Sub for Jubilee - Klipschorn

RSVRMAN

2 hours ago, jason str said:

Some amplifiers have high pass filters, you may need to do some snooping around to find information about it for the model you are interested in.

If i recall the Dayton listed above is -3dB @18 Hz.

Thank you for clarifying. Will have to look more to see what fan-less amps are available that have those capabilities. Would prefer to keep any noise out of the line and be class D if possible. If I go down this road, I may have to cave on the fan option. Guess will see. 

Just because an amp is rated 20 Hz to 20 kHz that does not mean it can't power frequencies below that lower limit.  It most likely has some built in protection.  In general, any filter being use is not a brick wall.  I use the I Nukes and get decent output down to 15 Hz and others report good output down to 10 Hz.  

It is fairly simple in the I Nukes to reset the 20 Hz hpf to 15 Hz with the DSP.  One thing I would not do is buy an amp for sub duty without any additional DSP.  Of course a Mini DSP can be purchase but, this  just an extra expensive and device in the audio chain.

The graph below shows and I Nuke amp using a Butterworth 3rd order slope at 15 Hz on my subs.  The tapering off starting around 20 Hz is ideal for a vented system tuned to 15 Hz.  You need the taper to protect the driver at 15 Hz.

1.26.2017 FR MV 0.png

4 hours ago, Zim. said:

I'm currently running a pair of Crown K2 for the LF in my HT.  No problem with sub 20hz content as their high pass filters are set at 8hz.   Far below what my lilwreckers are filtered at.  The K2 is an excellent amp but don't be afraid of a fanned model.  Fan noise can be easily addressed.  The qsc plx amps I'm powering my mains with run at a very low noise floor (below what my oppo 103 and 105 produce) after a fan replacement ($7 and 10min.).  

What is your opinion of the QSC amplifiers ?

I was considering purchasing something for testing purposes after i tie up some loose ends around here and was looking at these last month.

16 minutes ago, Zim. said:

The QSCs exhibit the typical neutral uncolored pro sound, yet at the same time are certainly what I would call very musical, with tons of headroom in my setup.

I have them in my HT running my Reference speakers.  At times I'll crank them for a demo at volumes you have to shout to the person next to you and more than once I've had people comment on how it was so loud yet didn't hurt your ears.  That wasn't the case with the rack of Crowns I had prior to that.  I catch myself turning the PLX's up and I'd catch myself turning the Crowns down during demos.

As mentioned by others, one option is to go with several large high efficiency direct radiators.  This method gives you the lower distortion (via small excursion on each driver) that would be desired with your horn main speakers.  Posted below are some topics regarding some pro bass-bins that were available for cheap a while back.  They were not subs and don't go as low, but they may go low enough for your needs (they do mine!).  Though still large, they may be easier to move around and position than a larger horn cabinet.

Also, ran across this other old topic you might find interesting:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jason str said:

Have you seen these. >link<

Yes, though since I have a rack and like to do all adjustments there I really would prefer to not use a plate amp. 

14 hours ago, Zim. said:

I'm currently running a pair of Crown K2 for the LF in my HT.  No problem with sub 20hz content as their high pass filters are set at 8hz.   Far below what my lilwreckers are filtered at.  The K2 is an excellent amp but don't be afraid of a fanned model.  Fan noise can be easily addressed.  The qsc plx amps I'm powering my mains with run at a very low noise floor (below what my oppo 103 and 105 produce) after a fan replacement ($7 and 10min.).  

Give me your K2! Its old and you really don't need it anymore :) Good to know of the fans.

12 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Just because an amp is rated 20 Hz to 20 kHz that does not mean it can't power frequencies below that lower limit.  It most likely has some built in protection.  In general, any filter being use is not a brick wall.  I use the I Nukes and get decent output down to 15 Hz and others report good output down to 10 Hz.  

It is fairly simple in the I Nukes to reset the 20 Hz hpf to 15 Hz with the DSP.  One thing I would not do is buy an amp for sub duty without any additional DSP.  Of course a Mini DSP can be purchase but, this  just an extra expensive and device in the audio chain.

The graph below shows and I Nuke amp using a Butterworth 3rd order slope at 15 Hz on my subs.  The tapering off starting around 20 Hz is ideal for a vented system tuned to 15 Hz.  You need the taper to protect the driver at 15 Hz.

1.26.2017 FR MV 0.png

Thank you for clarifying, this is the info I was looking for.  It looks like I have quite a few options. If I'm not able to find a fanless, I may lean towards the 2502 crown or something along those lines. I would probably opt for a DSP in that case, even if its not used to have an amp that can be more flexible if I choose so in the future.

11 hours ago, Zim. said:

With the OP sitting on two unused channels of his dc-one this may be less of a priority...for others it is certainly cost efficient.  

Correct, allows me to save on the mini dsp if I get an amp without one. ;)

• 4 years later...

Hi guys! any thoughts on the Electro Voice MTL2 (1 or even 2) to acompany the Jubilees?

i have an alternative.. that is a set of  folded bass horns with 15" drivers. but they are kind of bulky and almost twice the price of a pair of the EV`s  (here is a link to the folded horns ad https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/audio-tv-en-foto/luidsprekers/m1787243538-bashoorns?_gl=1*gaclko*_ga*MTIwODg0OTExOS4xNjM3MDA5MjY5*_ga_GYS69R7SLQ*MTY0MjU4NDkwNC4yNi4xLjE2NDI1ODc3OTIuMA.. ) i could fit them in my room, next to the jubilees against the side walls of the room. but i am not convinced that this is way better than the EV`s.

i know the EV`s are PA subs. but they have a very good reputation.

my use is most for music and music videos. 

i will use them for HT also but i am not all about HT like some of you. allso.. for now the system will stay a stereo +sub system.

there are so many opinions... nice to have some help here.

i will pick up 2 amps this week:

QSC PLX 1802 for the LF cabinets of the Jubs

QSC PLX2402 for the subfwoofer(s)

All the best, Sjoerd.

9 hours ago, OilyBoy said:

Hi guys! any thoughts on the Electro Voice MTL2 (1 or even 2) to acompany the Jubilees?

i have an alternative.. that is a set of  folded bass horns with 15" drivers. but they are kind of bulky and almost twice the price of a pair of the EV`s  (here is a link to the folded horns ad https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/audio-tv-en-foto/luidsprekers/m1787243538-bashoorns?_gl=1*gaclko*_ga*MTIwODg0OTExOS4xNjM3MDA5MjY5*_ga_GYS69R7SLQ*MTY0MjU4NDkwNC4yNi4xLjE2NDI1ODc3OTIuMA.. ) i could fit them in my room, next to the jubilees against the side walls of the room. but i am not convinced that this is way better than the EV`s.

i will use them for HT also but i am not all about HT like some of you. allso.. for now the system will stay a stereo +sub system.

All the best, Sjoerd.

orrrrr... the THTLP (never heard of them untill today) 

1 hour ago, OilyBoy said:

orrrrr... the THTLP (never heard of them untill today) 

+1 on the THTLP

I built a THTLP and put it into service with my La Scalas a couple of weeks ago. It replaces an SVS SB1000 Pro (which replaced a low-end Klipsch 10" subwoofer). The THTLP is in a whole other league.

I'm driving the THTLP from a Dayton SPA250DSP plate amp. I've been experimenting with the DSP on the amp.

The THTLP produces a remarkable amount of clean bass. I don't have as much experience or as broad a basis for comparison as other forum members, but I'm deighted with it. So delighted that I'll be adding a second THTLP in a few weeks. (Two subwoofers can make it easier to deal with placement challenges and room peculiarities).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dave MacKay said:

+1 on the THTLP

I built a THTLP and put it into service with my La Scalas a couple of weeks ago. It replaces an SVS SB1000 Pro (which replaced a low-end Klipsch 10" subwoofer). The THTLP is in a whole other league.

I'm driving the THTLP from a Dayton SPA250DSP plate amp. I've been experimenting with the DSP on the amp.

The THTLP produces a remarkable amount of clean bass. I don't have as much experience or as broad a basis for comparison as other forum members, but I'm deighted with it. So delighted that I'll be adding a second THTLP in a few weeks. (Two subwoofers can make it easier to deal with placement challenges and room peculiarities).

thanks man. very helpfull. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 2:31 AM, OilyBoy said:

All the best, Sjoerd.

PA subs are often not suitable for home/hi-fi use, because they don't reach into the lowest octave or two.  They're not intended for accurate sound reproduction in a quiet living room, they're designed to get everyone dancing/pogoing/swaying, etc.  The lack of extreme bottom end is intentional, because in live sound applications, with unpredictable audience numbers and locations in a club setting (some on the dance floor/mosh pit, some at the tables or bar), the lowest bass notes just muddy up the sound, rather than conveying pleasantly and accurately what the artist is doing.  Even if the subs in the concert system can go very low, the sound person will usually roll off the deepest bass, in order to keep the sound clean and clear.

Although I can't quote anyone right now, Forum members experienced in sound reinforcement (SR) have mentioned this here a few times.

I have my eye on a pair of THT LP`s with 15"s drivers. I think i`ll just have to give it a go.

The nice thing is, i can pack them in wallpaper, the same print i will use on the walls. and put them in the corners.

this would really be a low profile.

I am just curious in how much of an improvement it will be.

8 minutes ago, OilyBoy said:

I have my eye on a pair of THT LP`s with 15"s drivers. I think i`ll just have to give it a go.

The nice thing is, i can pack them in wallpaper, the same print i will use on the walls. and put them in the corners.

this would really be a low profile.

I am just curious in how much of an improvement it will be.

They should work fantastic, especially for music.