What to do

Jd1

Hello all, im new to the klipsch community. I currently have def tech speakers and have had them for a while. The klipsch line is very appealing to me. I was wondering if anyone can help. I want to get the RF 82 ii and the RC 62 ii or the 64 ii. Will these be a match or are they going to sound a little different together with the 64 ii or will it be ok? I was also thinking of a combo of one of those centers with the rb 81 ii. The system is primarily used right now for tv and movies. Some music, all types. I have a pioneer elite receiver for power right now. I am doing a 5.1 system for right now. Any help from would be appreciated. I heard the RC 62 and rb 62 and I really liked the way they make natural sound. Or should I be thinking about the premier line instead? I also wanted to add I already have an svs sb 16 ultra sub too. With all the speakers on sale right now, it's a great time to build a system!

Edited by Jd1
Just trying to add as much info I can to get some help.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums Jd1.

2 hours ago, Jd1 said:

I want to get the RF 82 ii and the RC 62 ii or the 64 ii. Will these be a match or are they going to sound a little different together with the 64 ii or will it be ok?

The RC-62ii was designed to go with the RF-82ii but there are others here that have successfully used the RC-64ii with the RF-82ii.

2 hours ago, Jd1 said:

I was also thinking of a combo of one of those centers with the rb 81 ii.

The RC-62ii would be plenty for the RB-81ii.

2 hours ago, Jd1 said:

Or should I be thinking about the premier line instead?

I have not heard any of the new RP Series so I will let others advise on that.

2 hours ago, Jd1 said:

I also wanted to add I already have an svs sb 16 ultra sub too.

Very nice sub.  It will go great with any of those setups.

Is the RB 81 ii that much better than the RB 61 ii? After reading the specs they are very very similar in performance. Other than a possible slight imaging issue can the 81 or 61 be layed on there sides? I think for me I'd like the 2 series but after reading the rp series 450c and the 160m they sound really great as well. Surrounds I'll just do which is good for the setup.

• Moderators

Not sure why but I was very impressed with the RB-61 when I had a pair, not so much with the RB-81ii.  I just remembered being so impressed with the sound from a somewhat smaller bookshelf speaker.  With the RB-81ii, they sounded "ok".  YMMV

19 hours ago, Jd1 said:

Hello all, im new to the klipsch community. I currently have def tech speakers and have had them for a while. The klipsch line is very appealing to me. I was wondering if anyone can help. I want to get the RF 82 ii and the RC 62 ii or the 64 ii. Will these be a match or are they going to sound a little different together with the 64 ii or will it be ok? I was also thinking of a combo of one of those centers with the rb 81 ii. The system is primarily used right now for tv and movies. Some music, all types. I have a pioneer elite receiver for power right now. I am doing a 5.1 system for right now. Any help from would be appreciated. I heard the RC 62 and rb 62 and I really liked the way they make natural sound. Or should I be thinking about the premier line instead? I also wanted to add I already have an svs sb 16 ultra sub too. With all the speakers on sale right now, it's a great time to build a system!

Both of the centers will work with the RF82s.  If cost is not important the RC64 will likely be preferred.  There is an important characteristic though of the seating arrangement, where different layouts can benefit from the 2 different centers.  

How far away are you sitting from where the center channel will be?  How many seats are there in your seating space i.e. do you have a couch, or several seats, or what is there from one side of the listening area to the other?  

I may be one of the few here that has both the Reference II line and another setup with the Reference Premiere line.  

I do not think you will be unhappy with either line of speakers, they are both excellent.

The newer RP line has done something special to improve the higher frequencies.  I'm not an engineer, have no idea exactly what makes it better.

The driver may be different.  I know the horn for the tweeter has a rubberized coating.  I would be skeptical that it matters but if that's the difference...it's excellent.

The older Reference II line can be purchased new or used at great prices, that is the extra benefit of the Reference II line. 

I recently changed a setup from large floorstanding speakers to bookshelf speakers on wall-mounts.  I find them both to work well, but my initial sense is that the floorstanders had stronger mid-bass response.  Someone with more experience may be able to give a more definitive answer on that, but that's the only difference I notice.  I am not using autocorrection in this theater...if I did it would likely remove that difference. 

You mentioned having a 5.1 system, so the low-end capabilities of both are moot as they will be crossed to the subwoofer...but the RF82s will play lower on their own than the RF81s will.  

Thanks to all of you! I went ahead and ordered the RC-62 ii along with the RB-61 ii. I agreed with you guys after reading specs and seeing reviews and seeing some on YouTube that the RB-62 was the better route. Because I can't really here the speakers I'm interested in anywhere here in northern va I've ordered also the rp-450c as well as the rp-160ms. After seeing some YouTube reviews and demos the rp series sounds pretty legitimate. So I have 30 days, I figure let my ears do the talking. This is not a dedicated theater room. It's a living room with a sofa and a couple chairs it's an open layout as I have a town home. There are hard wood floors and I have do have curtains for the windows and pictures on the wall and the main entertainment center with a big rug on the floor as well. If I had I could do the rp-62 or 82 and possibly the rf 82. Wish I could find the Rf 62 still as they are a little smaller print then the others.  I sit about 8 feet away from the screen. I have an svs sub sb16 ultra I just traded up for from the 13 ultra. But am thinking about selling it and getting 2 smaller klipsch subs. There is one on Amazon that's a 12 and I think it's older reference because it has no copper cone it's all black, it still ported from the from however. I know svs is awesome, but they just take up a whole lot of space as my living room is a multi function room. What do you guys think? Hope all the additional info is good and I'm thinking about this right.

Yes, we invite them over sometimes for movie night. Even with the one sb 13 and now the sb 16. Disturbing them, huh, not really too worried only had a complaint once hit that was with music. Duals will give better output. The klipsch is about the size of a jl audio e 112. I heard the klipsch subs are good. Willing to try. I'll spend the money but hate spending it on another 2k sub plus I'm seriously running out of space! 

On 1/26/2017 at 4:50 PM, Jd1 said:

Welcome to the expert(s) forum.

You have your first "Like".

Yes, we invite them over sometimes for movie night. Even with the one sb 13 and now the sb 16. Disturbing them, huh, not really too worried only had a complaint once hit that was with music. Duals will give better output. The klipsch is about the size of a jl audio e 112. I heard the klipsch subs are good. Willing to try. I'll spend the money but hate spending it on another 2k sub plus I'm seriously running out of space! 

Again having been through several of the Klipsch subs I don't recommend leaving SVS for them, but that's just one guys opinion.

As far as the centers, because you sit close, the RC62 is actually a better choice than the wider centers.  It's a complicated explanation but the short version is the center will be anchored better with the smaller footprint center when you sit that close.  If you sat further away, the larger ones become a better option.  Again my 2c, certainly just one opinion. 

• Like 1

Thanks RoboKlipsh, and to all that provided feedback. I made a decision, thought I'd tell you guys. I have gotten the rc-62 ii center and I have gotten the RB-81 ii for front left and right and for the surrounds I'll do the RB 51 or the 61 not sure yet exactly. May do a bi polar surround. As far as the sub right now, it's definitely back to square one. One of the subs will be hidden and one out in the open and these hideous metal grills of the svs subs is not going to be ok, this sb16 ultra while tremendously clean and guttural output is outstanding it's just too darn big.