Newer SS this vs that..post 80s

Woofers and Tweeters

Hello everyone. Hopefully this will be helpful for anyone who is considering a Marantz Pm8005. This seems to be a nice amp and a good match up for Chorus II. It seems to be more powerful than what it is rated. The sound is what I would describe as smooth and powerful with a firm control of the lower end. Bass is very nice, full, and taut. The  mids are rich and the treble is very clear and detailed. I would not call this amp "bright" at all. Surprisingly to me I have used the "source direct" mode for most listening and it sounds awesome. I was not going to buy an amp that did not have tone controls, but I have not used them much yet.

This unit is a "scratch and dent" from Crutchfield and I can find no mark on it and it looks brand new. It had been opened so I do not know how much use that it had seen, but it sounds real good to me straight out of the box. Build quality is awesome - a real nice remote with precise volume control. I probably have 10 hours or so with it. I listen to all kinds of music and I don't really see a weakness with any type of genre and in this price range and for my budget system.

Mostly CD's so far. I have listened to a couple of albums and initially I would say the phono section sounds real good. Seems to be very quiet and with good gain.

I really like this amp so far and no regrets. If anyone has any questions just let me know.
Thanks
Scott

• 3 weeks later...

My tube days are over.  My h/k x30s rivaled, if not surpassed, my updated Dynaco SCA-35 to the point that it was no longer worth the hassle or heat to fuss with tubes.  I traded it to my technician and got work done on my x30s.

As mentioned above, some of the new Class D offerings are excellent.  Several of the SURE offerings have proven worthy.  One powers my DIY Fostex FE-103 based bass reflex boombox.  My latest project is a Gmarsh "The Wiener" TPA 3118 chip amp that has the ability to receive balanced inputs from my Pono player.  The SQ is outstanding.  The TDA7297 amps at less than $10 from eBay are amazing.

Most of my music listening is done at a computer via Spotify or Pandora through nearfield Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.  TV and movies are through an Onkyo AVR, which sounds OK for music.  When I want to seriously listen to 2-channel, it's through The Wiener or one of the h/k x30s.

IMO, vintage gear, such as the h/k x30 receivers has the potential to rival amps costing many times more, but only after full restoration by a competent technician. YMMV

On March 2, 2017 at 8:56 PM, Huiez said:

I want to give it a full restore so I need a stand in.

If you're at all into DIY, I suggest a TDA7297 for less than the cost of lunch as your stand in.  You will be amazed, as will friends and family.  A search of this forum, espcially posts from @rhing, as well as a Google search, will provide all you need to know to get a stand in while you have a restoration done.

3 hours ago, wdecho said:

Anyone wanting to hear the latest vs old SS technology should try one of the Sure boards I talked about here,

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/167399-anyone-here-use-icepower-or-hypex-amplifier-modules/

Class D has really improved of late and in my opinion is the wave of inexpensive commercial equipment. Sure the more expensive amplifiers sound somewhat better but only in small increments. Yesterday I added another Nelson Pass designed single ended single stage multiple output mosfet amplifier to my collection so I know a little about what I am saying. Tubes still rule with our speakers for sure but the differences are not that great. If I had to choose only one amplifier of the more than 20 I own it would be a SET tube amplifier probably my SE 45 tube amp or maybe my SE 300B. My Firstwatt F4 is very close sounding to either one of those amplifiers with the right preamplifier if one must have SS. 

My thoughts are, were, much the same in comparing my Wright 2a3's and the Pass Amp Camp single ended Class A all being monoblocks. The more I listen the more I have shifted to the Pass having overtaken the 2a3's for shear drive, tremendous upper end sparkle, added bass and wipe your glasses clean clarity. My eyes really opened when after a session with Cincymat hearing both Jubes and single ended tubes for the first time and hearing the Pass again the next day. With the Wrights I don't think I put the Jubes best foot forward as heard a rather big jump forward with the Pass amps. And these are very inexpensive DIY amps put together by Justin Weber who has enough knowledge to realize how much the original design required a much better than stock power supply and installed dual regulated supplies. These amps are really, really good and I've heard plenty.

And to add that upon hearing the flea power Wrights Cincy commented right at the start how much better they sounded than another high power UL tube monoblock touted on the Forum. For me, single ended whether it be tubes or SS is my personal favorite. And I wonder if the investment to a First Watt is now worth the expense? Justin confirmed his version of the Amp Camps are indeed a sonic poor mans FW.

On 3/26/2017 at 6:10 AM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Thanks for the report on the Marantz.

How do you like it vs your Kenwood? 

I like it a lot and no regrets! It is not going back :) I have had a couple of weeks or so with it and it is very solid performer. My Chorus have never sounded better. It makes me not miss the Kenny, which has been in the closet since this Marantz was fired up. The pm8005 just plain sounds good to me. It has a lot of characteristic sound of the Kenwood (which is high praise as far as I am concerned) with more clarity and control. Real nice bass. Sorry but I am not so good at describing the sound. I really believe the Kenny would compare favorably if it was refreshed, after all it is 40 years old. I intend to do that at some point. The KA 9100 has it all over the Marantz in looks... I am a sucker for a pretty silver face and bouncing meters...

• Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 9:21 AM, DizRotus said:

If you're at all into DIY, I suggest a TDA7297 for less than the cost of lunch as your stand in.  You will be amazed, as will friends and family.  A search of this forum, espcially posts from @rhing, as well as a Google search, will provide all you need to know to get a stand in while you have a restoration done.

Thanks for that input! I am a fair hand with a soldering iron, etc. Used to do board level electronics repair in a former life :) I need to investigate that further. I just haven't gotten up the energy to pursue it yet.