Heresy III

FTB

Hello all.

I have a pair of Heresy III. I got them on a recommendation from Crutchfield.

They sound like they are playing through a mattress. Or missing sound at times.

I have a Scott Stereomaster 340B Receiver & Music Hall 5.3 turntable.

Speakers are placed on the floor.     What can I do to make these sound better?  Such a bummer

I tried  the Pre Amp inputs  (Low-High). Not much difference. Almost sounds like it is fizzling out at times.  

Yeah,I did call Crutchfield. They are going to charge me about 3 or 4 hundred restocking fee to send them back.

Edited by FTB
spelling

32 minutes ago, bcarey13 said:

Have you tried other speakers with your Scott to rule out any issues with your receiver?

I have had the receiver tested out by a reputable stereo repair place(stereo lab cambridge,ma)since this dilemma. They said it is fine.

I tried some cheep speakers on the receiver and they sounded small, but not muddled like the klipsch

Edited by FTB

Can you pop off the front grills and make sure there is no packing material stuff in the horns?  Put your ear up to all the drivers and make sure the are working.  I have H3's - usually people describe them on the opposite end of the spectrum from what you are experiencing.

• Like 1

I have the Heresy III, they have in the room realness, clear, concise and very life like. Can hear backup instruments, plus fingers strumming the guitar.

Compliments my Forte II's. Note, my Forte's had been upgraded with Bob Crities crossovers and Titanium Tweeters & Mids.

What you describe is not normal. Anyone nearby that can assist you? Where are you located?

Thanks,everyone.  Today I am going to try a different amp/receiver.

I apologize for coming here and basically bashing these speakers.

I think a lot of factors are working against me(room acoustics,speaker placement,etc.).

There are sometimes they sound decent,say with Jazz or Classical. 

But if you play certain records or cd's, you will not want to play anymore. Too discouraging.

I am located in the Boston area and I do not have anyone to assist me.  Thanks again.

I had the H-III's for awhile and although they did not measure up to my Crites modded Chorus II's in detail or clarity they seemed ok on their own. One thing to consider is the speakers may need some break in time to sound their best and also placement can make all the difference in the world. You want to make sure that the speakers / horns are directed / angled to fire at you near ear level. If they are aimed at your knees you will miss out on a lot of detail and highs. Toe them in, angle them up if you have to, this may make a huge difference in what you're hearing.

8 hours ago, FTB said:

I think a lot of factors are working against me(room acoustics,speaker placement,etc.).

There are sometimes they sound decent,say with Jazz or Classical. 

But if you play certain records or cd's, you will not want to play anymore. Too discouraging.

I am located in the Boston area and I do not have anyone to assist me.  Thanks again.

Are you in Boston proper or the suburbs...I'm about an hour west of the city and could possibly make a trip out that way next week if you haven't resolved it

The muted soft sound reminds me of a turntable issue I had before a few years ago.  Can you tell us what your turntable setup is with cartridge?  Can you take a picture then post the back of your amp with everything connected

• Moderators
8 hours ago, FTB said:

Welcome

I didn't take is as bashing and like everyone here something is wrong. Listening to almost any other non klipsch speaker if anything they should sound bright or more live, not covered with anything. Even like a bedroom with them on the floor not pointing up at you on a bed but into other stuff they should not sound muffled. Can you put you ear up to each speaker and hear that each driver is working, use something like a towel to cover drivers, especially when trying to separate the top 2.