Belle's with 18"

Srinath

I have a few 18" lying about, most notably a pair of B&C and a pair of JBL 2241's.

I am thinking I'll rig up 18"s in a belle type cabinet.

Or a cornwall style one.

I've heard LaScala's have higher efficiency but lack a bit of bass. Does the bell solve that or is the cornwall still better for bass. I don't care about efficiency, I like a good sound stage and good bass.

I suspect a straight up facing you set of drivers will deliver better sound stage. But there are even downfiring woofers that manage to give you that, so I am not sure.

Cool.

Srinath.

IMHO the Belle and LaScala have about the same bass performance.  Scaling up by 18/15 (1.2) might make some improvement but not spectacular. I'm not quite sure whether we look at linear dimensions or area dimensions in all cases. 

I'd looked at the numbers years ago.  The K-Horn and LS and Belle all have a same mouth size of 4 square feet.  This is an important parameter.  

OT: The flare constant LS and Belle are 60 Hz (doubles area in 12 inches) while the K-Horn is 45 Hz (doubles ever 16 inches). (1.33 ratio).  A very important parameter. 

My guess is that these do not tell the whole story on why the K-Horn has that much better bass.  Perhaps the room modes are more prevalent at low freqs and therefore boost the K-Horn more than the LS.  The LS might trigger modes in a small room while the K-Horn does so in a large room. Further, the resonance of the K-Horn system is deeper.  System response below resonance always takes a nosedive.

The K-Horn is "really in the corner."  Which must help.  Making a bigger LS makes it bulky and, arguably, less in the corner.

This is again OT.  But there is the issue of reactance annulling.  My analysis is that corner loading reduces the reactance or mass effect.  That probably means the resonance goes up a bit and bass response is different when in a corner. (edited)

But, yeah.  Unless you have an optimized room, the CW or Chorus, Forte, Quartet will do better on the deep bass number.

WMcD