Upgrade Recommendations to replace Onkyo TX-NR709?

Kyle D

I'm currently running an all Klipsch 7.2 setup for my home theater and have been looking at upgrading my current AVR to take advantage of the new sound mixes now available (ie.  Atmos, DTS:X, Auro 3D).  I have been doing lots of research all over and I'm having a very hard time making a decision.

I am needing some recommendations from all of you but I'd like to avoid "fanboy" recommendations.  I know this may sound silly or somewhat counter-productive when asking for recommendations, but I want the advice to be based on both the kind of hardware I am currently running and also on objective information.  Just because someone has always purchased a specific brand for 20+ years should not be the only reason/justification as to why they recommend it.  I know MANY of you have a wealth of knowledge; far more than me, on what the pros and cons are of various brands/models and can also explain objectively what I can expect with a certain option.  I also am not looking to go crazy expensive with flagship models and because of this, going with brands like Anthem or Emotiva are probably out of the equation.  As of recent, I have been entertaining Pioneer, Marantz, and possibly Onkyo again (not Integra just because it's Onkyo with nothing other than a different name and higher price).  My concern with Onkyo has been there prolonged history of bad boards having faulty HDMI outs (seems like this is going on like 5 yrs, yes?).  I will add though that my only experience has been Onkyo - I've been pleased with the sound but wouldn't know what I am potentially missing out on since I have not heard another brand.  And in doing my research I have found many mixed review regarding some of their recent models (ie.  646, 656, 747, 757), and many people stating that the build quality has gone down hill.  Is this really so?

So, here is my current setup to give you all an idea:

Klipsch RF-7ii (L/R)

Klipsch RC-64ii (C)

Klipsch RS-62ii x4 (SS/RS)

Klipsch RW-12D x2 (subs)

Onkyo TX-NR709 AVR

Oppo BDP-103D

I was hoping to keep my budget under or around $800 if possible and I would prefer NOT to go with separates due to the fact that I have a very clean setup with a very open/minimalistic look, and I don't have any more space in the console I am using that was just recently purchased.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate your help!

~Cheers

Kyle, some of the Pioneer Elites are nice.  Anything from the SC 85 to some of the newer models.  Neural X is a feature to take advantage of the DTS movies since everything is not Atmos.  Nueral X is the similar to Auro 3D and DTS X.  Atmos and Neral X will transform most movies from the legacy formats to an object base format.  This will allow all the speakers to be used.  All the Pioneer Elites have discrete amps and plenty of power.  MCACC is also a plus with dual sub output.  I'm a bit of a fanboy, sorry.  I have also owned Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha and a few others.  They also make some nice avr's.  Marantz is also worth looking at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

Kyle, some of the Pioneer Elites are nice.  Anything from the SC 85 to some of the newer models.  Neural X is a feature to take advantage of the DTS movies since everything is not Atmos.  Nueral X is the similar to Auro 3D and DTS X.  Atmos and Neral X will transform most movies from the legacy formats to an object base format.  This will allow all the speakers to be used.  All the Pioneer Elites have discrete amps and plenty of power.  MCACC is also a plus with dual sub output.  I'm a bit of a fanboy, sorry.  I have also owned Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha and a few others.  They also make some nice avr's.  Marantz is also worth looking at.

Derrick, thank you.

I have been looking at the Pioneer Elite options, so thanks.  I also like the idea of dual sub output since I am running two in my setup.  One of the main points I am also trying to clarify; which I didn't explain in my initial post, is trying to determine what will be the best sound for my particular speakers.  I understand that all AVR brands have their so called nitches and types of sound.  Therefore, some will pair better with Klipsch than others - and specifically being that mine are the Reference line.  Of the brands we have discussed, I know Onkyo and Pioneer are quite popular in the Klipsch community.

You mentioned checking out Marantz, and I did look at the SR6010.  I will also admit that I am not versed on the Marantz product lineup, so there may be a better model that I should consider instead - I just don't know.  I will say that I have read some recent reviews about Marantz lack of support in regards to software development/updates being pushed out - especially when a current issue has been identified.  And in some cases, the update made issues even worse.  The SR6010 was one model where I did find some reviews discussing this.

Again, any more input you can add is helpful.

Thanks!

Most of us with the Pioneers like the clean, black floor of the sound.  No hiss, nothing but the cleanest, unaltered  sound of of the music or movies.  The Pioneers can't be described as a warm sound.  I pretty much have the same speakers has you and they shine with the SC 99.  I also have tube gear and listen to music 50/50 with the Pioneer Elite.  As far as Marantz there is one or two above that model you listed for consideration.

4 hours ago, Kyle D said:

My concern with Onkyo has been there prolonged history of bad boards having faulty HDMI outs (seems like this is going on like 5 yrs, yes?).

The HDMI daughterboard was not the problem but it was the fix, so close enough.  FYI Onkyo has extended the warranty for those models with bad boards until 2018.  It is not a problem with models in the last couple of years.

+++

I have the Onk 717, 110 wpc from 2014, a 7.2 AVR, no Atmos.  It has been perfectly reliable, but it does have the bad board no question, so it's not IF it's WHEN will it go out.  It sold for about 600-700 in 2014, so mid range.

I love the sound and it has tons of features and listening modes.  Don't let the .2 dual sub feature influence you as both sub pre-outs are exactly the same.  You can get the same thing with a .1 and use a simple inexpensive splitter.

I think the Onk 757 is the current version of what I have, 7.2, 110 wpc into 2-channels, $599 at Amazon.  If you like the sound of the Onk I think that would be a safe purchase.  FYI I have made purchases at A4Less and have had nothing but good experiences with them, units look and work perfectly.

Be careful when reading specs on the Onks, they are listing power at ONE CHANNEL DRIVEN.  You have to read all the numbers to get to what is important to you.

• Like 1

The SR7009, SR7010 or 7011 are the only models in the Marantz lineup that can be upgraded to Auro 3D.

The SR7011 I currently own is my fifth receiver in 10 years and the forth Marantz, all being used with a Klipsch speaker setup. Had a Onkyo TX-NR809 once which was pretty good! Added more clarity and punch over the SR7002 it replaced.

However. I'm more of a Marantz then Onkyo kind of guy with the new lines. I would go for the unit that thicks all of your boxes within your budget, whether it be Pioneer, Marantz, Onkyo or Denon (X4200 perhaps?).

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Why is this?  Would you mind expanding for me - give me some specifics as to why you feel this way or what has led you to this opinion?

Thanks!

I prefer to use Audessey above an other system. Maybe Dirac would be nicer, but Arcam is a lot more expensive. I do like the design of the new Onkyo line.

I would have had to buy at least the Onkyo TX-RZ1100 to get the same basic specs, 9.2 amplification. Where I live the Onkyo is 1999 euros, whereas the Marantz is 1799. I got a super deal on the Marantz, got it for a lot less. I also use a UD5007 from Marantz, so the SR7011 is a better visual match. My speaker layout is better suited to accommodate Auro 3D which I can get as a paid upgrade. That played a role.

Both my previous Marantz SR7008 and Onkyo TX-NR809 had a HDMI board that failed. Both where repaired and still function. So that was not a issue. Both Onkyo and Marantz match very well with Klipsch, although just my opinion. It's just that the Marantz appeals to me more. Just a feeling. Hard to describe. Onkyo is slightly more neutral sounding. Although my current Marantz is also more neutral sounding as far as I can recall then the SR7400 I had a long time ago.

Maybe my next amp will be a Onkyo in 2-3 years. Who knows:).

I do not use my setup for music. Just movies and games. I have a different two channel vinyl audio setup in the living room.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

• Like 1