Set up for Klipschorns

dlapointeus

Recently I cleared out a family member's storage unit and came home with a pair of Klipschorns.  I believe they are circa mid 1970's.  I'm pretty well educated in regards to newer/digital audio, however relatively new to anything vintage or analog. In addition I was able to get two amplifiers - HH Scott 222-D tube amp, and AKAI AM-2800.  Both seem to be in decent condition, however would need some cleaning and/or attention.  Lastly was a Technics SL-5210 turntable.  I have a pretty large vinyl collection from when I was young and really want to maximize the khorns, solely for them.  I have a decent sized room (maybe 16 x 12) with solid corners.  I know there is tons of info online about the various components and I've read a LOT (almost overwhelming), but I'm hoping to get any feedback here on what the best approach might be.  I have a modest amount I could invest - but is it worth trying to recondition one of the amps, use the turntable, go an entirely different direction, etc...

I understand it's a pretty vague question - but any input would be greatly appreciated.

First-welcome! What a great find for you. I don't know about the amps but I do have klipschorns. Everyone likes pictures. If you have a picture hosting account with photobucket or similar you can post good pics without having to limit to 2mb size limit here. Also if the Khorns have labels on them you can decipher the year built. From what I've read on the gear you have, you should have a wonderful sound.

I'm sure many others will join in with suggestions for everything.

What ever you spend on this set up is well worth it. The speakers are some of the best may need capacitors but that's easy. Make sure all the drivers work easy to do. May need to get tube amp serviced another easy but not cheap item.

You can always use an amp or receiver till you get to service the amp. I would get the Ks going and enjoy till you can get to the other stuff.

Some people would kill for what just fell in to your hands.....wow.

I have 1972 Ks that I had to do a lot of work to but well worth the time and money.

You got a lot of reading to do. Oh by the way the top horn section comes off to make it easier to transport if you did not know already.

Welcome to the forum. I would say, depending on if the Scott has been serviced recently, it would be best do do so. After that stick the khorns along the 16' wall and enjoy for a couple months. After that, replace the caps in the crossovers of the khorns. That way you get the personal experience of how caps affect the sound. If done wisely, this could all be done for less than $1000, maybe closer to 700ish. Once all done, sit back and enjoy for the next 30 years.

Welcome to the forums! The Scott 222D uses tubes that I believe are rather hard to find, or easy to find but expensive. Still, the Scotts are usually nice amps. You can contact Craig at NOSValves.com and ask him the costs/value. The horns would work very, very well with low to medium power tube amps (2 to 25 wpc). The crossovers would almost certainly need refreshing/updating, and there are folks here who can help you with that.

Pick up some pipe foam insulation to seal bass bins to walls seal them vertically on the tail board and horizontally  top edge.

Its likely the tweeter is blown you can get new ones or rebuild the ones you got if you can find diaphragms.  

Your first call should be to Bob Crites and also look at Bobs site.

You got lucky on this score maybe you should buy a lottery ticket.

The AM-2800 is quite rare here in the states and for an integrated amp, it will perform admirably with Klipsch speakers. I'm using one to power a pair if Heresies. It's unique loudness control makes the Heresy come alive.

Cheers to your recent score!

On 01/30/2017 at 0:45 PM, ricktate said:

HH Scott 299b- rebuilt by NOSVALVES    you might check this post out this is what these tube amps are going for......Wish I had one.

The 222D is another animal altogether... It uses the 7199 like the Dynaco ST70, a tbue with a pentode and triode in one tube.

Bruce

• 2 months later...

Only now I found this post.

I am interested to hear of that Akai AM2800. I have the next in line model - AM2850.

The peculiar thing I have noticed is that volume knob need just a bit turn to go very loud, i.e. from zero just a few klicks and it gets very loud. Have you noticed the same in your amp? Otherwise, the amp performs well.

akai_am2950_stereo_integrated_amplifier_

This is photo from net and it is 2950, but my 2850 is visually the same.

• Like 1

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 9:51 AM, ricktate said:

Oh by the way the top horn section comes off to make it easier to transport if you did not know already.

This is MOST LIKELY true, but it depends on the model of the K-horn, whether the top section is removable.  MOST K-horns (but not ALL!) which were purchased for in-home use over the years have a removable top section (called the H/F section)...but the further back one goes in the history of K-horn production, the more likely the top section is NOT removable.  If the model is "D" style (decorator), the top section is not removable (unless it was modified later on after purchase.

This is why pics of what you have are important to determine what you can do and cannot do.

On 1/29/2017 at 8:58 AM, dlapointeus said:

I know there is tons of info online about the various components and I've read a LOT (almost overwhelming), but I'm hoping to get any feedback here on what the best approach might be.

See: