3 Go To Songs for Testing Speakers

bcarey13

Trying to get some ideas for what others use test new setups/speakers....Aaron gave me a great song today to try....typically 3 of my go to's are

Black Cow-Steely Dan

Into the Mystic-Van Morrison

Gravity-John Mayer

These aren't meant to be  "Critical Listening" Test Songs...Just fun songs that you know well

Somewhere in the archives there is a thread on this very thing, but good luck searching for it.  I don't mind new threads on this topic because people update their preferences from time-to-time.

In general I like something with female vocals, male vocals and then something else.  The something else could be a favorite song, or something that speakers have a hard time reproducing like piano, or brass instruments, neither of which are electronically generated in its natural forum.

Here are my male and female Youtube go to's.  Play them loud and with subwoofer.

If you have a horn loaded woofer like the La Scala or Khorn you will get a treat with the upright string bass, Randy Travis Forever and Ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgJXbIP83A8

^^^^^ I'll have to check these out.  Part of this thread is selfish as sometimes I get bored listening to the same songs I always have in my set list....Trying to broaden my horizons ^_^

I figured there would've been a thread on this before but couldn't find it.

• Like 1

My turn:

1) Thom Rotella's bass solo from the song "Friends". Tells you how well the woofer and mirage crossover is.

2) Yoko Kanno's Green Bird, again very challenging song for speakers, and one that all mine except for my Magnepans have failed at (La Scalas are not ready for a real test yet). 

3) Bela Fleck Cosmic Hippo. This is a test of bass output too, and how well the bass and banjo interact.

• Like 1

Sound track to "Last of the Mohicans". A dark soundtrack but good digital.

CSN first album on vinyl. Stills bass.....Martin guitars and world call harmonies.

Not to be a snob but my original pressing of Henry Mancini "Peter Gunn" is just nuts. 1959 two microphones two track with the orchestra on a well tuned soundstage.

B Carey if you like Steely Dan (as do I) I think you would like Chick Corea, where classical meets jazz.  THE most difficult instrument to reproduce faithfully is the piano because of its range, dynamic range and just sheer power.  The whole album of My Spanish Heart is worth a listen, but here is a piece that will challenge any speaker setup: 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bcarey13 said:

Black Cow-Steely Dan

Gravity-John Mayer

Funny, these are two of mine also.

4 hours ago, bcarey13 said:

These aren't meant to be  "Critical Listening" Test Songs...Just fun songs that you know well

I actually think they are critical listening songs.

Bill

2 hours ago, willland said:

Funny, these are two of mine also.

I actually think they are critical listening songs.

Bill

That is funny....never thought I'd get another person with 2 of the same songs....

I really enjoy listening to these songs, and don't try to over analyze them while listening but for me when I listen to Black Cow especially I know whether I like the setup or not....gotta love Steely Dan

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

B Carey if you like Steely Dan (as do I) I think you would like Chick Corea, where classical meets jazz.  THE most difficult instrument to reproduce faithfully is the piano because of its range, dynamic range and just sheer power.  The whole album of My Spanish Heart is worth a listen, but here is a piece that will challenge any speaker setup:

That's great..I'll have to try some of that out.  I actually am a fan of Chick Corea.  I was late to the game with him but really started listening to him in the late 80's early 90's when Dave Weckyl joined up with him in his Elektric Band and then later the Acoustic Version....Weckyl on drums and Patitucci on upright bass was amazing.

6 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Somewhere in the archives there is a thread on this very thing, but good luck searching for it.  I don't mind new threads on this topic because people update their preferences from time-to-time.

There you go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Wow, I really like that. Going to order a copy. In a similar vein I have used The Goldberg Variations by Glen Gould over the years. My new Ohms passed with flying colours.

• Like 1

I like Kiss me by 6 pence none the richer if I am listening with my wife. If I am flying solo - Into the night - the Nickelback version.

If I am with my son - or even flying solo - and I have the records and a player setup - Tchaikovsky's 1812 with real cannon fire - Minneapolis orchestra, Antal Dorati conductor, Deems taylor commentary - great on LP, even better on reel. I have several of both record and reel. I consider these like tires on my car, use and when wore out, replace.

My friend has one - called the sugar man song - which is so lousy a recording, if some equipment makes it sound good, that is a inaccurate piece of equipment that's made to improve everything, and not revealing. I dunno what the details are, but he always mentions it. This think made the sugar man song sound good. So its a lousy piece of equipment.

Cool.

Srinath.

6 hours ago, bcarey13 said:

and don't try to over analyze them while listening but for me when I listen to Black Cow especially I know whether I like the setup or not....gotta love Steely Dan

You really don't have to over analyze a recording that is done by master musicians and sound engineers, these guys just do it right from beginning to end.  As a matter of fact, I have used the entire Aja album to dial things in.  Imaging and soundstage perfection.

Bill

• Like 3

I'm probably a little younger than most folks(no pun intended[emoji23]) but I'll throw in a few. I listen to everything but I have a preference for Dance/electronic for the most part.

Alan Walker: has some nice songs and remixes of "Faded" and "Alone". Some of them are piano versions too.

Knife party: "Bonfire's" has some serious bass and dynamics.

Adele: "when we were young" is one of my favorite vocal songs.

Lindsey Stirling: "Crystallize" she mixes violin with electronic beats.

Just a few for the thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, willland said:

You really don't have to over analyze a recording that is done by master musicians and sound engineers, these guys just do it right from beginning to end.  As a matter of fact, I have used the entire Aja album to dial things in.  Imaging and soundstage perfection.

Bill

Steely Dan were studio wizards. I'm surprised I've never thought to use them. You now have me in the mood to play a few albums this afternoon.

• Like 1

Billy Joel - Goodnight Saigon 

The White Buffalo with the forest rangers - House of the rising sun (not sure if there are any sons of anarchy fans on here but I'd highly recommend it) Song is from that show. 

Noah Gunderson and the forest rangers -  Day is gone 

The last two I mentioned were the first songs where I was really in awe of the soundstage our Klipsch heritage speakers can produce!