forget the exact model) blue ray player is any good? It does have a LAN port....but I don't utilize it....is this player good enough for my entry level audiophile dip ( into the shallow area) or should I upgrade to something that gives me more bang for my (limited) buck.....

Edited by Jimmyjam

On 12/22/2020 at 6:28 PM, Jimmyjam said:

What about if your blu ray player has a USB port like my LG? IMHO LG products are Chinese made assembly line junk.....but the thing I like about the blu ray DVD players is 1...yes I can play CDs & DVDs and 2).

USB is a robust data com protocol with crc-arq

The DAC, frequently integrated into the Surround receiver, stand alone or part  of a newer stereo receiver or integrated amp

Is the Critical Component

You can use any player with  USB it won't effect sound quality.

Toslink over glass is probably OK but no CRC ARQ so errors can get by. It does offer optical isolation so no ground loop hum.

YES, use your old Bluray or DVD player with USB, toslink as a second option.

If the Bluray player is connected to the TV via HDMI, then you have to connect the player to the DAC via Toslink, if you are also connecting the TV to the DAC that too has to be via Toslink.

YMMV