Tube Repair?

ssh

You would do that.  Any sort of high temp sealant you can get in the crack, or double down and de-solder all 4 pins at their ends (they are hollow tubes) and pull the phenolic socket loose from the leads, fill with sealant of choice, then re-seat and re-solder the leads. 

If not too loose, just leave it alone.  Invasive procedure maybe more harmful than ignoring.  

Thanks for the response, EMRR. Do I understand correctly that I should simply encircle the glass with sealant where it meets the base? Several years ago, as backups, I bought the last pr JACS had, and have not used them thinking that they need to be powered up with a Variac (which I don't have).   

SSH

17 hours ago, ssh said:

I have a pr of AVVT 2A3s that have wobbly glass (I can wiggle it a little) where the glass meets the base. They sound OK, but do they need repair, and if so, who would do that?

SSH

i hope this helps

http://www.jacmusic.com/accesories/Tube-Glue/tube-glue-.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/157600-loose-tube-bases.html

On 1/27/2017 at 1:00 PM, ssh said:

I have a pr of AVVT 2A3s that have wobbly glass (I can wiggle it a little) where the glass meets the base. They sound OK, but do they need repair, and if so, who would do that?

SSH

Is that the same one that was wobbly a few pilgrimages ago? They sounded great...

I'd get some super glue with a narrow needle like tip and inject it till it fills enough to stick. I did that with an old globe 245  and it is still good.

On 1/28/2017 at 10:28 AM, Schu said:

s-l1600.jpg

Well iv seen everything now.

No tube can be "Repaired" ---- The only way would be to remove the glass and re-blow a new envelope, sucking a vacume at the same time of course.

You tube has some great tube Mfg Videos for info.

If it's even cracked, it's toast, sorry.