Klipsch's speakers

Charles M

What HZ   Level  should I have my speakers on?

I also have a set of Heresy 1 , I had them on 

80hz THX  , would that hurt them ? I move it to 90hz and the  Onkyo TX-NR747 goes to 200hz I believe?

• Moderators

It will not hurt them, whatever the level you set them at, below that point is what is not going to the speaker, but to the sub. I would set them a little above where the speakers would drop off anyway. 

Others will help more i think. 

• Like 1

If you're talking about your RF-7 II's I'd run them full range, they're rated down to 30hz. If you plan on really cranking them up and utilizing the Palladium sub then I'd inch it up a little, maybe 40-50hz? I know some people like to crossover all of their speakers at 80hz but I like the full sound of big speakers personally. I'd play around with it and see what sounds good to you.

30hz I not sure if my receiver goes that low ?

RF-7 ll I will try and set it there . What would you have the Heresys at ? They are used for the 

backs not sound around backs . 

8 minutes ago, charles m said:

What is Audyssey ?

The same as AccuEQ.  My Onk 717 is the older version of what you have, but it had a commercial version of room correction.  Onk didn't want to pay royalties for the brand name so they developed their own flavor. 

Plugging in that mic that came with your AVR will automatically start the set up.

It will measure all of your speakers and set the crossover points.  http://accueq.onkyousa.com/

2015-AccuEQ-calibration.png

2015 AccuEQ

AccuEQ conducts two measurements- one to set the level, distance and crossover for ALL speakers, including the subwoofer, and a second measurement to eliminate standing waves. Choose to include or bypass EQ measurement for front left and right speakers, and choose to automatically or manually set the EQ. Further, you can save your own manual EQ settings into three available presets.

Yes I have and I believe I will be using it again but I will be sell this one soon because I want to go to a 9.1 and this onen only goes to 7.1 .

I want to go the the SC-LX701 pioneer elite

just need to sell this one first to get a down

payment ! Lol 

I'm a firm believer in running speakers full range unless you plan on really playing your system so loud that they could distort or cause damage. If you plan on listening that loud then set the crossovers just above their rated output as a starting point and go from there.

Heresy FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 50Hz-17kHz(+-)5dB  

RF 7 II FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 30Hz-24KHz ± 3dB                                                       

48 minutes ago, charles m said:

Thanks , I don't intend to play them that loud for my ears would pop ! Thanks for your input ,also what you set the sounds around ones at and center? 

That Pio SC-LX701 looks pretty sweet.  It's only a slight increase in power over the Onk and effectively none after you factor in the two additional speakers you want to run.  The 5.1 setup listed in your profile driven by that Onk ought to sound spectacular.  I'm not sure where the Heresy's fit in which would get you to 7.1.

May I ask why you want to run a full 7.1 and then the additional Front Heights?

+++

Back to your question:  I'm not sure why you are asking about crossover points for the surrounds.  What does AccuEQ set them at?

Here is what your profile lists: 

• TWO RF7 II
  • RC 64 II CENTER
  • TWO RP250S REARS
  • KLIPSCH P-312 SUB

In addition in your first post you said you have a pair of Heresy.  Where do they fit into the setup?  Are you currently running at 5.1 or 7.1?  And again, what are you trying to get to with 9.1, the Front Heights?

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I'm a firm believer in running speakers full range unless you plan on really playing your system so loud that they could distort or cause damage. If you plan on listening that loud then set the crossovers just above their rated output as a starting point and go from there.

Heresy FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 50Hz-17kHz(+-)5dB  

RF 7 II FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 30Hz-24KHz ± 3dB                                                       

At a minimum, set the speakers 15 Hz higher than the 50 Hz for the Heresy and no lest than 45 Hz for the RF 7 II's when using a subwoofer.  Playing then Full range set to large will use more power from avr, increase distortion and can cause phase issues between the Mains and subwoofer/s.  If you have a good sub, there is no reason to believe that the speaker can extend as low and with more authority than the sub/s.   I use 80 Hz to crossover the RF 7 II's and other speakers.

5 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

At a minimum, set the speakers 15 Hz higher than the 50 Hz for the Heresy and no lest than 45 Hz for the RF 7 II's when using a subwoofer.  Playing then Full range set to large will use more power from avr, increase distortion and can cause phase issues between the Mains and subwoofer/s.  If you have a good sub, there is no reason to believe that the speaker can extend as low and with more authority than the sub/s.   I use 80 Hz to crossover the RF 7 II's and other speakers.

I would think that your situation is kind of unique in that you have 8 massive subwoofers. Try listening to just the RF-7's by themselves in 2 channel, first at full range and then crossed over at 80hz, there is a huge difference is sound.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jjptkd said:

I would think that your situation is kind of unique in that you have 8 massive subwoofers. Try listening to just the RF-7's by themselves in 2 channel, first at full range and then crossed over at 80hz, there is a huge difference is sound.

I actually use them full range in 2 ch music listening with the tube amp.  The amp does not have a sub input.  I listen to music around 65-85 db which is not very loud.  When I use the 7 II's and the SC 99 for music, only two subs are used.  I like both ways equally.  I'm not saying the RF 7,  II's are not very capable speakers.  If I could use a sub with the tube amp, the speakers would be set to small in BDP.

The main point if using a sub is that it will play cleaner down low, it has it on power supply that is most of the time a higher wattage, such as, 500 w., and decrease cone movement of all speakers leads to decrease modulation distortion.

13 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Playing them Full range set to large will use more power from avr, increase distortion and can cause phase issues between the Mains and subwoofer/s.

I have an Onk and it uses a different naming set than other manufacturers, specifically they don't use the terms Large/Small.

If you only have a L/R Onk sets them to Full Range by default.  If you add a sub the menu choices change.  The L/R and all the surrounds require a specific XO point, like 40-50-60-70-80-100-120.

If you run the AccuEQ program it will measure and then set the speakers not just according to their specs, but according to how they measure in the room in which they are placed.  If a speaker digs down to 60 that is where it is set.  In real life I have found Audyssey to be very accurate in its measuring.

Yes I am now running 7.1 and the Heresy's where put into the mix as backs also I just pick up a pair of IC-650-t celling speakers so I can used them for ATMOS that is why I now need a 

9.1 .

12 minutes ago, charles m said:

Yes I am now running 7.1 and the Heresy's where put into the mix as backs also I just pick up a pair of IC-650-t celling speakers so I can used them for ATMOS that is why I now need a 9.1 .

Thanks Charles, that really clears up a lot.  Your idea of what 9.1 is probably not what you think it is.

If I understand correctly, you want to run Atmos, which is a different animal than 9.1.  Do you want to run Atmos, and if so, do you know in what configuration, such as 5.1.2? 

https://www.aperionaudio.com/blog/how-to-set-up-your-home-theater-with-dolby-atmos-surround-sound

Your Onk 747 already supports Atmos 5.1.2.  You might want to consider trying that first to see how you like it.  If you pick up that Pio AVR you mentioned in Post 1 you would have to purchase two more ceiling/Atmos enabled speakers and then you would run 5.1.4.

Charles, I think it would help you if you educate yourself further.  Did you read the link I provided on Atmos?

I can help you if you want 5.1, 7.1, 9.1.  I can help you if you want an Atmos setup.  I can't help you if you don't know what you want, or what those setups entail.

+++

Given what you have posted and the speakers you have, this is what I think you are working towards.  You want a 5.1.2.  I say this because you bought two ceiling speakers specifically,which means Atmos.

L/R: RF-7

Center:  RC-64

Side Surrounds:  RP-250S

These ^^^ are your 5.x.x

Sub:  Klipsch P-312

This ^^^ is your x.1.x

Atmos:   IC-650-t ceiling speakers

This ^^^ is your x.x.2

Other:  Heresy I - Take them out of the mix, they do not have a role in a 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Other:  Upgrade to the Pio 9.1 AVR.  This move would add two additional ATMOS ceiling speakers for 5.1.4.  The Heresy speakers are still out of the mix.

• Like 1