K55V dual phase plug ?

ive been reading about the new a55g mid drivers & saw the comparison to the k55v dual phase drivers.  the dual phase have been called the best/better sounding version of the k55 models.  also looks like they were only available for a very short time (1982)  i happen to have a pair of 1982 k-horns & am pretty sure they have the soldered terminal dual phase k55v's.  can anyone tell me how to identify these drivers?  is there a part # that will confirm it or another way like i have to remove them to see the dual phase plug? 

im considering upgrading to the new a55g but would keep the k55v if they are the dual phase plug version.  or may replace some k55m's i have. 

On 1/26/2017 at 5:00 PM, Frzninvt said:

That said there is no direct replacement diaphram for the K-55M you have to modify one to work.

IOW, don't melt them. Like say, cranking the piss out of the volume knob looking for bass instead of using an EQ or a proper sub.

New gaskets from Bob; to seal the fronts. Double check the seal on the backs. The diaphragms will last practically forever. :emotion-21::emotion-21:

Lastly, the horn math says don't expect big miracles from changing just the drivers. That being said, A-55G is one helluva nice unit.

• Like 1

If anyone can blindly tell the difference between a 55V, 55V dual phase and 55M, please let me know. Graphs will show a difference, but I really don't believe the sound is distinguishable to the human ear. I know of 1 person who says they could hear a difference, I still find it hard to believe

Mark 

• Like 1

When I replaced the standard 55v's in my HIP's with the new A-55g's there was a clear difference between them. The old drivers sounded muffled in comparison but they did come out of a 30 year old pair of pro speakers so not certain they weren't over-driven or damaged along the way.