CJ PV3 Preamp Diagnostic Question

thebes

Dusted off my old Conrad Johnson PV3 tubed preamp to sell to help pay for Craig's NBS I bought.  Hooked it up and I'm getting almost a metronome.  The  sound cuts in an out on a regular beat.  Swapped out all the tubes. Same same.  Happens on line and phono stages. 

Any guesses as to where I should start looking.  Gross physical examination shows nothing.  Just trying to figure out where to put the probes first.

Here's the schematic:

photo C_JOHNSON_PV-3_Preamp.jpg

I'm no expert, but I would start with the power supply to confirm all supply voltages are good. But it sounds like a leaky coupling capacitor in the output stage (charging & discharging).

I've owned a PV3 since the mid-80's.  It's a great little pre-amp.  I still use mine regularly.

Kerry

• Like 1

Cool.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to get at this tomorrow.  I recapped it a few years ago when I was just learning to solder so I might have fried a cap. 

Always love the breath of knowledge in this place.

2 minutes ago, thebes said:

Cool.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to get at this tomorrow.  I recapped it a few years ago when I was just learning to solder so I might have fried a cap. 

Always love the breath of knowledge in this place.

was you pv3 factory built or kit form ?

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:48 PM, thebes said:

Hooked it up and I'm getting almost a metronome.  The  sound cuts in an out on a regular beat.  Swapped out all the tubes. Same same.  Happens on line and phono stages. 

To clarify a little do you have any power supply hum or is the sound normal but varying in and out?

As others have mentioned if the problem is in both channels then troubleshoot the power supply.

Measure the B+1 voltage and note if it varies with the cycling of the sound. If so  D1,D2,D3,D4 should be checked to confirm one isn't open/leaky and of course capacitors C11, C12, C13, C15 should be checked as well as components in the regulator circuit (R20, R30, Q1, Q2, D15, D16 and D6-13 Zener Diodes).

Edit:  The Zener Diodes D6-13 look to be 1N5257 (8 of them in series) which if so they are a 33v zener so you should measure very close to that across any of the zeners individually and all together they will set a potential at the base of Q2 to ground of approximately 264 volts.

Good Luck and don't smoke anything buddy:D

miketn

On 1/26/2017 at 1:48 PM, thebes said:

Dusted off my old Conrad Johnson PV3 tubed preamp to sell to help pay for Craig's NBS I bought.  Hooked it up and I'm getting almost a metronome.  The  sound cuts in an out on a regular beat.  Swapped out all the tubes. Same same.  Happens on line and phono stages. 

Any guesses as to where I should start looking.  Gross physical examination shows nothing.  Just trying to figure out where to put the probes first.

Here's the schematic:

photo C_JOHNSON_PV-3_Preamp.jpg

how did you make out ?

My sad tale of my troubleshooting  requires more  thought than a Friday night post.  The short Friday night version is that some, only some, of the magic smoke escaped. More to follow but first a nod to Mike whose knowledge still leaves me in awe.

Hey Thebes does your unit's parts values match the schematic you posted..?

Here is another schematic that appears to be a version of the PV-3 also with some slight variation in component values and parts reference designator differences in case it matches closer to your unit version. It might also help you to visualize the circuit better even if it's not the exact version of the PV-3 you have.

conradjohnsonpv3.gif