Klipsch R-10SW horrible port fart/chuffing noise

Phil_12345

Hi,

First time owner of a new Klipsch R-10SW as Christmas gift from my wife to replace a defective Polk Audio sub.

The Klipsch R-10SW use in my HT/man-cave and over all I am pretty impressed with the sound of this sub - much better than the old Polk Audio.

The sub is mainly use for 50% movies and 50% for music, the volume only about 1/3 (9-10 o-clock position) - and positioned beside my main front left

speaker and about 1 meter from the back wall.

The issue is that this sub making horrible port fart/chuffing noise at a certain frequency - occasionally when watching movie, but horrible if listen

to music at only 1/3 power.   Hence, when listening to music, I have to turn the power even lower to get rid of port chuffing noises.

It's not the front driver making the noise, but the air port from behind the sub.   It is getting worse if power increased to

half (12 o'clock position) or more.      Blocking the port hole would help with the chuffing noises but the sub is not a loud.

Is there any thing I can do to get rid of this issue?    Return the sub is not 'really' an option because it was a gift from

the wife (you would understand).    Perhaps the port hole only 3" and is too small for 10" sub - perhaps 4" port hole would help.

I was thinking of making another hole/port perhaps around 2-3 inches beside the existing port to help with the out going air pressure.

Any suggestions.    Thanks

Edited by Phil_12345

4 hours ago, Phil_12345 said:

Hi,

First time owner of a new Klipsch R-10SW as Christmas gift from my wife to replace a defective Polk Audio sub.

The Klipsch R-10SW use in my HT/man-cave and over all I am pretty impressed with the sound of this sub - much better than the old Polk Audio.

The sub is mainly use for 50% movies and 50% for music, the volume only about 1/3 (9-10 o-clock position) - and positioned beside my main front left

The issue is that this sub making horrible port fart/chuffing noise at a certain frequency - occasionally when watching movie, but horrible if listen

to music at only 1/3 power.   Hence, when listening to music, I have to turn the power even lower to get rid of port chuffing noises.

It's not the front driver making the noise, but the air port from behind the sub.   It is getting worse if power increased to

half (12 o'clock position) or more.      Blocking the port hole would help with the chuffing noises but the sub is not a loud.

Is there any thing I can do to get rid of this issue?    Return the sub is not 'really' an option because it was a gift from

the wife (you would understand).    Perhaps the port hole only 3" and is too small for 10" sub - perhaps 4" port hole would help.

I was thinking of making another hole/port perhaps around 2-3 inches beside the existing port to help with the out going air pressure.

I had that sub for a year, got it new.  It should not make that sound.  The "fart" sound you describe is imo the main symptom of a leaking subwoofer.

To replicate the tone, find a test tone on youtube or something that plays low tones and play them.   You will get it to repeat at some frequency most like around 35hz.

You should not return the sub -- you should get it replaced as it is defective.  If you get the sound to repeat, get close to the sub and listen to see if you can hear where it's coming from.  Is a side of the subwoofer damaged perhaps, or around the amp a leak?  Something is leaking is my best guess.  

• Like 2

Doubt if its a leak if he blocked off the port and the noise went away but could not hurt to check.

Could be the foam Klipsch uses inside the cabinet came loose partially blocking the port, you should be able to see if this is the issue shining a flashlight into the port and looking for some type of blockage.

5 hours ago, Phil_12345 said:

Hi,

A diaper?

Mark

You have what 's called "port noise" and it's due to turbulent air exiting the port. It's a common design problem with ported subwoofers when played at higher volumes. Is is possible you're playing the subwoofer TOO loud? Perhaps if you moved the subwoofer CLOSER to the wall you could lower the volume, reducing port noise yet retaining the overall perceived volume of the subwoofer using the room's walls for bass reinforcement. You could also try experimenting with other locations for the sub, or perhaps changing the crossover frequency, which is a reach but won't hurt to try.

You could try to exchange the subwoofer as defective but I don't think that will solve the problem as I'm inclined to think there's nothing wrong with the subwoofer.

I think the ultimate solution for you is a sub with a passive radiator or an acoustic suspension subwoofer. Let us know if you cure your problem otherwise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

You should not return the sub -- you should get it replaced as it is defective.

Agree. 

Many of us have or have had 10" subs and under normal operating conditions it should NOT be chuffing.  I've been posting here for three years and this is the first time anyone has reported that sound from a 10" Klipsch sub.  I think you know what you are hearing, but it does not seem to be a known problem for that model.

On 2017-02-04 at 10:40 PM, RoboKlipsch said:

I had that sub for a year, got it new.  It should not make that sound.  The "fart" sound you describe is imo the main symptom of a leaking subwoofer.

To replicate the tone, find a test tone on youtube or something that plays low tones and play them.   You will get it to repeat at some frequency most like around 35hz.

You should not return the sub -- you should get it replaced as it is defective.  If you get the sound to repeat, get close to the sub and listen to see if you can hear where it's coming from.  Is a side of the subwoofer damaged perhaps, or around the amp a leak?  Something is leaking is my best guess.  

Hello,

Thank you for your comments and I did tried all suggestions posted here.    I did return the original sub after one week and got a new replacement one, but same issue with port noise.    Here is my system spec so hopefully my setup is correct:

- Harman Kardon AVR-144 receiver.

- JBL N38 front L/R  (older model, not the N38 II)

- JBL N28 rear surround (L/R) (not the II model).

- JBL SC-305 center.

- Sub connected to AVR to LFE using heavy shield cable.

- All speakers set to small;  Xover of all speaker at 80Hz;  0db power setting in the avr for all speakers.

- Grain/power at 10 o'clock on the sub (around 1/3 power).   Cross over all the way on the sub.

- Only watch movie/listen to music at -30db to -25db power level on the receiver.

The room size is about 12 feet x 18 feet in the basement and at 1/3 power is more than enough for movie/audio.   I just need nice clean but not looking for floor shaking bass.  Most of the time I use my HT/man-cave is after my son (12 years old) went to bed - hence don't want to wake him up.    I did check to make sure no air leak, block port,...... and definitely the noise caused by heavy air pushing out of the port at a certain bass frequency. 

Right now when watching movie, I would turn the sub volume at 10 o'clock position, set all speaker to small.   But when listen to music, I would turn the sub volume down to at 9 o'clock position and set my front speakers to large.  That would help a lot with port noise but quite a bit of inconvenience of changing settings for movie or music.

If I do a bass frequency check to see when port noise is as per a suggestion here, then what is the next step to minimize port noise at that certain frequency?   Also I am thinking of stuffing the port with drinking straws and see if it would help --> but then would decrease the sound output of the sub.

Edited by Phil_12345

On 2017-02-05 at 10:49 AM, wvu80 said:

Agree. 

Many of us have or have had 10" subs and under normal operating conditions it should NOT be chuffing.  I've been posting here for three years and this is the first time anyone has reported that sound from a 10" Klipsch sub.  I think you know what you are hearing, but it does not seem to be a known problem for that model.

My previous sub was the Polk Audio PSW303 - 8 inches compact sub but a little weak after over 5 years used and the driver bottom out often.   Hence decided to get this 10" Klipsch sub and it produced much, much better clean low bass that the Polk Audio.   Except for that 'farting' sounds   :-)

Edited by Phil_12345

Are you using a crossover on the receiver's subwoofer output or on the sub itself?  Sounds like you are overdriving it. What is the subwoofer level on the receiver set too?    Try "0" or a negative value, I think you are perhaps maybe expecting too much out of a 10" subwoofer that is a pretty big room.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Frzninvt said:

Are you using a crossover on the receiver's subwoofer output or on the sub itself?  Sounds like you are overdriving it. What is the subwoofer level on the receiver set too?    Try "0" or a negative value, I think you are perhaps maybe expecting too much out of a 10" subwoofer that is a pretty big room.

Hi,

I let the receiver to handle sound management - all speakers set to small and xover at 80Hz.  For this receiver, if front speakers are set to small then any sound under xover (80Hz) will send to LFE channel to the sub.  Sub level on receiver set to 0db (same with other speakers).   I don't think the room size 12x18 is that big - all walled in with a door intended as a spare bed room in the future.   BTW, my previous sub was a small Polk Audio PSW303 with even less power that this R-10SW and I used it for over 7 years without the need for more power - at less than half the grain set.    The R-10SW is a big improvement - I have no other complain except for this 'fart' noise once in a while.

1 hour ago, jason str said:

Drinking straws would help about as much as throwing a bag of marbles into the cabinet, get a better ported subwoofer to get the job done.

Hi,  I would love to get a 'better' subwoofer - but Klipsch subwoofers are NOT that that 'bad' right?    I know, the R-10SW is the lowest model, but it is expensive here in Toronto/Canada.  Best Buy Canada currently has it for $600 + 13% tax--> that is almost $700 CAN for the sub.   The wife got it during boxing week sale for $300.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/klipsch-klipsch-r10sw-10-300-watt-powered-subwoofer-black-r10sw/10303470.aspx?path=4a5458112e3b7243d64213721b083584en02

Edited by Phil_12345

18 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

Now that you had it replaced and it is repeating, the comment above about overdriving it is likely right.

The gain knob is not the volume knob for the sub.  It is only used to set the proper level relative to the front speakers.

I know when I had mine, I was at about 1/3 level also, but that worked fine in all cases without any chuff.  Above that level if made crazy sounds -- but that was because it was being overdriven to clipping levels.  That's not the same as chuffing due to port noise.  

Your level in that small room may actually be much lower.  Most any AVR has test tones or the abilty to at a minimum, set the levels of the speakers including the subs.  You want to calibrate the sub to the mains, even if it means doing it manually with a phone app.

Think of the gain as being something that must be set properly.  Once done, the volume is controlled by the AVR volume.  Turn the gain down as a starting point and work from there.  

3 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Now that you had it replaced and it is repeating, the comment above about overdriving it is likely right.

The gain knob is not the volume knob for the sub.  It is only used to set the proper level relative to the front speakers.

I know when I had mine, I was at about 1/3 level also, but that worked fine in all cases without any chuff.  Above that level if made crazy sounds -- but that was because it was being overdriven to clipping levels.  That's not the same as chuffing due to port noise.  

Your level in that small room may actually be much lower.  Most any AVR has test tones or the abilty to at a minimum, set the levels of the speakers including the subs.  You want to calibrate the sub to the mains, even if it means doing it manually with a phone app.

Think of the gain as being something that must be set properly.  Once done, the volume is controlled by the AVR volume.  Turn the gain down as a starting point and work from there.  

Hi,

I must admit that I feel kind of stupid right now - you are absolutely correct !!!    During the busy Christmas season and with the excitement of having the new sub,  I just simply forgot to calibrate the new sub to the main speakers using receiver test tones - and just simply unplug the old sub, connect this new one and set the grain by ear.    Thank you very much.