What Are Used Heritage Speakers So Inexpensive?

SiliconTi

I had TWO pairs of Cornwall 1's that I paid between $800 and a grand for when a walnut pair of Cornwall 2's in fine shape came up for 600 bucks - CDN! I had no reservations about adding a third pair of Cornwall's to the herd for that price.

It took me exactly one day to sell a pair of the Cornwall 1's for what they cost me...

I then had no intention of buying another pair of speakers when a pair of CF-3's came up for $500. I have no regrets about sealing the deal for $600.

Next pair of LaScala's I see for a weeks take home pay will probably cause some grief on the homefront!

Inexpensive is a relative term, I would say Klipsch speakers hold their value well.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, geoff. said:

Inexpensive is a relative term, I would say Klipsch speakers hold their value well

I was thinking the same thing, they do hold their value well, and the good thing is they are built to last. You really have to abuse one pretty bad to cause a problem.

This past summer while visiting a friend in Lafayette LA, his relative had a pair of Heresy's get flooded the week before. They had water inside the cabinet on both speakers almost up to the woofer magnet, I guess the backs leaked ? They removed the backs and everything looked fine, the cabinet was solid and no rust on any metal. It was quite the surprise to everyone, he was hoping to save them, and they were fine as is. So they put a gasket on the back door and closed them up, they played fine. everyone was shocked. He was told to later check all connections and add some light oil to the metal connectors since they got wet and might rust later.

On Thursday, February 02, 2017 at 7:17 AM, Seadog said:

I paid $550 for a pair of KG4's in 1985.  They are probably worth $300 on the used market today.  That same $550 in my 401K is probably worth $2600 today (assuming 5% annual rate of return).  If I could go back in time, I would still buy the speakers.

The current balance of your 401K may have LOOKED better today...but I bet the speakers have SOUNDED better over the past 21 years!

• Like 2