Klipsch's speakers

Charles M

2 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

I actually use them full range in 2 ch music listening with the tube amp.  The amp does not have a sub input.  I listen to music around 65-85 db which is not very loud.  When I use the 7 II's and the SC 99 for music, only two subs are used.  I like both ways equally.  I'm not saying the RF 7,  II's are not very capable speakers.  If I could use a sub with the tube amp, the speakers would be set to small in BDP.

The main point if using a sub is that it will play cleaner down low, it has it on power supply that is most of the time a higher wattage, such as, 500 w., and decrease cone movement of all speakers leads to decrease modulation distortion.

So you're saying listening to levels upwards of 85db leads to amplifier strain and audible distortion? Even the most conservative sensitivity ratings for the RF-7's would put you under 1 watt of amplifier power at that listening level. I understand subs make things better when set up properly and an absolute must for movies but at such low listening levels I'm just not sure I could justify hacking the nuts off my mains, you might as well run monitors which would excel in that set up like my HIP's.

• Like 1

I need to used the Heresy's so they got to be in the mix , also I believe I will be going to 9.1 so to keep it simple Atmos would still be working on all the channels right . What I read from what you sent me is I should be looking for a 11.1 

Receiver  .... ok now the money went up more .

anyway I will read it over again when I have more time but I very much thank you for helping me .

32 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

So you're saying listening to levels upwards of 85db leads to amplifier strain and audible distortion? Even the most conservative sensitivity ratings for the RF-7's would put you under 1 watt of amplifier power at that listening level. I understand subs make things better when set up properly and an absolute must for movies but at such low listening levels I'm just not sure I could justify hacking the nuts off my mains, you might as well run monitors which would excel in that set up like my HIP's.

No, I am not saying those listening level produce enough distortion to be audibly different than running the speakers full range.  The more cone movement causes speaker cone breakup.  This is modulation distortion and is increase at higher volume.  When using a decent subwoofer most of the experts will tell you to set the speakers to small.  In movies the LFE channel can place a large demand on speakers set to Large.  A subwoofer driver in strong and has the ability to handle the low frequencies  much better that most full range main speakers.  Also, running the speaker set to small will add 5-6 db of headroom to the avr.  This extra headroom will increase your speakers dynamic range.  This is in addition to the possible phase issues caused by running the Mains as large.

This is a good read on the subject:http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95817

For kicks, I used for the past 7 years my 8 in. subwoofer from the HD 500 home theater with my family room system.

I understand the concept and have experimented around myself several times in several rooms with several different speakers and sub combinations. I personally like the sound from a full range tower with a sub only handling the parts below the capabilities of the main speakers, I just think it sounds better to me that way, at least for music anyway. Of course everybody's taste and personal situations are going to vary tremendously, that's why I encourage everyone to experiment around and see what works best for their own situation.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, charles m said:

I need to used the Heresy's so they got to be in the mix , also I believe I will be going to 9.1 so to keep it simple Atmos would still be working on all the channels right . What I read from what you sent me is I should be looking for a 11.1 

anyway I will read it over again when I have more time but I very much thank you for helping me .

An Atmos system consist of some over head speakers or Dolby enabled.  Which setup, depends on room size and seating arrangement.  I use a 9.2.2 in a large room of around 4300 cu. ft.  This is recommended for larger rooms.  The object of Atmos is not to only hear a few over head sounds but, to change the panning of all the speakers to an object based format compared to the legacy format that assigns certain speaker to play certain content.  So, in reality it is a total system change.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, charles m said:

If you "need" to use the Heresy's even after I clearly explained they don't fit into the mix then there's nothing more I can say.  It's like you have a set of four tires on your car that are 14" and you insist you "need" to add a single 15".   I'm not going to explain any further why that is not a viable idea.  It is up to you to explain why you do.

I think I have helped as much as I can within my limited knowledge.  Good luck.