RP-140SA As Surrounds???

teglude97

Has anyone used the rp-140SA's as surrounds?  I currently have RP-280f's front channels, RP-450C Center, and a R-112SW sub.  I would really like to pair the RP-250s with this setup, but my room has limited me.  The surrounds will have to go between a closet door and the rear wall with only about 2ft clearance.  I was hoping the 140SA would work well there, but would like some opinions.  Also, since the are angled, should I mount them up high?  Thank you so much!!! 

You don't really want to install a wide dispersion speaker near corners. It can really wreck the width they create with additional cancellation. The 140sa will do just fine with 280, and 450, that is what I run. If you can afford, and want something larger, by all means get that.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, teglude97 said:

Thank you for the quick replies!!!  Should I mount them up high since they're angled down?

For those that said the 140s are a bad choice, what would you recommend?  I'm assuming bipoles would not work that close to the wall.  Is that true?

It would be nice to see a pic of the room to see exactly what type of space the surrounds are going in before making recommendations.  It's not that the 140s are bad, it would be nice to get something a bit larger.  How large is the room?

Well, I wish I could share a pic of the room...The house is just a concrete slab right now (we're building).  The room is 15x25, but it's really about a 15x17 foot rectangle with an 8x6 hallway hanging off of it.  The hallway part has sloped ceilings on either side and a window at the end.  Ceilings are 9ft.  Hope that all makes sense...

I have a smaller room (14x10) and use 3 pairs of RP-140SA - front Atmos, surround, and rear surround, and I think they work really well.  As surrounds, they seem diffuse enough to build a nice soundfield, yet direct enough for spatial references.  I spent many years as a projectionist / theater set up and calibration tech for a major theater chain so I have a pretty decent ear for what it should sound like.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ian said:

I have a smaller room (14x10) and use 3 pairs of RP-140SA - front Atmos, surround, and rear surround, and I think they work really well.  As surrounds, they seem diffuse enough to build a nice soundfield, yet direct enough for spatial references.  I spent many years as a projectionist / theater set up and calibration tech for a major theater chain so I have a pretty decent ear for what it should sound like.

Thank you for the info!  Do you have them mounted above the listening area so they are angled at the listener?

21 minutes ago, teglude97 said:

Thank you for the info!  Do you have them mounted above the listening area so they are angled at the listener?

I have them mounted flush with the wall using the keyhole on the back and the angle points down at the listener.  On the side surrounds the angle is just right, but in the back, the angle ends up being about mid-room.  Because the dispersion is pretty broad (far more so than a bookshelf speaker) the angle doesn't need to be exact, though.  I had purchased a pair for Atmos and then read an article about  @Jay L using them as surrounds and thought I'd give them a try.  

Like I said, I really like them and they seem pretty ideal for a mix of old Dolby Surround (matrixed format) where dipole speakers used to be important, and the latest 7.1 and Atmos/DTS-X soundtracks where you want more localized sounds.  Plus, they're small, relatively inexpensive, and use the RP horns so they match up well.  The opening of Gravity (Diamond Edition) with Atmos really shows how well they match up as Sandra Bullock and George Clooney's voices circle around the room. The intense opening of Mad Max: Fury Road is also awesome with the voices all around the soundfield.

• Like 1