KMS Subwoofer - a plea for info!

AxeAudio

Hi All,

I'm considering buying a Klipsch KMS sub to compliment my home cinema setup.  However, apart from discovering it was manufactured for the US armed forces between '94 and '96 sometime, I have been able to discover VERY little about it!  

Could anyone fill me in on its specs?  I know it has an 8" speaker, but I haven't been able to confirm wattage etc.  I'm going to be running it out of the sub pre-out on my AV amp, and using the Line-in on the KMS.  I'm assuming this would be suitable?

Apologies - I don't have the level of knowledge of many on these boards,  so am hoping that somebody can help :)

Thanks in advance!

Is there a reason you're wanting to limit yourself to only an 8" subwoofer instead of something that would move more air?  I'd consider nothing less than a 10" driver in a sub.  What made you settle on the KMS? (I believe it is the Military Distributed model of the KG SW).

Several reasons...   Size being one of them, but also the fact that the room is fairly small, and have never had any issues with other 8" drivers in the same space.  I didn't settle on the KMS so much as it settled on me...  I have a chance to buy it fairly cheaply, and see that it's likely to be a better option than many current low-end subs (I unfortunately don't have a lot to spend...!).  

By the way, isn't the KG SW a passive sub?  The KMS is an active sub, so I'm guessing not really comparable...?  

Klipsch was kind enough to remove nearly all information about of their discontinued products for our convenience.

Probably a 50-75 watt amplifier with a fixed crossover of some kind.

Value depends on condition but $25 or less and it works good you did OK.

• Like 1

It appears the subwoofer you have may be a passive 8 inch 100 (FS) continuous watts and 500 peak (rms).

For a small room such as a bedroom, RV, etc. 8 inch "should" work ok, however generally min. subwoofer rating is 250 watts continuous (FS) and 400 - 500 watts peak (RMS).

Lower bass tones output of a subwoofer normally uses  more power than your other speakers, possibly require more power than the rest of the speakers combined.  Which is one reason why sub-woofers are often non-passive. I.e. have their own amp to drive the subwoofer.

Take a look at this KG SW series brochures which has  some speaker and a subwoofer specifications.

The brochure states something about their KG SW subwoofer uses two 8 inch drivers and is passive, and does not  required to be powered. Subwoofers often have their own built-in power amp as many receivers don't have enough output wattage to drive low base tones produced by a subwoofer.

http://images.klipsch.com/Brochure_920500_Kg_point_2_series_635164772691700000.pdf

A KG SW subwoofer from eBay shows it has two sets of inputs, apparently one for each driver. Plus a switch for low and high output.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KLIPSCH-KG-SW-SUB-SUBWOOFER-FIN-BLK-/391596830567?hash=item5b2cfd6f67:g:T-0AAOSwPCVX7u2n

Edited by albert

33 minutes ago, albert said:

The brochure states something about their KG SW subwoofer uses two 8 inch drivers and is passive, and does not  required to be powered.

Not exactly.  It doesn't need an additional amplifier.  It uses the amp that powers your speakers.  Any passive speaker needs some sort of amplification.

On 1/30/2017 at 11:38 AM, CECAA850 said:

Not exactly.  It doesn't need an additional amplifier.  It uses the amp that powers your speakers.  Any passive speaker needs some sort of amplification.

My Denon receiver has a separate round connector for a subwoofer that can be set for a passive or  self powered subwoofer. However their are no specs for a max. wattage passive subwoofer. The Denon receiver is capable to drive up to 75 watt 8 ohm speakers and up to 120 watt 6 ohm speakers. There are no max. output specifications  for driving a passive subwoofer, but I suspect a subwoofer has the same limitations as the speakers when connector to the subwoofer  or speaker outputs, unless a receiver has some sort of  subwoofer driver, which the original rec. for the Theatre system possibly could have had.  The orig KG  receiver was designed to drive from 50 to 100 watt speakers depending on the version (1.2 -  5.2).

Lower base tones a subwoofer output uses much more wattage than a  normal speaker, potentially more wattage than all your speakers combined.

This subwoofer is 100 watts continuous and 500 watts peak.  I think may depend on whether your receiver is capable of driving a passive subwoofer of certain wattages as well as the type of sounds that are being reproduced.

Edited by albert

25 minutes ago, albert said:

My Denon receiver has a separate round connector for a subwoofer that can be set for a passive or  self powered subwoofer. However their are no specs for a max. wattage passive subwoofer. The Denon receiver is capable to drive up to 75 watt 8 ohm speakers and up to 120 watt 6 ohm speakers. There are no max. output specifications  for driving a passive subwoofer. 

Lower base tones a subwoofer output uses much more wattage than a  normal speaker, potentially more wattage than all your speakers combined.

This subwoofer is 100 watts continuous and 500 watts peak.  I think may depend on whether your receiver is capable of driving a passive subwoofer of certain wattages as well as the type of sounds that are being reproduced.

Oh dear, where to begin.  Let's start at the top...

The "round connector" is a pre-out.  It delivers a line-level output to an outboard amplifier.  It does not carry high-current required of a passive subwoofer.  What receiver is this supposedly on, and how does it know whether or not the line should be hot?  How does it power the line hot if it's even able to?

Assuming it's capable of driving an outboard passive sub, what specs does it specify that lead you to believe that the output is the same all channels driven?

You are correct that it requires more output, but that even moreso lends to the fact that having an AVR with an onboard amplifier for an extra sub makes little sense.  I'd estimate the WPC dropping to near nothing if that were the case.

Again I ask...what AVR do you have that has the option for a passive or powered sub that uses a pre-out?  I only know of AVR's that use positive-negative 2-conductor posts for a passive.

36 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

What is the model # of your receiver?

I found it on eBay and it hasn't been delivered yet. It's a Denon AVR-1612. Picked it up for $72.00 (included shipping and tax)

I didn't look for a higher wattage receiver because I was looking for something to be installed into a RV. I also found a pair of Klipsch SB-1, 8 ohm 75 watt (500 peak) bookshelf speakers for it. Most RVs unless has  many speakers don't normally require a high amp receiver driving large high wattage speakers.

My last audio system I owned a number of years ago used an analog 300 watt Pioneer receiver with large floor speakers. I used it to record and play audio  from a Teac with reel to reel.  I''m starting to become more familiar with digital audio equipment, but it's sort of becomes boring sifting through all the specifications and reading about various types of audio equipment from audio related forums.

What I use to do to learn about various types of electronics is either  buy and try it out  or repair it. When repairing, you often learn more about  equipment you might not become aware of when using and operating. I don't do much in the way of repairing any more however. I did find a Klipsch Sub 10 subwoofer at a low price. It won't turn on or produce sound, I'm thinking about picking up and trying to repair.

Edited by albert

1 minute ago, albert said:

I found it on eBay and it hasn't been delivered yet. It's a Denon AVR-1612. Picked it up for $72.00 (included shipping and tax)

The subwoofer out on that unit is a line-out only.  You can not use that output for a passive sub.

57 minutes ago, IbizaFlame said:

Oh dear, where to begin.  Let's start at the top...

The "round connector" is a pre-out.  It delivers a line-level output to an outboard amplifier.  It does not carry high-current required of a passive subwoofer.  What receiver is this supposedly on, and how does it know whether or not the line should be hot?  How does it power the line hot if it's even able to?

Assuming it's capable of driving an outboard passive sub, what specs does it specify that lead you to believe that the output is the same all channels driven?

Again I ask...what AVR do you have that has the option for a passive or powered sub that uses a pre-out?  I only know of AVR's that use positive-negative 2-conductor posts for a passive.

AVR-1612 I've only scanned through the use manual. It was found used on eBay, haven't yet received and become familiar with it. I'm more familiar with analog receivers. I've been using various types of audio equipment since the 50's, but haven't  needed to get into digital. I've programmed and wrote code for various digital devices. I know pretty much how the programmers and the type of low level code their using to program various type of devices digitally. The programmers manufactures hire   often  borrow sub-routines and code that's already been written for various types of control chips.

I haven't had a chance to look at the receiver and read more thoroughly through it's user manual. I'd be better off finding an actual service manual to understand how it operates in more specific detail.

Edited by albert

14 minutes ago, IbizaFlame said:

It has nothing to do with that.  The AVR is not capable of powering the sub.  The most power I've seen packed into an AVR was 910 watts, that would barely power my RSW-10.

Well, like i said I haven't had a chance to operate the Denon or read through it's user's manual.

It's mainly going to used with a PC and DVD player. I don't plan on connecting other audio equipment to it and not going to get trapped into constantly upgrading audio equipment, similar to PC equipment which I've been upgrading since 1981, of which I probably have over a mil invested in both time and money.

Edited by albert