Stacked subs?

Justus

4 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

You also could have had them out of phase being front and back. Did you try phase change in back to get the most bass at the main seat 

I agree, i did have someone else turning phase knob on the back sub while i was listening (prior locations).

I also told them to turn it in minor adjustments sometimes and to PRETEND to turn it other times and just tell me when they were done moving it that notch (or not).

It was the only way i could figure on a blind test. .  The only thing i noticed was it get boomy at some point and sounded terrible.

In the end, it sounds good so.... here we sit i guess

My best guess is that when you corner load that sub a certain group of frequencies are being augmented big time with that corner load.

You are hearing a certain range that is boosted beyond the others is my best guess.

There's a HUGE difference when placing subs in a rectangular room...the corners get louder with the reenforcement but rarily are even close to a flat response.

The midpoints of the walls is really where the flattest response can be had.  This may not sound as powerful or loud at first.

Getting a measurement microphone like the UMIK is the best $100 investment you could make.  You can measure all day long in any spot you want and see for yourself what exactly is going on.  But having spent a LOT of hours moving subs and measuring I am thinking it's very likely you are getting "boom" at certain frequencies that is striking.  

I generally discourage people from stacking subwoofers. The reason is explained below:

Stacking Two Subwoofers Versus Placing Them in Different Locations
If you stack (co-locating) two subwoofers on top of each other and place them in a corner, you will get up to 6dB's of additional output. If you place the two subwoofers in different locations (e.g., the middle of the two side walls or one in the middle of the front wall and the other one in the middle of the rear wall), you may not get as much additional output, but two subwoofers on two sides of the room will eliminate many room modes and create a more even and smoother bass across the room for all listening positions. The advantages of placing two subwoofers in different locations far outweigh any additional output that you may gain from stacking them on top of each other.

If you still want to stack your subwoofers, buy an anti slip mat, cut it to size, and put it on top of the bottom subwoofer.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=174842

The subs are staying, im not complaining.

They used to be in opposing corners, so throwing the rear sub on top of the front sub didnt change the fact they were, and are in a corner still (reiterating cause i think someone overlooked that).

Its not boomy stacked, it got boomy at opposing corners when the phase was switched. Sorry if my post was misunderstood..

Middle of right wall has a fireplace, and a cutout for some stupid reason next to the fire place thats pretty big and is inclosed at the top and sides so im not putting it in there as id assume it would be boomy as hell. Plus, wine fridge.

Left wall middle is right next to couch and i dont want a sub that close to drink/food.

3000cu ft room that has hallway access on 1 end, and kitchen entry on the other side, no doors. Not my house so i cannot frame in a doorway.

Again, no complaints... was just kinda sharing how surprised i was.

It's all good, the second best spot for subs is the corner and with sub EQ, it can work great.  I have 5 subs in a corner location, a 6th sub as an end table where food and drinks go on top of it, lol.  You need imagination and creativity for sub placement.  The other speakers are in a straight forward pattern.

• Like 1

As I understand it, subs close together and effectively the area of the drivers combines increasing efficiency, subs apart and the interaction is much less coherent which may allow fewer hot spots and overall smoother response, but not much if any gain in efficiency.

• Like 1

I ran my Ultra 2's stacked and they sounded incredible. Separated along the front wall dispersed the bass more evenly at lower volumes but did seem to cut output at higher volumes, probably because the only corner available was where they were stacked, when I separated them the other was 4 ft from a corner.

I know there's all of these "rules" and papers etc written on the proper way to do things and I think they make great starting points but don't be afraid to experiment and find what works best for you in your room. 

• Like 2

No corner has an identical response.  It is amazingly hard to get a coherent response ino without the ability to manipulate delay.  Even positioned at an equal distance wont guarantee proper alignment.  You have found something u like...nothing else matters.  It may be that simple.  

• Like 1