Sub for Jubilee - Klipschorn

RSVRMAN

On 1/31/2022 at 9:28 PM, jason str said:

Tuba 60 would be a good pick as well.

The 60 is a monster also... anyone got experience with the 60 vs the THT (LP) ?

Like i said, i can buy a pair of THT LP froms a forum member nearby. I think i will just buy them and see how it goes.

That is also a nice way to meet a forum member.

i  initialy bought some QSC PLX amps but the seller cancelled the sale at the last moment unfortionatly.

so now i bought two Crown Macrotech 24x6 amps, 

Macro-Tech 24x6
Channel 1 (2400):
875 watts into 2 ohms.
745 watts into 4 ohms.
510 watts into 8 ohms.
Channel 2 (600):
375 watts into 2 ohms.
335 watts into 4 ohms.
230 watts into 8 ohms.

The idea is to use one amp for each side, so one amp will power both a Jubilee LF cabinet and a THT sub.

i think this will work out great, but please correct me if i got it wrong.

I will receive them today.

Maybe they are a little overkill for rhe THT`s but hey... no such thing as too much right? 

• 6 months later...
On 1/25/2022 at 8:16 PM, Islander said:

PA subs are often not suitable for home/hi-fi use, because they don't reach into the lowest octave or two.  They're not intended for accurate sound reproduction in a quiet living room, they're designed to get everyone dancing/pogoing/swaying, etc.  The lack of extreme bottom end is intentional, because in live sound applications, with unpredictable audience numbers and locations in a club setting (some on the dance floor/mosh pit, some at the tables or bar), the lowest bass notes just muddy up the sound, rather than conveying pleasantly and accurately what the artist is doing.  Even if the subs in the concert system can go very low, the sound person will usually roll off the deepest bass, in order to keep the sound clean and clear.

Information worth repeating.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, babadono said:

For music, as in not earthquakes and explosions in movies, how low do you need to go?

I’ve got a set of AK2 Khorns , and I’m perfectly happy with their bass output with music, but that’s my opinion  based on the music that I listen too . My grandfather enjoyed pipe organ music and brought a cd over one time ,he was not  impressed with my big speakers frequency response .My Khorns are down probably 3 db at 40 hz and down 6 db at 35hz  , but I’m happy with that ,because they never sound too thick down low  . To me 35 flat sounds too thick and bloated on a great deal of  music. I love my Khorns ,but  the Khorn is  not a powerhouse down low , however  to me, their just right for most music. Theater is different , from my experience 25 hz flat gets the job done , I can be very flat to 20 at my seating position , but it seems to add little compared to 25 hz flat .Having said this , I usually prefer a few db roll off at 35 hz and bellow for movies .🤓

• Like 1

4 hours ago, babadono said:

For music, as in not earthquakes and explosions in movies, how low do you need to go?

Depends on the type of music. Occasionally I will be out and hear a familiar song played through some "small" speakers and barely recognize the music due to the absence of the lowest bass notes.

• Like 1

Music-is a song by Madonna. When I played it with KLF 10's and LS1's with a KSW-15 subwoofer, the song was powerful and would shake the house down. If I play it on the UJ's (without a subwoofer) it sounds terrible, can't even listen to the song. It's rare, but there are some songs...

• 1 month later...

If I win the publishers clearing house, I’m putting three new Jubilee’s up front , with  the center behind a movie screen , they’ll   be running full range .Full range because  I want to take advantage of every last bit of the Roy Delgado bass horn , and I’ll augment the lowest octave if it proves necessary .In my experience a really good overdamped ported direct radiator can get the job done when used in multiples ,and if it’s contributing only at the lowest frequencys. ( below 40hz or so ) But what the H , I’ll take you guys advice and build a couple of big horn subs , maybe even give a few away just for kicks 🤓

• Haha 1

On 8/19/2022 at 4:58 PM, Tom05 said:

...To me 35 flat sounds too thick and bloated on a great deal of  music.

This was certainly my experience too with a ported Hsu sub I had years ago.  In hindsight maybe it was just adding a midbass boom.
I built a THTLP a few years ago and laid it down in front of the primary listening couch as a coffee table.  I listen to a lot of orchestral music in the background through the day and was amazed when I sat down for a real listen and turned it up.  The THTLP added a sense of the floor of the concert venue/recording studio which I had never experienced before.  It wasn't true on all orchestral recordings but on those that had it the effect was quite remarkable of being in the room where the orchestra was playing.  In recent years with Jubes and 2 DTS-10's a powerful and very clean lowest octave adds a lot to music and of course movies.  The combination never sounds thick or bloated.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Delicious2 said:

This was certainly my experience too with a ported Hsu sub I had years ago.  In hindsight maybe it was just adding a midbass boom.
I built a THTLP a few years ago and laid it down in front of the primary listening couch as a coffee table.  I listen to a lot of orchestral music in the background through the day and was amazed when I sat down for a real listen and turned it up.  The THTLP added a sense of the floor of the concert venue/recording studio which I had never experienced before.  It wasn't true on all orchestral recordings but on those that had it the effect was quite remarkable of being in the room where the orchestra was playing.  In recent years with Jubes and 2 DTS-10's a powerful and very clean lowest octave adds a lot to music and of course movies.  The combination never sounds thick or bloated.

That’s an interesting  observation 🤓