better AV Receiver choice?

Art D

I have to replace my 12+ yr old Harman Kardon AVR 630 multi-channel receiver.  I've been very pleased with it's performance but one of the channel amps has blown out.  I am running Klipsch SF1's, SC-1 Center, KB1.1, and a KSW10 Sub.   I prefer analog 7 channel inputs, so I've narrowew it down to the Harman Kardon AVR 2600 versus Marantz SR5011.  Any thoughts or suggestions on which might pair better with my speaker types?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Art D

2 hours ago, Art D said:

I prefer analog 7 channel inputs,

Do you mean using RCA jacks instead of HDMI?

What I'm getting at is you can get some great older flagship model AVR's that had $3k retail pricetags for a fraction of the price, like $200-500.

+++

I think I am your opposite as I want only HDMI connection, no RCA.  I really like cutting out all those extra cables.

• Like 1

Just now, wvu80 said:

Do you mean using RCA jacks instead of HDMI?

What I'm getting at is you can get some great older flagship model AVR's that had $3k retail pricetags for a fraction of the price, like $200-500.

+++

I think I am your opposite as I want only HDMI connection, no RCA.  I really like cutting out all those extra cables.

Yes.  My Pioneer DVD-Audio/SACD player has separate analog outputs for all 5.1 channels (front L, center, front R, rear L, rear R, and sub). My current HK 630, and the HK 260 and Marantz 5011 have matching individual analog inputs for each of the same channels.  A gaggle of gold tipped Monster cables help.  The multi channel mix on the DVD-Audio discs really sounds awesome and the true channel separation is really terrific.  Since both of the new receivers I'm eyeing provide that type input (as well as a good handful of HDMI and optical in's), I'm looking for any comments of suggestions as to which of these brands of amplifier sections are a better match with Klipsch.  The HK is a more high-current output amp than the Marantz.  Any differences in the sound?  Marantz is warmer, HK is brighter, etc?

54 minutes ago, Art D said:

I'm looking for any comments of suggestions as to which of these brands of amplifier sections are a better match with Klipsch. 

I'm not much help in that department.  I have an Onkyo 717 AVR I like with my Khorns but I haven't listened to anything else.  My Onk probably has 20 different listening modes and they color the sound dramatically, at least as much as buying new speakers.

The Onk is 7.2 110 wpc but I like to run it in 2.1 and 3.1.  If I take it to 5.1 the Khorns sound like somebody threw a blanket over them.  I don't know what the deal is but it's like the side surrounds are sucking all the juice out of the L/C/R.  The Khorns are MUCH more dynamic at 2.1 and 3.1 sounds even better.

And remember, always run a sub.  It makes the mains sound better.  :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, IbizaFlame said:

I have a Yamaha RX-V2500 that I'm selling that was the last entry before HDMI. It's a beefy unit and would provide a decent amount of power.

That sounds ideal for Art.  Max quality, good power, decent price for both buyer and seller.

I am not actively looking, but if I found a nice beefy AVR at a good price from somebody wanting to upgrade to Atmos I would consider it.  I used to worry about "future proofing" but the standards change so often a person is better off waiting until they need a certain feature and buying at that time.

Do we have 8K video yet?  I need one.   :rolleyes:

$200 shipped.  I'm pretty sure I have the manual stashed away somewhere.  I have the remote, and the AVR itself is in really good shape.  It's been sitting in a cabinet at my grandmother's since I scrapped the project to rebuild her console stereo.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v2500_black__u/

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:46 PM, IbizaFlame said:

$200 shipped.  I'm pretty sure I have the manual stashed away somewhere.  I have the remote, and the AVR itself is in really good shape.  It's been sitting in a cabinet at my grandmother's since I scrapped the project to rebuild her console stereo.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v2500_black__u/

I might be interested in this AVR if I knew for sure it would sound better than my old Onkyo HT-R510, I never owned anything Yamaha before

48 minutes ago, Purerock Racing said:

I might be interested in this AVR if I knew for sure it would sound better than my old Onkyo HT-R510

Funny you have this AVR.  My first AVR was a 2002 Onkyo "home theater in a box" model HT-R500 which is currently performing PC audio duty.  I will have to say, for what it is and what I am asking it to do, it sounds awesome.

Bill

I'm just over my old Onkyo HT-R510...  I also have a next model up HT-R530 which is setup in my man cave which has some additional functions and this OR-EQ function that boosts treble and bass and it sounds 100% better than the HT-R510.  The R510 is in the house for my main music/movie system, and I need to replace it with something better.  Do you have the remote for the 2500?  And is it in decent condition?

Edited by Purerock Racing

20 minutes ago, Purerock Racing said:

I don't want or need to spend $1000 plus on a AVR, just want to find an older high end AVR in the $500 or less range, I'm in California btw

Not sure where in CA you are but this is a pretty good deal.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ele/5965142196.html

As well as this beast.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ele/5990633729.html

I am pointing you to Onkyo for two reasons, one my very positive experience with the brand and two, you are familiar with Onkyo.

Bill

On 2/4/2017 at 0:46 AM, IbizaFlame said:

2 hours ago, Purerock Racing said:

I'm just over my old Onkyo HT-R510...  I also have a next model up HT-R530 which is setup in my man cave which has some additional functions and this OR-EQ function that boosts treble and bass and it sounds 100% better than the HT-R510.  The R510 is in the house for my main music/movie system, and I need to replace it with something better.  Do you have the remote for the 2500?  And is it in decent condition?