Heresy III

FTB

Something is wrong pictures of the hook ups....testing the drivers....need some more information to help with this. If one of the horns has no sound my guess would be a terminal clip came off of the driver. This has been an issue in several posts and it seems to be a problem.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

The  change I have made is bringing the speakers out in the room more,out of the corners(this has helped). And checking wiring. I am limited with space. Room acoustics are not helping.

Some recordings whether it be CD or Vinyl do the muffled thing more than others.

Now,I know some recordings are better than others, but, it happens frequently(muffled or dropped sound). Both speakers are working.

Thanks again.

Edited by FTB

Yeah Heresys are not muffled, they have that reach out and grab you type of sound. Listen to what these guys are suggesting, change out amps, sources, check wiring, etc.

A lot of times it's that stupid obvious thing that gets overlooked so retrace your steps and don't assume anything.

Have you done everything these guys have suggested to narrow down the speaker? Different amp? Different cables? Polarity? You said you changed the source which is good.

Find a CD you know is a good recording and try it.

If you eliminated all the external variables, look to the speaker. Check all the drivers like suggested. If a tweeter is out, it would sound muffled.

A guy on here recently had a problem with his LaScallas sound, finally turns out it was a setting on his amp he recalibrate.

If all fails, call Klipsch. They will help you figure it out.

Heresys have been around a long time and I've never heard anyone say they sound muffled. If anything, too bright.

1 hour ago, vondy said:

Find a CD you know is a good recording and try it.

Yeah,but what about half of them that do not sound good??

Is this a common problem(some sound good, but some very bad)?   If I play Miles Davis music it sounds good/decent.

I give up.

2 hours ago, muel said:

Hang in there... I'm betting you will be happy once we find the cause.

I remember a bad interconnect causing my system to sound slightly muffled.  

Yes,I would be happy if they sounded good. :-)

If it really IS the Heresys, then it is probably gonna be an easy fix since they are brand new.  Unfortunately, NOWADAYS, you have to pull the woofer to check anything out inside the cabinets.  It could be as simple as a loose connection to the terminals from the crossover...or vice-versa...but it would be HIGHLY unlikely that BOTH the speakers had the same exact issue.  It could also be something wrong with the crossover networks themselves...and finally it could be the connections FROM the crossover TO the drivers.  But I highly doubt the drivers, themselves would have an issue, since they DID have to pass a sweep test after mounting in the cabinets in order to be ready to ship!

THE very LAST thing I would check is the logos on the grilles...just a little humor there!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FTB said:

Yeah,but what about half of them that do not sound good??

Is this a common problem(some sound good, but some very bad)?   If I play Miles Davis music it sounds good/decent.

I give up.

Man if you are giving up then call Crutchfield and demand they take them back because they are defective. If that doesn't work, call Klipsch. Otherwise, go through the steps everyone is telling you to do. You came here looking for help and you're getting quite a bit.

Unless you are not describing the problem accurately, "muffled," there is something hooked up wrong or they are defective.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2017 at 4:45 PM, bcarey13 said:

Something is definitely wrong....I have II's and they are not like that at all. Have you tried other speakers with your Scott to rule out any issues with your receiver?

Read all the posts and I agree with bcarey. I'll guess the new speakers are AOK and the old Scott has seen better days. I understand he had it "checked out" but that wouldn't be the first time a tech said everything was fine and it wasn't. 

This is going to create an avalanche of I told you so,but I am embarrassed to say:

I tried the speakers on a 10 yr old, inexpensive, JVC Receiver. CD sounds fine,turntable is even more distant and unlistenable.

So umm,yeah the speakers are fine(I guess), and the turntable is not working properly or something.

Sorry everyone and thanks.

22 minutes ago, FTB said:

This is going to create an avalanche of I told you so,but I am embarrassed to say:

I tried the speakers on a 10 yr old, inexpensive, JVC Receiver. CD sounds fine,turntable is even more distant and unlistenable.

So umm,yeah the speakers are fine(I guess), and the turntable is not working properly or something.

Well now we need to get your turntable figured out....we are here to help....no [ I told you so]  are going to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FTB said:

Glad you found the source of the problem. Now you can dial in placement and toe in and you should be good to go. Keep in mind that they are designed for floor, corner/wall, and toed in placement to start with. Good luck!