$60 La Scala Purchase = New Project

BamaMike

That's not a typo! lol

I recently purchased my 5th pair of Klipsch speakers! I was up buying my 2nd pair of Heresy from a very nice gentlemen in the Birmingham, AL area and he had scads of equipment in his house. Lots of very nice vintage receivers (3 CR-1020's no less!). He was selling the Heresy due to lack of bass (common complaint as we all know) so picked up a pair of mid-80 units in great shape with cane grills for $200. As we got to talking and I told him I had a pair of La Scalas he started to open up and I felt a friendship coming on! He threw in some other goodies with my Heresy purchase... Fairly new (working!) Pioneer sub-woofer, a Yamaha dual cassette deck and a Rotel R-3045 receiver. Can't beat all that for $200. SO... he takes me in the basement and he has two pair of La Scalas! One set is hooked up and running with yet another CR-1020 but off in the corner I can see one La Scala in Walnut finish. He asked me if I was interested and of course I always am. He bought them sight unseen but when he went to pick them up, one speaker had been disassembled. He negotiated the price down and took them home with the intent to restore/rebuild and there they sat. He offered them to me for $100. I jumped right on it but had to come back 2 weeks later with my truck. I didn't look them over closely at the time. When I went back yesterday, he had them out in the drive way which afforded me better lighting than the basement. Pretty rough! The disassembled cab is missing two pieces and one tweeter was MIA so he took $60 for the lot. He even threw in what appears to be a NOS woofer (newer model - see pic - need help identifying).

The woofer enclosure is intact. The mid-horns have been caulked for some dampening effect, I presume and I'm not sure what's up with the woofer from the disassembled cab. Strips of terry cloth loosely taped to the frame with electrical tape.

I'm going to take everything down to the bare components and rebuild these bad boys. Looking for suggestions/ideas.

Crites tweeters? Crites new mid drivers? Find a K33 to match the "other" one or find another later model woofer to match the freebie?

Cab design? I'm thinking salvage the base enclosures and replaces all other wood and veener to my liking. Possibly integrate a base bin mod to the cabinet design.

What say you folks?!! At the price I paid for these, I don't think I can go wrong. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

20170128_111813.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, minermark said:

Crites will set up up any way you want, call him and he is always willing to "Chat"

Great Xovers, great Pricing.

Right. I've called before. I restored some Heresies and used his "kit" for the crossover.

Link: http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/MCoffel/library/Klipsch Heresy Restoration

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BamaMike said:

Right. I've called before. I restored some Heresies and used his "kit" for the crossover.

Link: http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/MCoffel/library/Klipsch Heresy Restoration

When i do Vintage, i go new and complete, i think scala xovers were around 3bones, nothing like "Fresh"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BamaMike said:

Exactly! I have a relatively "stock" pair so I want to make these something special

If you want to make these something special then, I'd urge you to consider making them 2-way and use the K510.  You already have to do some work to the top of one, so you can put a new motorboard on it to incorporate the 510 inside.

Once you hear it, it's hard to go back.

What are the wash-cloth looking things on the woofer driver itself?

JubeScala II.JPG

• Like 1

Ah, Coytee and the 510...  :-)

I was in the same boat, but simply could not afford that route. I ended up with:

Crites ST125 Tweeters

Crites Diaphragm kit for K-55s

New K-33 Woofers

Crites rebuild kit for X-overs

I'll end up with about $670 invested in total (La Scala's were free, see my thread on that).

Now, that being said, if you can find the 510s and swing the cost of the drivers, that would be something to hear.

• Like 1

Man, what a great project.  You can do about anything you want at this stage.  The guy could have installed the brace inside the doghouse through the hatch using some glue and two screws.  At this stage all the hard work is done.  You could paint them black inside and veneer the outside.  Great steal!!!!

I think someone was trying to eliminate "cage ringing" with the terry cloth. Not sure.

Put a meter on everything and all the speakers are good.

A friend came over yesterday and did his best to sway me towards a stock rebuild. Being that the dog house is intact but apart on the one, I would love to veneer it but that leaves the other being a little more difficult to veneer. Especially if I want everything visible done.

So... I need to make a decision on the woofer and do a full rebuild on the crossovers and during that time I will mull over what direction to go with the cabinets. I've veneered before so I'm confident enough to choose something a little more exotic. I'll get the wife's opinion on that.

Bama, I've never veneered a LS that was intact.  Boy you have to cut the veneer exactly right.  A lot easier what I'm doing now building one from scratch and veneering as I go.  The separate doghouse should be easier since you don't have to worry about the length of the veneer.  Post pics of whatever you decide to do.  Great project.