Chilly, so Chili!

Mallette

Been around 70 degree highs until today, and now it's turned chilly.  So, time for a pot of chili.  Dear old friend of mine from down on the coast bottles smoked chili petins he grows.  Well, actually the grow anywhere down there and are all over the place.  However, his smoke petins are incredible.  And they are the predominate smell emanating from this pot right now along with cumin, red chili and such.  Have the corn tortillas heating in the convection oven SLOWLY and will be digging in real soon.  Ya'll come on down...

Dave

20170126_175433.jpg

• Like 3

Actually intend to lean on him to let me introduce them to the Forum.  He's retired now and he might enjoy selling a few bottles.  I'll try to get you some if possible.  Any change you can make the 31 March-2 April Joplin Centennial event I'm working on?  The first one was an exercise.  This thing is D-Day.  Have a band from Italy, one from Holland, a Grammy nominated Jazz diva with the Texarkana Jazz Orchestra, a rockabilly group, and a MacArthur Genius Grant winning Ragtime pianist performing.  Gonna be a hot time in the old town...

Dave

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

They are slightly different.  Only slightly, you can't go wrong with either.

I don't play with different peppers that much, but I recognize their differences.

Jalapenos have an earthy taste and are hot this year (prior years were kind of lame). Serranos don't have as much taste and are hotter.  Black pepper is earthy.  Cayenne is hot with little to no flavor.

I like to cook with a mix to experience the fullness of the variety.

My Texas buddies cooked up a big pot of chilly with jalapenos and we would eat one spoon of chilly then one gulp of cold beer, one spoon of chilly, one gulp of cold beer, one spoon of chilly, one gulp of cold beer,  one spoon of chilly, one gulp of cold beer, one spoon of chilly, one gulp of cold beer until everything ran out. My gizzard was feeling really good.

JJK

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Serranos don't have as much taste and are hotter.

Disagree and much prefer serrano's to jalapeños for cooking.  I call them "bell peppers with attitude" due to their flavor...and heat.  Like jalopenos, they've been dumbed down in the past few years.  Getting bigger, less flavor and heat.

Jeff, petins will grow fine without any help in your yard.  Had one bush in Seabrook between my garage and fence probably 5 feet all and as big around.  No way I could use them all. 

Dave

2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I had never heard of petins, but I googled and cam across pequines.  I am sure these are the same thing.  Interesting.  I've seen these bushes before.  If I can't buy the peppers cheap at HEB, I might have to grow a bush.

Agreed. Google wasn't much help.

1 hour ago, Mallette said:

Disagree and much prefer serrano's to jalapeños for cooking.  I call them "bell peppers with attitude" due to their flavor...and heat.  Like jalopenos, they've been dumbed down in the past few years.  Getting bigger, less flavor and heat.

Jeff, petins will grow fine without any help in your yard.  Had one bush in Seabrook between my garage and fence probably 5 feet all and as big around.  No way I could use them all. 

Dave

Interesting.  Did you grow it from seed, a small plant, or what?

58 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Interesting.  Did you grow it from seed, a small plant, or what?

Shessh, I see them in bar ditches down that way.  They are volunteers.  Had several in my yard.  I suspect you can just take a few fresh berries and shove them in the ground.  They certainly seem to propagate readily on their own.

Dave

16 hours ago, mungkiman said:
19 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I had never heard of petins, but I googled and cam across pequines.  I am sure these are the same thing.  Interesting.  I've seen these bushes before.  If I can't buy the peppers cheap at HEB, I might have to grow a bush.

Agreed. Google wasn't much help

You just gotta know what you are looking for.  Tepins (chiltepins) are the little round ones and their close relatives are the oblongs (pequins).

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/restaurants/its-a-dry-heat-get-to-know-chiltepin-and-pequin-hot-peppers-6508245

They aren't the same, but similar enough.  I prefer the petins,  they just have a better flavor.  The heat is pretty much the same between the two.  There is not much I won't hesitate crushing a few petins into when I cook.

Looks good to me...though not a big fan of tomatoes in "Texas Red."  However, I stand on what TASTES good, not tradition...and that looks pretty tasty to me!  Lots of folks also object to beans.  Not me.  I don't leave'em out unless I have real New Mexico chilies and am going for a "purist" version.  I haven't seen a good rostrum of those in years, though.  May need to make a trip to NM sometime and bring back a load.  About twenty years ago I figured out how to boil them done and extract a marvelous paste from them with a high speed centrifugal extractor that really only needs a bit of onion, garlic, meat, and comino to make killer chili with an attitude.  Nothing else needed. 

But I put beans in most of my "make do" chili, as do many in Texas.  Others leave them out but put them on the side for those who want them. 

If it tastes good, it IS good!

Dave

Dave.  I like beans, and I like chili.  But I don't put chili in my beans nor beans in my chili.  If you compete at the Terlingua cook off, you would be ridden out on a rail for putting beans in it.  Now I get it that you grew up in Arkansas.  But don't push it, you were close enough to Texas to know better.