Denon x4300h or onkyo rz810

klipsch_home

Hi,

I currently have Onkyo NR609 driving 2 fronts - RP280fs and 1 center speaker - 450c. I really like our system so far but not sure if Onkyo Nr 609 is good enough for my speakers.

1. Considering upgrade to either Denon X4300h or Onkyo RZ810/RZ800. Does anyone have any feedback which one will be better? Our usage is 60 % music and 40 % movies.

2. Anyone compared Onkyo NR series with RZ series receivers and has any feedback on audio quality/clarity differences between them?

Any pointers much appreciated.

Edited by klipsch_home

1 hour ago, klipsch_home said:

Hi,

I currently have Onkyo NR609 driving 2 fronts - RP280fs and 1 center speaker - 450c. I really like our system so far but not sure if Onkyo Nr 609 is good enough for my speakers.

1. Considering upgrade to either Denon X4300h or Onkyo RZ810/RZ800. Does anyone have any feedback which one will be better? Our usage is 60 % music and 40 % movies.

2. Anyone compared Onkyo NR series with RZ series receivers and has any feedback on audio quality/clarity differences between them?

Any pointers much appreciated.

Why are you not sure if that current receiver is "good enough"? It has 7 channels, you are only using 3. It has 100 watts per channel, more than enough to drive your speakers to painfully loud levels without distortion before the cops come knockin. It is a good midlevel receiver the same as the other two you mentioned except they are newer with a few extra features you most likely will not use.

The newer Denon and Onkyo are $1500 and $1300 respectively. In my opinion, you would just be throwing that money away.

Thanks Miliellie, sure it would be great if I don't have to shell out more money :)

>> Why are you not sure if that current receiver is "good enough"?

My understanding is RZ series is notch higher than the NR series and putting RZ receiver might improve sound clarity. 

Also, reason for looking for 120+ watts speaker is again the hope it may make sound more clear and give more energy to speakers - heck Onkyo rz marketing material says - "Your speakers will thank you" :)

NR 609 is running good. I picked Denon x4300h from local store for a good deal but haven't still opened it.

100 or 120 watts is pretty much the same.  To get an extra 3 db of headroom you need a 200 watt avr.  If clarity is a problem, there is good chance it is the room and setup.  I have ran my RF 7's off a 100 watt cheap Sony without problems.  Chasing power specs may not be the answer.  Pic's of the setup may help others offer suggestions.

I'm a big Denon fan, but looking at the builds of each of those units the Onk's look better to me.  That Denon is built in Vietnam and the Onks built in Malaysia.  Onkyo has had board and HDMI issue from the past, but they have likely cleaned that up by now. The Onk's also have a toroidal power supply, which are seen in many upper amps, yet Denon hasn't gone this route at least in good while. The upper Denon line is usually built in Japan like the upper Marantz line which has value to some.  I think many of the mid to upper AVR lines are indistinguishable audio wise for most people and should be bought on reliability and features alone.  You hook up 7 floor standers to be powered and that's when a very good AVR shows its worth on a bench test by not getting clobbered and still being able to feed all of them cleanly and with not too much power loss.

Like mentioned above, if your unit is not producing the sound you want, you might consider updating your mains to something larger and use the 280's as rears, if you have the space.

I just don't see a new AVR saving the day or adding any big sound benefit cost wise, but there would be some improvements on paper, whether you can hear it is the big question.

In the past few years I've had Yamaha, Onkyo, H-K, and Denon.

We think the H-K and Denon sound better than Yamaha or Onkyo.

I always thought my Onkyo sounded bloated.

The Yamaha sound too flat--not enough dynamics.

The H-K--older not the digital models--always sound good.

My newer X1200W Denon sounds open and powerful and has

all kinds of features.

Thanks to all for your advice. I did end up returning Denon (listened to one in store and wife was not convinced if it was better than current Onkyo we have). Today I grabbed Klipsch R - 115sw from local store for 449 dollars. Hoping to turn it on this weekend. This thing looks huge..

From what I have learnt so far, if I use crossover low pass filter config of my receiver, this should help my receiver give more power to mid and high frequency signals (whatever power it saves from not having to amplify low frequencies). Anyone with experience please confirm if this is correct understanding.

Edited by klipsch_home
  • Like 1