Newer SS this vs that..post 80s

Woofers and Tweeters

I had some newer digital power sources and discovered that they sound like chit vs old school receivers and amps. For a few years, I have been rolling and A/B ing the 70s and 80s offerings that were designed and built in the heyday of no holds barred, no expense spared for more power and higher fidelity time period. As far as looks, they still have the sharp dressed man look, vs the man wearing spandex pants look. From one of the threads that solicits advice on what SS sounds best with Klipsch, @willland threw the Luxman R117 into the mix. He now has the Yamaha A-S1000 and from everything that I have read, it's a one to have too. I bought a Luxman R115 (it's willand's fault) and the Luxman R117 (thanks @RockOn4Klipsch) that has proven to be what everyone says. Now I'm looking for the Yamaha AS1000, which has me reading about the other offerings that compete with them.

What do You recommend to try and just as important, if not more, what do you say to stay away from.....what newer 2 channel power are you listening to?

I am looking at the:

Yamaha A-S1000 or 2000

Marantz PM800(x)

TEAC AI 2000

What else has the magic??

Okay, I am not going to quote you at all.  Yes all my fault.:o:unsure::P;)

First, are you going to replace the R-115/R-117 with one of these newer integrateds or add them to your collection?

Second, I love/loved the R-115 which drove a pair of fortes for a while, and the R-117(regret selling:() which drove my Heresys.  My Yamaha A-S1000 drives my RB-75's.  What speakers would you drive with these amps in question?

As mentioned before in another thread, hifiheaven.net has an excellent trade-in program and they just happen to sell all four amps you mentioned.

http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Products/Stereo-Components/Integrated-Amplifiers/Yamaha-A-S1000-Integrated-Amplifier?sort=pd.name&order=DESC&limit=100

http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Products/Stereo-Components/Integrated-Amplifiers/Yamaha-A-S2000-Integrated-Amplifier-demo?sort=pd.name&order=DESC&limit=100

http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Products/Stereo-Components/Integrated-Amplifiers/Marantz-PM8005-Integrated-Amplifier?sort=pd.name&order=DESC&limit=100

http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Products/Stereo-Components/Integrated-Amplifiers?product_id=3767&sort=pd.name&order=DESC&limit=100

Oh, and A4Less has the A-S1000 refurbished.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamas1000bl/yamaha-a-s1000-140-watt-stereo-integrated-stereo-amplifier/1.html

Bill

1 hour ago, willland said:

First, are you going to replace the R-115/R-117 with one of these newer integrateds or add them to your collection?

Yes :lol:

I want to add one (all of) of them in  the mix. I know that I have to AB them to know which is the better sounding. I have pretty good ears, but the details of each shine when they're AB. I let a coworker add my RB35 with his RB35 and we did a low watt shootout with a few amps and receivers at work. Each pair got a day of music and knob adjusting. The HK730 ate everyone's lunch....until I took in the Luxman R115. Both had details that made it tough to declare a winner. In the end I just broke up the fight, took the HK to my office (replacing the Yamaha I had there), then took the Luxman and a pair of HII to my sisters to let her enjoy them.  

Reading about the Yamaha A-S1000 (your fault again :P), I see people are pitting it against the Marantz and the TEAC. I am hoping someone will say that X and Y aren't worth having or that one is better because.... and save me some trouble. 

If you're looking for a new SS amp with a ton of current that sounds fantastic see if you can find a used ATI amp.  New ones are pricey but they do show up used from time to time.  They're incredibly well built and I believe the new ones come with 7 year warranties.  Made in the good old USA.

Sending PM

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cincymat said:

James,

Hey, you missed a golden opportunity to hear a modern SS monoblock system last weekend, just sayin'.  ^_^ 

Anytime you're free, except this weekend (daughter home from college), give me a call.

Mark

You're right. I hope to make it up there soon, and thanks for the invite. :emotion-21:

21 hours ago, willland said:

It really will be difficult to best the R-117 in the $500.00 to $1000.00 range.  As a matter of fact it will compete with pieces upwards of $2000.00.

Just saying.

Bill

That's what it's looking like. I am happy with it / them, and am only curious. 

Can't really emphasize enough the importance of unclipped power, even when given a head start in the power race by virtue of high sensitivity speakers.  Some of the old kit really delivered the goods, e.g. that Luxman.

A couple years ago I rehabbed an old NAD amp I've had since college.  The output devices alone in that thing were so over-spec'd it was ridiculous, and that sort of overkill approach was reflected throughout.  Like the Luxman, it can deliver many hundreds of watts into lower impedance loads.  Real hard to clip that fucker, it just get's louder and retains that effortless sound the whole way.  I can bring my more modern ATI amp, ostensibly rated for more continuous output, to it's knees much sooner than the old amp.     

• 4 weeks later...

Hi first post here but long time Klipsch fanboy. I also am looking for a new SS amp. I have an unmolested Kenwood KA 9100 that I

really love the sound of but I want to give it a full restore so I need a stand in. I have been looking at a Yamaha AS 1000,

1100, 2000, 2100, NAD 375, Onkyo A 9070, and Marantz PM 8005. You know you can read reviews until you are blue in the face but

you can't really know until it is in your living room :).

Also I did try an Outlaw RR 2150 but ended up sending it back. The phono section was just weak compared to the Kenwood and

overall it just sounded just ok... It just didn't have the bottom end of the Kenwood - but maybe that wasn't a fair fight. I

think am kind of a bass head anyways.

My current set up is:
Kenwood KA9100
Dual 1219
Sony CDP100 CD changer (I know its old but it sounds fantastic)
Chromecast Audio
Chorus II updated crossovers titanium tweeter treatment

So anyways I have Marantz PM 8005 on the way and it should be here in a couple of days. We will see how it holds up against the

Kenny and I will try and report back soon.

• Like 1

Huiez,

Welcome to the forum.

7 hours ago, Huiez said:

I also am looking for a new SS amp. I have been looking at a Yamaha AS 1000,

1100, 2000, 2100

I think I have mentioned more than once on this forum how pleased I am with my Yamaha A-S1000.  A beast of an amp that is overbuilt, elegant looking, as neutral sounding as it gets, and sure sounds more powerful that it's 90w/ch/140w/ch specs.  My understanding is that the A-S2000 is a bit more refined and both the 1100 and 2100 inject a bit of warmth(mosfets) into the mix.

8 hours ago, Huiez said:

Onkyo A 9070

This is one I was considering when I got my A-S1000.

8 hours ago, Huiez said:

So anyways I have Marantz PM 8005 on the way and it should be here in a couple of days.

I have heard/read good things about this one.

Bill

• Like 1

12 hours ago, willland said:

Huiez,

Welcome to the forum.

I think I have mentioned more than once on this forum how pleased I am with my Yamaha A-S1000.  A beast of an amp that is overbuilt, elegant looking, as neutral sounding as it gets, and sure sounds more powerful that it's 90w/ch/140w/ch specs.  My understanding is that the A-S2000 is a bit more refined and both the 1100 and 2100 inject a bit of warmth(mosfets) into the mix.

This is one I was considering when I got my A-S1000.

I have heard/read good things about this one.

Bill

Thanks willland that's good information. How do you like the phono section on your Yamaha?

I bought a Marantz PM8004 a few years back. It was so good I bought 2 more. Then switched to Marantz Pre/Pro's too. I've been extremely happy with them all. I'd love to hear what you think of the PM8005. I've been currently looking at some Yamaha stuff myself. Sometimes it's not about "better", more that I just want something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1