RP250S VS RP160M as a Surround Speaker 

nihirdas

Bookshelf Speakers as Surround speaker. I am planning to setup Klipsch 5.1 (Reference Premiere 260 set) , i have one doubt. RP250S VS RP160M as a Surround Speaker 

Can i use Bookshelf Speaker RP160M as a surround? I listen to music(via Youtube or Radio) and movies (via Netflix). My couch is next to the wall, and most probably i will Wall mount the surround speaker. I have attached my room dimension. 

I already have a pair of RP260F as Front stereo speakers. i have to decide between Bookshelf RP160M VS RP250S (Surround Speaker) , which one would be better , shall i choose dedicated Surround Speaker over Bookshelf or vice versa?

Thanks in advance

Arwag_Room_Dimension1_5.1_Setup.png

Edited by nihirdas
Added Room dimension

Describe the room dimensions a bit more and where your seats are.

In theory, the RP160M will make for a nice surround, but it is very large bookshelf speaker and will stick out from the wall significantly.

If either speaker would work well in a given room, I would choose the RP250S any day over most any bookshelf speaker.

The bipolar speakers are a lot of fun and sound amazing.  I have both options in my theaters.  They both work so no stress whichever way you go.  

Just now, RoboKlipsch said:

Describe the room dimensions a bit more and where your seats are.

In theory, the RP160M will make for a nice surround, but it is very large bookshelf speaker and will stick out from the wall significantly.

If either speaker would work well in a given room, I would choose the RP250S any day over most any bookshelf speaker.

The bipolar speakers are a lot of fun and sound amazing.  I have both options in my theaters.  They both work so no stress whichever way you go.  

Thanks a Lot for the reply. I have attached my room dimensions, Hope now it makes it more clear. Thanks again for your input 

Arwag_Room_Dimension1_5.1_Setup.png

Thanks that helps a lot to see.  Where u show the surrounds.....think about putting them on stands a foot or more off the back wall....facing in towards the sides of the couch.  With couches at the back wall 5.1 is the limit of your system and will be terrific.  Either can be put on stands easily and you can vary the placement forward until u like it.  Just above ear level or a foot or 2 above is ideal so each side of the couch is not blocked by other listeners.  You will love either but esp if u never tried a bipolar speaker the rp250s will blow u away!

4 hours ago, Whitey22 said:

If its any help i have rp260s as my fronts and have just picked up the 160m for my rears im just deciding now what centre option to go with :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RP260S as front speakers .. I believe its not good as for front since its kind of dipole speaker with wide sound distribution. RP160M would be better choice for FRONT and 250S for surround  

On 2/4/2017 at 6:12 PM, nihirdas said:

I already have a pair of RP260F as Front stereo speakers. i have to decide between Bookshelf RP160M VS RP250S (Surround Speaker) , which one would be better , shall i choose dedicated Surround Speaker over Bookshelf or vice versa?

Personally I would not do what you have drawn.  The problem is that the opposite seating position is in direct firing line of the inside tweeter on the other side, but the closest inside tweeter is missed.  It makes for some weird effects, plus the outside speakers are just firing off into no-mans land.

Given the situation I would put them beside you like they're supposed to be.  I realize there is no wall there but you could use stands.  However, since you need stands anyway, why not just get two more RP-260F's?  Would be awesome unless they're right up against the couch and poking into the ear of the outside seats.  

1 hour ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I realize there is no wall there but you could use stands.  However, since you need stands anyway, why not just get two more RP-260F's?  Would be awesome unless they're right up against the couch and poking into the ear of the outside seats.  

Hi,

Thanks for your response. However there is wall just behind the Couch. And i cant get the Floor stander for surround, my wife is already mad at the Boxes and the space it consumes, can't take risk to make her more angrier :) . So for Surround i am looking for Bookshelf or Surround, and as i said my couch is next to wall, and probably i use Wall mount for Surround to save some space.

• 2 months later...

Hello question for anyone who can answer. 

I'm upgrading from an all in one system to true (hopefully ) surround sound system.  I could use some advice on a few things as I'm learning as I go. 

Background in usage play games, and watch sports and movies. No music unless it's from one of those things. 

1- I plan on buying a denon AVR-X4300H receiver. Judging by the items I list will this be a good match together that will give me great sound? 

2- I want to purchase the RP-280F for my 2 front speakers 

3 - As for my center channel. I'm trying to decide if I want to get the Rp-440C or the RP-450C. From what I can gather it seems the specs are pretty even besides a minor difference in the frequency range. But can anyone tell me besides the size of the woofer and cabinet size is there a big difference is sound between the two?? And which would be recommended 

4- Next I'm trying to decide for my back/surround speakers which would be best for sound. The RP-160M or the RP-250S? I plan to have them at ear level behind a couch and if I choose the 250S mount them on a wall. If it's the 160M I'll mount them on a stand. 

Any advice I get is much appreciated and welcome. Not much of a audiophile but really want to upgrade what I have now to great movie sound.  

Also I am putting this in my living room as I do not have a theater room. 

Again thanks to anyone who responds.  I had no idea the rabbit hole I was going down when I started this 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2017 at 10:13 AM, Eric2706 said:

Hello question for anyone who can answer. 

I'm upgrading from an all in one system to true (hopefully ) surround sound system.  I could use some advice on a few things as I'm learning as I go. 

Background in usage play games, and watch sports and movies. No music unless it's from one of those things. 

1- I plan on buying a denon AVR-X4300H receiver. Judging by the items I list will this be a good match together that will give me great sound? 

2- I want to purchase the RP-280F for my 2 front speakers 

3 - As for my center channel. I'm trying to decide if I want to get the Rp-440C or the RP-450C. From what I can gather it seems the specs are pretty even besides a minor difference in the frequency range. But can anyone tell me besides the size of the woofer and cabinet size is there a big difference is sound between the two?? And which would be recommended 

4- Next I'm trying to decide for my back/surround speakers which would be best for sound. The RP-160M or the RP-250S? I plan to have them at ear level behind a couch and if I choose the 250S mount them on a wall. If it's the 160M I'll mount them on a stand. 

Any advice I get is much appreciated and welcome. Not much of a audiophile but really want to upgrade what I have now to great movie sound.  

Also I am putting this in my living room as I do not have a theater room. 

Again thanks to anyone who responds.  I had no idea the rabbit hole I was going down when I started this 

I am in the exact same position..including the receiver :) Very interested in the feedback from the nice people here.

What are you doing for the sub?